ADVERTISEMENT

Loved Riley's team management today...

Patriotgame

Sooner commitment
Oct 22, 2002
This is NOT a Stoop's bashing!

I thought Riley was VERY SMART in playing as many kids as he did so early in the game. Those were meaningful reps that can pay dividends throughout the year.

Stoops had a different philosophy. IMO, he would have left Mayfield, etc. in until middle of the fourth quarter with a watered down offense. That helps no one grow.

Again, just my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. One of my few criticisms of Bob was that I felt he made his starters more vulnerable to injury by leaving them in the game too long in blowout wins. Riley is more Switzer-esque. Very rarely doing Barry's tenure did you see starters in the game with a 28 point or greater lead in the second half.

I thought Riley was VERY SMART in playing as many kids as he did so early in the game. Those were meaningful reps that can pay dividends throughout the year.

Stoops had a different philosophy. IMO, he would have left Mayfield, etc. in until middle of the fourth quarter with a watered down offense. That helps no one grow.

Again, just my opinion.
I couldn't agree more!!! The offense doesn't progress any players doing grow when you go pure vanilla with starters. I absolutely loved the move by Riley to get backups in the game right after the half. That crap drove me crazy with Stoops as well.

Yes .... i liked playing second string players so they can grow.

I liked he looks of the second string QB.

Finally, i think this was the best overall season opener that the Sooners have had in several years.

Have to agree.

I'll add the back up QB looked really good, but Mayfield.. man.. he's just amazing... best player in the country, and he's on our team.. we're so lucky

For me, this is Easily the Best Post of the Day! I am not as interested in reading about how other teams fared, or who did what, Wrong...I like the positive reinforcement of Riley's long overdue, IMO, changes in the substitution pattern.

There has been more 'Screaming at the TV', in my home, the last few years, about this, than about anything else...Not at the officiating crew, not at the mis-reads, by the players, and not even at whiffed assignments, but at Bob...'GET HIM OUT OF THERE'! We are very lucky that we didn't lose a QB to injury because he was allowed to too long stay at the dance...

It has always surprised me that no coach has ever picked up on one of Bud's most successful of his many 'Winning Ways'. He didn't have a First Team/Second Team System. He had Starters/Alternates, and fresh players were always 'at the ready', and got in the game, almost automatically. An oversimplification of this would be that Bud would take the top 11 players and put 6 of them with the Starter's, and 5 with the Alternates, and build around them. It was often said that the #1 Team in the Nation was the OU Starters, and the #2 Team was the Alternates. The advantages of this are obvious! I don't remember any players transferring, for lack of playing time, when they realized that they were never going to get to see the field...

Thank You, Patriot, for stepping up with this...

Last edited:
For me, this is Easily the Best Post of the Day! I am not as interested in reading about how other teams fared, or who did what, Wrong...I like the positive reinforcement of Riley's long overdue, IMO, changes in the substitution pattern.

There has been more 'Screaming at the TV, in my home, the last few years, about this, than about anything else...Not at the officiating crew, not at the mis-reads, by the players, and not even at whiffed assignments, but at Bob...'GET HIM OUT OF THERE'! We are very lucky that we didn't lose a QB to injury because he was allowed to too long stay at the dance...

It has always surprised me that no coach has ever picked up on one of Bud's most successful of his many 'Winning Ways'. He didn't have a First Team/Second Team System. He had Starter's/Alternates, and fresh players were always 'at the ready', and got in the game, almost automatically. An oversimplification of this would be that Bud would take the top 11 players and put 6 of them with the Starter's, and 5 with the Alternates, and build around them. It was often said that the #1 Team in the Nation was the OU Starter's, and the #2 Team was the Alternates. The advantages of this are obvious! I don't remember any players transferring, for lack of playing time, when they realized that they were never going to get to see the field...

Such a great post SS!! Glad to hear from a fellow "TV Screamer" on here!! lol :D

There has been more 'Screaming at the TV', in my home, the last few years, about this, than about anything else...Not at the officiating crew, not at the mis-reads, by the players, and not even at whiffed assignments, but at Bob...'GET HIM OUT OF THERE'! We are very lucky that we didn't lose a QB to injury because he was allowed to too long stay at the dance...

It has always surprised me that no coach has ever picked up on one of Bud's most successful of his many 'Winning Ways'. He didn't have a First Team/Second Team System. He had Starters/Alternates, and fresh players were always 'at the ready', and got in the game, almost automatically. An oversimplification of this would be that Bud would take the top 11 players and put 6 of them with the Starter's, and 5 with the Alternates, and build around them. It was often said that the #1 Team in the Nation was the OU Starters, and the #2 Team was the Alternates. The advantages of this are obvious! I don't remember any players transferring, for lack of playing time, when they realized that they were never going to get to see the field...

Thanks Senior! I was going to bring up the "Bud" example but doubted anyone would remember. Absolutely the best way to build a college team.

Thanks Senior! I was going to bring up the "Bud" example but doubted anyone would remember. Absolutely the best way to build a college team.
You are very welcome, Patriot...It worked well, then, and it ain't broke, so don't need fixin'...

Bud set the Bar HIGH...There are still lessons to be learned from his style of coaching...

Reactions: iasooner1
A player that gets playing time is a happy player. Never any fun putting in all the work same as everyone else and not getting to get any playing time especially in a blowout win. I know some games will not allow for that if its a close game but in a blowout game you should get a chance to play.

This is NOT a Stoop's bashing!

Again, just my opinion.

Well said and very true.

Even Lee Morris a walk-on made a TD

Excellent post SeniorSooner

As a side point ..... I would be most interested in a STEPPED UP emphasis on recruiting of players. I feel that has fallen off in recent years.

Just my feeling ....

I was very pleased with the Sooners for their performance against an utterly-outmatched opponent and believe that what I saw in this team will continue to be available all season.

The Sooners offense looks almost illegal, it's so unstoppable. OU's offensive live is > anybody's defensive front in the country. That gives the Sooners vast resources to tap defensively, because the defense should not have to worry about wearing out in a big game. The special teams look rock-solid, and I'm left with little to complain about.

Maybe the Sooners need to generate turnovers, but when you have none of your own along with outstanding special teams, you control BOTH the clock and tempo.

This team will be a challenge for any opponent they meet. I'm looking for a dream season, because they are so doggone rare.

BTW, Ohio State gave up 420 passing yards to an unsung QB at Indiana. Last year they gave up an average of 172 passing YPG. Anybody see a potential mismatch here?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT