ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Major

SoonerSA

Sooner commitment
Sep 20, 2006
Not impressed with this RB. He had some opportunity last year and this year listed as starter. To date he has failed to live up to expectations. 2019 10 carries and 28 yards. 2020 11 carries and 31 yards. Our rushing was not up expectations against Missouri State considering our experienced line. McGowan shows he can play. Stevenson, our best RB is out probably until after Texas...sigh. We better shape up or we will become one dimensional.

I would think with Pledger out and an opponent like MO State, we had no reason to open up all big guns on them. I expect a much broader and energized attack on K-State. From all appearances, the Wildcats defense has about 2 ballers. The rest (and especially DB’s) look very weak and lost. Should be able to post 50 plus on them, and hopefully have Pledger in there. No real concerns that I can see.

Reactions: iasooner1
Rodney Anderson started his 2017 season 12/34, 2.8 ypc thru 4 games

Fans were saying he shouldn’t be getting ANY carries, Sutton and Adams were better

I wouldn’t write him off yet

That said, I think McGowan is the superior back. Better than Pledger as well.

Major needs playing time, which I'm sure Riley will give him for the next two games, hopefully behind the starting offensive line. His 2019 season was limited to three games due to injury and it's much too early to throw him under the bus at this time.
He had two decent runs last Saturday even though he gained only 31 yards.
I believe Major will eventually contribute. Give him time.

There is a temporary void in our talent with players opting out of this season. This void will quickly close as the season goes on. Players will step up and be game changers. The individuals that opted out will return to a roster that could have very little room for them in 2021. No one in irreplaceable and sitting out does not seem to be a good idea.. To make a military reference: Marking time gets us no where. Major will be ok with experience, if not, next man up.

Major reminded me of a 3 star talent just running hard. Allen Patrick comes to kind - or Brennan Clay. Serviceable but nothing else

you can see the gap in talent when Seth M touches the ball. My moneys on Major being 4 deep on the depth chart by Week6.

Major reminded me of a 3 star talent just running hard. Allen Patrick comes to kind - or Brennan Clay. Serviceable but nothing else

you can see the gap in talent when Seth M touches the ball. My moneys on Major being 4 deep on the depth chart by Week6.
Interesting thing is Major times much faster than McGowan in the 40. Not that it means much. I agree McGowan’s cuts are exceptionally explosive.

Reactions: jvancuren
Lehman and Ikard were shocked how mediocre the OL performed. Especially after Creed left in game, in the 2Q

It was out of character for Bedenbaugh to talk them up in preseason

They were down several guys though, mainly the 2 that took the most snaps at LT in camp

He had some brilliant moments. We could have a battle of the Smurf’s with K-State scat back Deuce Vaughn. A bunch will depend if Pledger gets back in there for Hudson to get many touches.

The OL did a lot of rearranging. Ealy is not a left tackle. He's a decent right tackle. And we are learning that last year's freshman hotshot might make a dent guard, but he's not a tackle.

The biggest disappointment to me was the OL's inability to create any movement for running in two goal line situations.

Second biggest was Major. I agree with the op. Those in this thread saying that Major just needs more time, are being a bit optimistic, to me. Major couldn't break arm tackles against guys who went 1-10 last season.in FCS. I believe his injury last season is still a factor. He might improve if he needs more healing. But there wasn't much evidence to anticipate that Saturday night.

When we have all hands on deck, after the RRR, Major is no higher than fourth on the depth chart.

Major won't ever be compared to Peterson, Murray, or Perine at OU.
But recovering from almost a season-long injury as he did last year, it's much too early to discard him as a good backup back the way Madu was, especially after one game with a lackluster showing by the offensive line.
I also remember how many thought Brennan Clay was a dud his first two years at OU, but his last two years showed him to be a solid contributor.
Major does need more time, more reps. That's not being "optimistic". That's just saying he won't get better by riding the bench.

I was always a big Clay supporter. And I think he proved his worth in the bowl game against Alabama. Major ain't in that ball park. He should be praised for gutting it out, given our shortage in the RB room. But Major ought to have to earn playing time. Right now, he's only playing by default. He looked less effective than Hudson, and not by a little. Hudson's not big enough to be effective as a pass blocker, and at 5'5, not much of a receiving target. But he did more to earn future playing time against Missouri State than Major did.

I was always a big Clay supporter. And I think he proved his worth in the bowl game against Alabama. Major ain't in that ball park. He should be praised for gutting it out, given our shortage in the RB room. But Major ought to have to earn playing time. Right now, he's only playing by default. He looked less effective than Hudson, and not by a little. Hudson's not big enough to be effective as a pass blocker, and at 5'5, not much of a receiving target. But he did more to earn future playing time against Missouri State than Major did.
Sure, let’s write Major off after he had only ten carries last season and never played after October 5.
Maybe someone can ask Riley why he recruited this kid.
Major may not pan out but with only McGowan and Pledger returning next year, it may be a good idea to show patience with Major....and hope Brooks returns.
Camar Wheaton needs to come next year.

And we are learning that last year's freshman hotshot might make a dent guard, but he's not a tackle.
Walker is actually in his 3rd year now

I’m surprised they didn’t leave Ealy at RT, and just let Swenson fill in at LT

But the real issues started when McIver went in at center

Sure, let’s write Major off after he had only ten carries last season and never played after October 5.
Maybe someone can ask Riley why he recruited this kid.
Major may not pan out but with only McGowan and Pledger returning next year, it may be a good idea to show patience with Major....and hope Brooks returns.
Camar Wheaton needs to come next year.
I know what I saw Saturday. Maybe he'll get better. But it's not playing time that will bring that about. It has to be healing. Because what he showed Saturday was nothing close to what OU level running backs look like.

I know what I saw Saturday. Maybe he'll get better. But it's not playing time that will bring that about. It has to be healing. Because what he showed Saturday was nothing close to what OU level running backs look like.
Obviously Major is not on the level that a back should be at OU.
I know what I saw too and that included an offensive line that needs to get a lot better for ANY back to have success. I did not see an OU team worthy of a number 3 ranking. I saw a team with potential, but hardly a finished product capable of winning a national championship.
Major came to OU with high credentials. His videos were impressive. He was a 4-star back rated the 17th best nationwide. All of which means little now, but OU didn't settle for "sloppy seconds" in getting him.
If he doesn't pan out, I can see him transferring this winter, but OU needs to give him every opportunity....now.

We have very limited options right now. And I believe his injury last season had taken quickness and strength away. He may improve. But extra reps aren't going to make a difference unless he gets better athletically than he is right now. We need Pledger to get healthy and Stevenson to get eligible, ASAP.

We have very limited options right now. And I believe his injury last season had taken quickness and strength away. He may improve. But extra reps aren't going to make a difference unless he gets better athletically than he is right now. We need Pledger to get healthy and Stevenson to get eligible, ASAP.
He’s their fastest back in campus. Had shoulder surgery last fall.

Agree.
I will add that after watching the complete game highlights, I did not see either Major or Hudson as being less than adequate reserves for Riley to use. Both players had some good moments, even against a high school defense.
But again, such a mismatch as this game was really makes it hard to accurately judge the team overall.

I've never seen such an average back as Clay get so much attention. I know he made some nice plays here and there but Barry had guys sitting on the bench that were far better. He never would have seen the field on those teams. Didn't Clay have something to do with Demarco Murrays gf or wife? I can't recall the details

I've never seen such an average back as Clay get so much attention. I know he made some nice plays here and there but Barry had guys sitting on the bench that were far better. He never would have seen the field on those teams. Didn't Clay have something to do with Demarco Murrays gf or wife? I can't recall the details
Bottom line....if Major can ultimately become an "average" back like Clay was....would anyone here be unhappy ?
To say he would never have played during Switzer's time is as questionable as it is irrelevant.

Reactions: veritas59
Bottom line....if Major can ultimately become an "average" back like Clay was....would anyone here be unhappy ?
To say he would never have played during Switzer's time is as questionable as it is irrelevant.

Actually its not irrelevant as it points out the average ability of Clay. I would really hope Major would strive to be better than average although he may not be.

Time for DeMarco’s coaching to kick in. Major is still a young back. Give him time to advance to a higher level. Will have a jam up once Stevenson and Pledger are back. Until then get after it Marcus.

Actually its not irrelevant as it points out the average ability of Clay. I would really hope Major would strive to be better than average although he may not be.
You don't believe his injury early last season may have diminished his development, or that Brooks, Sermon, Pledger and Stevenson may have impacted his playing time....okay.
As for Clay, Alabama (2013), K-State (2013) and O-State (2012)....just to name a few.....might view him differently and his 957 rushing yards in 2013 was not a mirage.
I'm not at all stating Clay was as good as any of the truly great OU backs. I'm saying that while he was no Griffin, Murray, Peterson, Perine or Mixon, he was not of average ability.

You don't believe his injury early last season may have diminished his development, or that Brooks, Sermon, Pledger and Stevenson may have impacted his playing time....okay.
As for Clay, Alabama (2013), K-State (2013) and O-State (2012)....just to name a few.....might view him differently and his 957 rushing yards in 2013 was not a mirage.
I'm not at all stating Clay was as good as any of the truly great OU backs. I'm saying that while he was no Griffin, Murray, Peterson, Perine or Mixon, he was not of average ability.

What?? I said I hoped Major would strive to be better than average. I don't believe I've even seen him play so I have no idea how good he can be. As for Clay, I know you and I have different opinions about him and that is fine. He made a few big plays here and there, but that doesn't mean he is any better than average by OU's standard. I would say he is something like a Chris Brown type of back. Solid but nothing special

What?? I said I hoped Major would strive to be better than average. I don't believe I've even seen him play so I have no idea how good he can be. As for Clay, I know you and I have different opinions about him and that is fine. He made a few big plays here and there, but that doesn't mean he is any better than average by OU's standard. I would say he is something like a Chris Brown type of back. Solid but nothing special
Chris Brown was solid and I agree he was not special when compared to backs that have been on OU's "Mount Rushmore" level. Same is true of Clay, Jones, Madu, Works and Hickson.

Hickson???? lol man you are reaching with that one
Hickson (2001-2005) always had guys like Griffin, Works, Jones, Wolfe (before he was moved to defense) and a some guy named Peterson but was a talented player who evidently chose the wrong school as a highly recruited player.

oh I know who Hickson was.....but he played sparingly because he wasn't all that great. Wolfe? Come on man he barely played RB before he was moved to D where he struggled quite a bit. That might be a good comparison though to Clay.

Reactions: CTOkie
Don’t understand how you can trash a player after he is gone. He worked his tail off and made a lot of plays.

Reactions: Plainosooner
Clay was kinda billed as a Demarco Murray versatile type coming out of HS

Solid but unspectacular. Co-starter his final 2 seasons. Seemed to get more action after Damien Williams got booted

ADVERTISEMENT