ADVERTISEMENT

Leverage = being "out-blocked" and "out-tackled"

radoug

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2004
Roswell, Ga
My last 2 cents on the OLine, Stoops brothers, and Coach B. for the year. I think everyone can agree that the OLine is not even close to OU standard. Our DLine/LBs are softer than OU standards, meaning we really have no difference makers in any of these slots. Being out leveraged in our last game simply means that Texas exploited our weaknesses, blow up our offensive line, maul our DL/LB because they are soft. They did exactly that. And we did not adjust, I guess our coaching staff did not know what to do. The way I see it, and no secret to almost every poster, we have a talent problem in the trenches, a game strategy problem and a problem with adjusting. The head coach owns this as well as the co-ordinators. Riley did not exploit our strengths against their weaknesses and Mike did not adjust by playing his best run stoppers in the right schemes. They were not going to stretch the field in passing schemes as long as we lined up the way we were. Lastly, argue all you want about coach B be at fault or getting a pass. But when I coached, at year 3 in a position, you own it. You assess year one, start your development plan on existing personnel, develop recruiting plans and begin intense immediate execution. By year 3 you should be well under way. What coach B has recruited is still on the bench, or in the dog house (Frison). What he has in the current year pipeline offers little hope for improvement. Same in business world. When I was a 3rd year manager and my office did not perform, it was not on the previous manager. Year 3 you should be light years better than when you took it. Also, the OL whiffed on more blocks this game than our first game, so technique is not getting better. Look at the replay. In many cases, Texas rushed 4 players, and we were only able to block 2 with 5 guys. And it happened over and over again. Expect the same for the rest of the year. Our only hope this year is that Riley can get the ball to our play makers in some space within 1 to 2 seconds. And we need Bond and Walker to stay healthy and we can somehow put the right personnel in the right schemes against the opposition and that goes to Mike which, well enough said. But we could win most of the remaining games if we learn how to "leverage" the strengths we do have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.