ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Golding is off the table...

The last coach hired by OU from Appalachian State was Mack Brown in 1984 as Switzer's OC.
Last I heard, Brown went on to bigger and better things.

Reactions: JoeOU1
I didn’t think Grinch called the defensive plays at Ohio State? If not, I’m not sure how one could pin all the Buckeyes’ defensive foes on him. He really hasn’t even been at Ohio State that long. Didn’t he do a very good job with Leach at Washington State? That’s probably got a lot to do with Riley’s interest. I think he would be someone to look at for sure.

Reactions: CalSooner
Let's see how it plays out if you read the article it's really vague about Golding... so until we here from good sources nothing is set in stone plus I mean let's be real we are about to play bama you think Nicky want to hear about that Golding talk about Oklahoma umm no so let's just be chill til after everything is over with

I didn’t think Grinch called the defensive plays at Ohio State? If not, I’m not sure how one could pin all the Buckeyes’ defensive foes on him. He really hasn’t even been at Ohio State that long. Didn’t he do a very good job with Leach at Washington State? That’s probably got a lot to do with Riley’s interest. I think he would be someone to look at for sure.
Very good? Not sure about that...………….They gave up some pretty big numbers and the Pac 12 is not the Big 12 when it comes to offensive prowess. But if Lincoln is comfortable with him and that is who he likes then I trust he will make the proper hire.

I sure hope Grinch from OSU is not an option, mainly because their defense isn't much better than ours, but what about the DC from Appalachian State? He has a pretty nice resume.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-oklahomas-defensive-coordinator-search/
I guess you are not aware that Schiano is the DC at Ohio State and calls the defensive plays. Grinch would be a good fit at OU. He understand the Leach type offenses and understand how to defend Big XII offenses.

Reactions: CalSooner
Very good? Not sure about that...………….They gave up some pretty big numbers and the Pac 12 is not the Big 12 when it comes to offensive prowess. But if Lincoln is comfortable with him and that is who he likes then I trust he will make the proper hire.
Grinch defenses showed marked improvements each year he was there. He worked well with the roster he was given. At one point they ranked #1 in tackles for loss in the Pac 12. He's had success wherever he has gone but has not been any one location as more than a position coach. He's a good fit for OU. Who else did you have in mind?

Talk radio this morning mentioned that with Meyer retiring that Schiano would possibly be looking to go elsewhere and that Grinch and the new head coach had a great relationship and that he would possibly be moved up.

Reactions: soonerdaboyz
Grinch defenses showed marked improvements each year he was there. He worked well with the roster he was given. At one point they ranked #1 in tackles for loss in the Pac 12. He's had success wherever he has gone but has not been any one location as more than a position coach. He's a good fit for OU. Who else did you have in mind?

I believe his teams were one of if not the best at getting turnovers, another good attribute.

I'm thinking Todd Grantham from Florida or Bob Shoop from Mississippi State? The OU job would be a step up for both of those guys. Not sure if moving from tOSU to OU is something Grinch would be interested in? Get back to that SEC DNA for defense ala Bob Stoops...………….

Need an attacking defensive coach. Too much passive defense from Sooners which has dragged us to the dungeon of bad defense. Whoever has that aggressive mentality and can teach these guys to be fundamentally sound. Bad tackling should be a hot button with LR.

Golding isn't out for the OU job. He is just in limbo until OU beats Bama on December the 29th or after the final playoff game. This is just Saban doing everything he can to keep his staff in place until after the final playoff game. I think Golding is still in play. Also think OU will pay whatever it takes to get a great DC.

I'm not saying he will be the OU DC. Just saying he isn't out of the mix and is still in play.

Reactions: Oklabama and CTOkie
Talk radio this morning mentioned that with Meyer retiring that Schiano would possibly be looking to go elsewhere and that Grinch and the new head coach had a great relationship and that he would possibly be moved up.

If Grinch is offered the DC position he probably stays at Ohio State unless the money is materially better at OU. He’s a Ohio school boy so being home and near family is likely a big plus.

I believe I saw Bama's OC is going to be a HC somewhere so Saban is already losing staffers. This might be why he's willing to fight hard to keep Golding.

I think it's Golding & Riley is going to wait until after the game. Otherwise, things would've happened already. The new DC would have been announced, brought up to speed, and on the recruiting trail already.

I think it's Golding & Riley is going to wait until after the game. Otherwise, things would've happened already. The new DC would have been announced, brought up to speed, and on the recruiting trail already.

That's a very good point.

Reactions: Oklabama
Let’s see how Golding attacks this OU offense.

Pretty good possibility that a lot of his fans might rethink their love affair with him after that game.

If he can put together a plan to shut down the Sooners, then I say throw the bank at him.

Let’s see how Golding attacks this OU offense.

Pretty good possibility that a lot of his fans might rethink their love affair with him after that game.

If he can put together a plan to shut down the Sooners, then I say throw the bank at him.

Good point...although Kyler is the best of the best ...and if our OL and Sermon & Brooks are in highest gear...it would be hard to duplicate that offense attack. The words historical offense apply if that gets thrown at Bama on Dec. 29th. I see nothing like that from the other Big 12 offenses anytime soon.

If Saban knows Golding is going to OU, do you really think he would want Golding coaching for him? Think about it. If OU beats Bama, that helps recruiting, right? What incentive would Golding have in beating OU right before taking over as the DC?

I can't see Golding coming to OU. It's just a gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong....but whoever becomes Riley's DC I hope he comes no later than mid-January, or better yet, by the December 19th early signing date.

What did you all expect, once OU was matched against Bama , or in the playoffs, this had to play out like this.....you can’t have Golding or any other coach let others think he is considering going to the opponent even if after the game, it looks bad and is a lose lose for the coach; he has to deny even if the contract is set in concrete....

But I will mention I saw that the Bama defense couldn’t even line up correctly against Georgia all the time.....so what is that?.....and good defensive stats in the SEC have to be taken with a grain of salt with the very very weak OOC schedules, reduced conference schedules, and several conference teams with flawed offenses....

I don’t know how this plays out but it won’t play out till after the last game played by concerned parties ....

I don't have any "insider" information on the person Riley might hire as his DC. My guess is that there are very few people inside the OU program that might even have a clue. I think Riley is keeping this hire really close.

What I do think is that all of what we have learned since Pete Golding name surfaced is that the current situation points toward him being the choice. The fact that all the noise of the pending OU DC hire has gone away. No one knows anything. If, Riley had interviewed other prospects the word would have gotten out. We haven't heard a word about other prospects for the job.

I think the lack of news or rumors points to Pete Golding. If, it is Golding, I seriously doubt we will know until the last whistle blows in the final game of the playoffs.

I think the lack of news or rumors points to Pete Golding. If, it is Golding, I seriously doubt we will know until the last whistle blows in the final game of the playoffs.
And really the longer this drags out, I think the more it points towards Golding. Cuz if it's Golding, then I highly doubt anything will be announced prior to the OU/Bama game. If it was someone other than Golding, then there really isn't anything (that we know of) standing in the way of Riley making an announcement very soon.

I don't have any "insider" information on the person Riley might hire as his DC. My guess is that there are very few people inside the OU program that might even have a clue. I think Riley is keeping this hire really close.

What I do think is that all of what we have learned since Pete Golding name surfaced is that the current situation points toward him being the choice. The fact that all the noise of the pending OU DC hire has gone away. No one knows anything. If, Riley had interviewed other prospects the word would have gotten out. We haven't heard a word about other prospects for the job.

Good post. This job might be attractive to Golding. If he can come in and turn our D around, he would be an instant HC candidate. That's where the big money is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT