ADVERTISEMENT

Lifetime Nebraska fan in Omaha looking to amp up Oklahoma fanhood

Jan 25, 2003
Backstory: Nebraska politics interfered into the AD department, destroying any possible winning culture.

1997: Tom pushed a coach with a terrible drinking and pill popping coach who would take a cheerleader (legal age mistress) with him on his trips. He didnt even hide it. A team evolved over time to the new leadership medium. It doesn't have to be overnight, such as in this case.

2003: Frank wasn't getting any better. He despised recruiting his entire tenure. Every year, we replaced top shelf players with doormat Mac caliber players. Frank thought he could coach, he could coach a little. But not really. So we did the wise thing of firing the AD, but lazily hired a bearucrat that didnt know how hiring D1 coaches works. He botched 8 coaching candidates whom some came out and said they do not want to coach under him. He eventually hired a recently fired, desperate Bill Callahan. Bill could recruit pretty well, but his nepotism of a coaching staff was a pure disaster. Including a well-known defensive coordinator whom fans everywhere wonder how he keeps landing a job.

2007: Kevin Cosgrove's defense regressed to the point where we were allowing 50-80 points a game. Screenshots of old ladies with walkers were photoshopped as a true satire that a broken, old lady would have stats of a heisman candidate against our defense. No arguments here, every team had a tom brady and a 3000 yard runner. Somehow, he still has a job.

2007 still: Pederson was out, and the old conservative hiring AD was back. Tom Osborne refused to go above 2 million. So he had one candidate on his mind. Not two, just one. No scanning the field, his mind and Bo Pelini's mind were made up. Even though Bo proved to be an average coach and below average recruiter, I can only imagine how much worse it could have been.

2015: The roster was decimated at this point. We won at the skin of our teeth against bad teams and was obliterated by average and above programs. 9 wins a year is not what it use to be. All we had to do was win one single game against a team with a low pulse to achieve this. At the same time, almost half our scholarship players were former waltons. It was really bad. On top of it, pelini divided the already terribly managed AD, the players, assaulted fans and created a bias with the refs. Any screwjob we saw during his era was well deserved.

Still 2015: osborne was forced out and we hired a soft AD who's expertise was in staving off lawsuits. He had a coach in mind, Mike the perma-smile Riley. Everyone in Huskerland was raging pissed, as you can imagine.

2017: Mike Riley saw what was left of Pelini's roster rapidly diminish from quitting and transfers. Riley managed to get a class half full of top players and the other half giving schollies to waltons. On top of it. Eichorst forced Riley to make training optional. In fact, he did that across the whole AD. Our sporting programs diminished rapidly across the board. This and the division that started with Frank, magnified by pelini further magnified with riley. Eichorst was pushed out and Bill Moos immediately started after Scott Frost.

2018 and 2019: Scott has yet to show his ability as a game day coach. His recruiting is very solid for a fledgling program. But 4 and 5 wins is a no go.

Today: Nebraska fans most everywhere have a soft spot for OU and a root for them. Outside of a few internet trolls of course.

After 20 years of internal sabotage, I'm ready to amp up my soft spot to an equal footing with my original love. If they go head to head, I'll root for whomever has a chance of winning anything of significance. I am a longtime season ticket holder and will be for a while. But the track is getting harder as I get older and am tired of watching the manifestation of internal politics in person. So, I sell most tickets for now.

Finally, I love college football. It is a blast. But I need something to cheer for that doesnt get in it's own way. OU is in such a position and I always have rooted for them anyway. I will alway root for NU as the OG, down trodden program that took itself out of the conversation and have a program that is full go to root for.

Last edited:
Backstory: Nebraska politics interfered into the AD department, destroying any possible winning culture.

1997: Tom pushed a coach with a terrible drinking and pill popping coach who would take a cheerleader (legal age mistress) with him on his trips. He didnt even hide it. A team evolved over time to the new leadership medium. It doesn't have to be overnight, such as in this case.

2003: Frank wasn't getting any better. He despised recruiting his entire tenure. Every year, we replaced top shelf players with doormat Mac caliber players. Frank thought he could coach, he could coach a little. But not really. So we did the wise thing of firing the AD, but lazily hired a bearucrat that didnt know how hiring D1 coaches works. He botched 8 coaching candidates whom some came out and said they do not want to coach under him. He eventually hired a recently fired, desperate Bill Callahan. Bill could recruit pretty well, but his nepotism of a coaching staff was a pure disaster. Including a well-known defensive coordinator whom fans everywhere wonder how he keeps landing a job.

2007: Kevin Cosgrove's defense regressed to the point where we were allowing 50-80 points a game. Screenshots of old ladies with walkers were photoshopped as a true satire that a broken, old lady would have stats of a heisman candidate against our defense. No arguments here, every team had a tom brady and a 3000 yard runner. Somehow, he still has a job.

2007 still: Pederson was out, and the old conservative hiring AD was back. Tom Osborne refused to go above 2 million. So he had one candidate on his mind. Not two, just one. No scanning the field, his mind and Bo Pelini's mind were made up. Even though Bo proved to be an average coach and below average recruiter, I can only imagine how much worse it could have been.

2015: The roster was decimated at this point. We won at the skin of our teeth against bad teams and was obliterated by average and above programs. 9 wins a year is not what it use to be. All we had to do was win one single game against a team with a low pulse to achieve this. At the same time, almost half our scholarship players were former waltons. It was really bad. On top of it, pelini divided the already terribly managed AD, the players, assaulted fans and created a bias with the refs. Any screwjob we saw during his era was well deserved.

Still 2015: osborne was forced out and we hired a soft AD who's expertise was in staving off lawsuits. He had a coach in mind, Mike the perma-smile Riley. Everyone in Huskerland was raging pissed, as you can imagine.

2017: Mike Riley saw what was left of Pelini's roster rapidly diminish from quitting and transfers. Riley managed to get a class half full of top players and the other half giving schollies to waltons. On top of it. Eichorst forced Riley to make training optional. In fact, he did that across the whole AD. Our sporting programs diminished rapidly across the board. This and the division that started with Frank, magnified by pelini further magnified with riley. Eichorst was pushed out and Bill Moos immediately started after Scott Frost.

2018 and 2019: Scott has yet to show his ability as a game day coach. His recruiting is very solid for a fledgling program. But 4 and 5 wins is a no go.

Today: Nebraska fans most everywhere have a soft spot for OU and a root for them. Outside of a few internet trolls of course.

After 20 years of internal sabotage, I'm ready to amp up my soft spot to an equal footing with my original love. If they go head to head, I'll root for whomever has a chance of winning anything of significance. I am a longtime season ticket holder and will be for a while. But the track is getting harder as I get older and am tired of watching the manifestation of internal politics in person. So, I sell most tickets for now.

Finally, I love college football. It is a blast. But I need something to cheer for that doesnt get in it's own way. OU is in such a position and I always have rooted for them anyway. I will alway root for NU as the OG, down trodden program that took itself out of the conversation and have a program that is full go to root for.

Nice post. Welcome. I'm new around here as well.

Reactions: bobcrane14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT