ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Stoops Post Game

JConXtsy

Sooner starter
Aug 2, 2001
Anyone watch Mike Stoops' post game? You can watch it on Soonersports.tv.

Three things came out of it that I found odd:
1) He preemptively stated (and then kind of glosses over his statement) that he knows he's going to catch flak from fans, and they essentially don't know what they're talking about. He even comments about how often they had 4-man fronts in the game, and he directs that comment right to the fans.
2) Back to blaming it on execution and not the schemes.
3) He commented that we simply don't have 6 DBs to rely on, and he made it sound like that was due to injuries. He kept saying players were 'out.'

I went and looked at the injury reports, and yeah, Jordan Parker is out, but he's out for the entire year. If he's one of the losses that Mike is griping about, then we're in for a long season, because he's not coming back..

The only other DB out to injury is Will Johnson with the concussion. Hopefully, he'll be back for Iowa State. OK, maybe that will make a difference? But we're talking about a single guy that is ruining the ability of Oklahoma to produce 6 DBs? Then one minor injury and we're back to 5.

CBs
Jordan Thomas
Parnell Motley
Tre Norwood
(Tanner Baum, Justin Broiles, Tre Brown, Caleb Nettles, Tylon Lynch)

DBs
Steven Parker
Kahlil Haughton
Robert Barnes
(Ryan Jones, Ronnie LaRue, Prentice McKinney, Chance Sylvie)

So how are Justin Broiles (early enrollee), Prentice McKinney and Chance Sylvie not being considered as major contenders in this rotation? What happened to McKinney? Justin and Chance are both major recruiting hauls.

How is Mike going to find 6 DBs without ever really giving these guys a try? He's got 2 weeks now to start working these guys in with the 1's on practice defense.

You've got more than 6 guys, Mike. Start giving the guys you trusted to recruit some chances.

I absolutely hated hearing him blame it on not having enough players when the only loss we have is Will Johnson with a concussion. You have to just write Jordan Parker off.

Interesting point by Berry Tramel

C Third down defense Baylor had converted seven of 35 third downs through its first three games. Then Baylor through three quarters made nine of 14 third downs. Most of the damage came through the air. But give the OU defense credit. With the game on the line, the Sooners stopped Baylor on four straight third downs, all Zach Smith incompletions, helped by Mike Stoops blitzes.

I had trouble believing what he wrote, so I went back and looked. Wow, he's really grabbing at straws here to make the Oklahoma D look more stout at the end than it was.

Here's the Baylor drives after OU went up 35-31 (after falling behind):

4 mins to go in 3rd
3rd down completion for 1st down
3rd down incompletion (Berry's 1st)
FG

End of 3rd quarter / Beginning of 4th quarter
3 and out - Incomplete pass to Mims on 3rd down (Berry's 2nd)

10 mins to go in 4th
3 and out - Incomplete pass to Tony Nicholson on 3rd down (Berry's 3rd)

8 mins to go in 4th
4 STRAIGHT Completions by Smith and 3 1st Downs
3 straight incompletions (Berry's 4th - Uhhh, yeah, because they didn't need 3rd down plays on the previous 3 new yardage markers!)
FG

3mins to go in 4th
6 STRAIGHT Completions by Smith and 4 1st Downs
RUN on 3rd down
TD Completion on 4th down

1 min to go in 4th
3rd down sack

I'm totally freaking confused as to the point Berry is trying to make. If you don't watch a game and don't know the score, his statement totally makes it sound like the defense shut down Zach at the end of the game. In reality, they scored either 13 or 16 more points in this span that Berry comments were "stopped on 4 straight 3rd down, all Zach Smith incompletions."

1) He preemptively stated (and then kind of glosses over his statement) that he knows he's going to catch flak from fans, and they essentially don't know what they're talking about. He even comments about how often they had 4-man fronts in the game, and he directs that comment right to the fans.
3) He commented that we simply don't have 6 DBs to rely on, and he made it sound like that was due to injuries. He kept saying players were 'out.'

Hey, one doesn't have to be a proctologist to recognize shyte when he sees it.

I went and looked at the injury reports, and yeah, Jordan Parker is out, but he's out for the entire year. If he's one of the losses that Mike is griping about, then we're in for a long season, because he's not coming back..

The only other DB out to injury is Will Johnson with the concussion. Hopefully, he'll be back for Iowa State. OK, maybe that will make a difference? But we're talking about a single guy that is ruining the ability of Oklahoma to produce 6 DBs? Then one minor injury and we're back to 5.

CBs
Jordan Thomas
Parnell Motley
Tre Norwood
(Tanner Baum, Justin Broiles, Tre Brown, Caleb Nettles, Tylon Lynch)

DBs
Steven Parker
Kahlil Haughton
Robert Barnes
(Ryan Jones, Ronnie LaRue, Prentice McKinney, Chance Sylvie)

So how are Justin Broiles (early enrollee), Prentice McKinney and Chance Sylvie not being considered as major contenders in this rotation? What happened to McKinney? Justin and Chance are both major recruiting hauls.

How is Mike going to find 6 DBs without ever really giving these guys a try? He's got 2 weeks now to start working these guys in with the 1's on practice defense.

You've got more than 6 guys, Mike. Start giving the guys you trusted to recruit some chances.

I absolutely hated hearing him blame it on not having enough players when the only loss we have is Will Johnson with a concussion. You have to just write Jordan Parker off.

Mike Stoops is a very weak 'dotard'....time has passed him by with regard to being an exceptional defensive coordinator at a school like OU or any school that plays in a conference dominated by teams that have such wide open offensives. MAYBE, maybe he would do a better job in the Big Ten. I don't really know, but he is out of his element now.

I know we don't know everything. But I know that it's cowardice to play a cornerback 12 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 5.

I know that we are much more successful when the defense is aggressive.

And I know that teams all across the country deal with growing pains from youthful players, especially in the secondary.

I know we've had several stud guys in the secondary progress negatively in Mike's scheme.

He can eat a big ole piece of that crap defense he uses. I hate calling for coaches to be fired but Mike has overstayed his welcome in my opinion. I said it the other day, as long as he is DC there won't be a number 8.
39d16ed5c1e5c204cb501532ea45f312.jpg

Reactions: iasooner1
I know we don't know everything. But I know that it's cowardice to play a cornerback 12 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 5.

I know that we are much more successful when the defense is aggressive.

And I know that teams all across the country deal with growing pains from youthful players, especially in the secondary.

I know we've had several stud guys in the secondary progress negatively in Mike's scheme.
And we all know how to teach a Linebacker to back the line, to move laterally, and not go plunging into the pile, getting out of position...Stay at Home, some time, LBs...

ADVERTISEMENT