ADVERTISEMENT

Logic of CFP Committee

SoonerTaco

Sooner signee
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2020
Yes, another thread on the idiocy that is the CFP Committee and rankings process as a whole. This is how I assume a conversation with the CFP committee would have went last Tuesday:

Me: remind me why Bama is ranked so high? Didn't they barely squeak by a pretty bad Florida team?
CFP: because their only loss is to a really good Texas A&M team
Me: what makes Texas A&M really good? Didn't they lose to a couple pretty average team?
CFP: because they beat the current #2 team in the country in Alabama
Me: ...... hmmm... the logic seems a little circular, but alright

Me: So, why is Ohio St ranked so high? Weren't they in a dog fight with a really bad Tulsa team? And then barely squeak by (at home) against a pretty average team in Penn State?
CFP: because their only loss is to a really good Oregon team.
Me: what makes Oregon really good? Didn't they lose to a really, really bad Stanford team?
CFP: because they beat the #5 team in the country (on the road) in Ohio State
Me: ......hmmmm... again, the logic seems a little circular... but even though it's bad logic, at least it's consistent.

Me: So, with this logic, shouldn't Oklahoma State at least be a top 10 team? I mean, their only loss is to an Iowa St team (on the road) which is a much better loss than Oregon's and not a whole lot worse than Alabama's.
CFP: Oh no, they don't even have a top-10 win. Their only good win is against a decent Baylor team
Me: Well what makes Baylor only decent? They only have one loss
CFP: Yeah but that loss was to Oklahoma State, who isn't even a top-10 team.
Me: lmao ok

It just cannot be emphasized enough how idiotic the CFP rankings process is. A bunch of suits behind closed doors with inconsistent, illogical, ambiguous, and arbitrary selection methods.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.