ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the 2017 class and who might see playing time as true freshman....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Too early for speculation on how the 2017 depth chart will be impacted, but just for fun, here goes:
Marquise Brown (WR) and Marcelious Sutton (RB) play right away.
At least two of the four 4-star linebackers (Draper, Gumbs, Phillips, Murray) go into the 2017 LB corps. This is one of Stoops' best ever linebacking hauls.
The three WR's (Lamb, Rambo, Calcaterra) could contribute. Beyond Mead, Jones and Smallwood, the WR corps is inadequate. Miller and Green could be late bloomers. Obviously, Marquise Brown (JUCO) will be a huge addition.
Three 4-star defensive backs (Broiles, Tre Brown and Barnes) could very well be part of the DB corps, which is in serious need of quality depth.
DT McKinney may play depending on how Overton comes back from injury. If Overton is healthy and solid, McKinney may redshirt. That would give OU Gallimore, Romar and Overton the team's DT rotation.
The three 4-star offensive linemen (Ealy, Robinson and Hayes) could all redshirt if the current backups (Swenson, Julious, Swenson and Valentin) prove themselves as capable backups. My hunch is that at least one new OL, Tyreese Robinson, plays right away. My player to watch is Creed Humphery who could be in line to be OU's center in 2018. I think he may redshirt this year with Wren and Alvarez around.
Kicker Mundshau could be OU's hidden jewel and he could relieve Siebert of either punting or placekicking. Siebert seems to have regressed over last season so maybe he could be better served with one less kicking chore.
My concern is defensive end. Bledsoe is suspended until mid season and Ward and redshirt LB/DE Mark Jackson are listed as the only two DE's returning. Maybe DeBerry or McGinnis move over from linebacking.....or maybe one or two of the freshmen linebackers are converted.
With signing day a month away, I believe OU will close strong with a few surprises.

Reactions: iasooner1
Agree.
After losing both Perine and Mixon, and as good as the freshman backs are advertised, OU may aim higher to get an elite back.
Adams is solid, but Anderson is recovering from two injuries and the newcomers so far may not be quite ready for prime time.

Sutton being a JUCO transfer, so I doubt he comes to OU to redshirt.
Maybe, maybe not. He has three years of eligibility from what I've read. He was the backup RB, and played WR as well... might see time there, but I don't see him being at RB for OU in 2017...

Bringing in high level RB talent is not something I worry about at OU. So we might have freshmen carrying the rock. Stoops has amassed a list of RBs that got the job done and then some as freshmen.
Agree, but with studs like Perine and Mixon leaving, OU needs some instant impact backs to provide, to some degree, a seamless transition.
The same holds true at wide receiver.
The good news is that OU always reloads at these two positions historically.

Agree, but with studs like Perine and Mixon leaving, OU needs some instant impact backs to provide, to some degree, a seamless transition.
I'm definitely with you on that CT. Anderson should be good to play. If you haven't seen video of Sermon he has a couple of highlight videos on Youtube.

Sutton i think will be like a Damien Williams type not too small but not big like Perine or Mixon. He is made for this offense and extremely elusive.

And Brown if he is as fast as his film look he may not be as fast as Westbrook but he is not far off....plus he is almost the mirror image of DeDe

Last edited:
Both backs are good, and may see the field next season, esp if Anderson can not return. I can see Sutton being used in the as a return man
Does Sutton have two or three years eligibility left? I can't find a solid answer anywhere, which baffles me. I can usually find anything I want on the internet... :(:mad::(:mad::eek::eek::eek:

Too early for speculation on how the 2017 depth chart will be impacted, but just for fun, here goes:
Marquise Brown (WR) and Marcelious Sutton (RB) play right away.
At least two of the four 4-star linebackers (Draper, Gumbs, Phillips, Murray) go into the 2017 LB corps. This is one of Stoops' best ever linebacking hauls.
The three WR's (Lamb, Rambo, Calcaterra) could contribute. Beyond Mead, Jones and Smallwood, the WR corps is inadequate. Miller and Green could be late bloomers. Obviously, Marquise Brown (JUCO) will be a huge addition.
Three 4-star defensive backs (Broiles, Tre Brown and Barnes) could very well be part of the DB corps, which is in serious need of quality depth.
DT McKinney may play depending on how Overton comes back from injury. If Overton is healthy and solid, McKinney may redshirt. That would give OU Gallimore, Romar and Overton the team's DT rotation.
The three 4-star offensive linemen (Ealy, Robinson and Hayes) could all redshirt if the current backups (Swenson, Julious, Swenson and Valentin) prove themselves as capable backups. My hunch is that at least one new OL, Tyreese Robinson, plays right away. My player to watch is Creed Humphery who could be in line to be OU's center in 2018. I think he may redshirt this year with Wren and Alvarez around.
Kicker Mundshau could be OU's hidden jewel and he could relieve Siebert of either punting or placekicking. Siebert seems to have regressed over last season so maybe he could be better served with one less kicking chore.
My concern is defensive end. Bledsoe is suspended until mid season and Ward and redshirt LB/DE Mark Jackson are listed as the only two DE's returning. Maybe DeBerry or McGinnis move over from linebacking.....or maybe one or two of the freshmen linebackers are converted.
With signing day a month away, I believe OU will close strong with a few surprises.
Is Valentin on campus? I thought he was a non-qualifier. Hope I'm wrong.

Looks like 2 years. Graduated high school in 2014, 2014-15 RS, 2015-16 FR,
2016-17 Soph.

It's been reported that OU has planned for and expected both Perine & Mixon to leave this year all along. I think they have, as both were studs coming in. I think we're going to be good at RB. Not great, but good, very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT