ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Major

Clay came up with some big plays. He was a few steps outside the Sooners elite RB ring. Just hard to compare his style to anybody else.

Have to disagree with you on that one. OU has had numerous RB's over the years that were a lot better than Clay. He is WAY outside the elite RB ring in my opinion

You don't believe his injury early last season may have diminished his development, or that Brooks, Sermon, Pledger and Stevenson may have impacted his playing time....okay.
As for Clay, Alabama (2013), K-State (2013) and O-State (2012)....just to name a few.....might view him differently and his 957 rushing yards in 2013 was not a mirage.
I'm not at all stating Clay was as good as any of the truly great OU backs. I'm saying that while he was no Griffin, Murray, Peterson, Perine or Mixon, he was not of average ability.
He had a massive yardage total at K State one year and had a lot of carries in a very contested game wher Tyler Locket worked us over. That one made me realize Clay was actually pretty good.

Reactions: Oklabama and CTOkie
We should regard Clay's time at OU as significant and not focus on whether or not he was "elite", as it isn't necessary....or debatable.
OU's history has had many players of lesser notoriety, like Clay, who made contributions which produced game changing deeds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT