ADVERTISEMENT

Leigh

soonersoldier

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
Swing and a miss. I get it, but that was a pretty big flame out to end the recruiting year.

Losing two five stars in a week and a half is certainly disappointing. Nothing like going out with a whimper.

Losing two five stars in a week and a half is certainly disappointing. Nothing like going out with a whimper.
Meanwhile kids across the country are committing to schools...none for OU from I have seen. I do not believe in just giving a kid a scholly because you have some extras...but I was hopeful for a couple more (i.e. tackle, rb, and anyone on defense). There is still time just a little disappointing with last several misses.

Reactions: iasooner1
OU has a solid class for 2021, ranked by some, aside from Rivals, in the top 7....which says a lot considering there are only 16 so far.
Remember too, that there will likely be additions to the team with late signees and transfers.

Reactions: soonersoldier
We got Byrd, who was here for the Williams-led Sooner Summit. But it’s very disappointing that he was the only one.

Top 5 class is out of the question. Guess Caleb Williams isn't as popular as he thinks. None of the guys he talked about bringing in chose OU.
Again, this 2021 class does not deserve to be regarded as somehow average/deficient.
OU is still in a transition period with Grinch restoring the program's defensive culture and OU still looking up at Alabama. All things considered OU is doing as well as it can under the circumstances.
Leigh was a long distance recruit in Virginia. So it's closer to home for him. The further away from Norman OU goes to get talent, the more difficult it is to recruit.
And here's a news flash: OU can't get every player it wants.
OU did bring in two highly recruited OL in Byrd and Montgomery, both of whom were recruited by all the heavyweights.
More players are coming and my only big concern is Stevenson's decision, which I hear is a 50-50 proposition right now.

We got Byrd, who was here for the Williams-led Sooner Summit. But it’s very disappointing that he was the only one.
Agree 54. really had high hopes for this class. very good but not great considering where we coulda been. Bummer honestly

Agree 54. really had high hopes for this class. very good but not great considering where we coulda been. Bummer honestly
Montgomery out of Houston is considered a solid prospect. Yes he's rated by Rivals as a 3-star.....but so was Creed Humphrey who's forgoing his senior year to go into the NFL draft as a projected first rounder.

Again, this 2021 class does not deserve to be regarded as somehow average/deficient.
OU is still in a transition period with Grinch restoring the program's defensive culture and OU still looking up at Alabama. All things considered OU is doing as well as it can under the circumstances.
Leigh was a long distance recruit in Virginia. So it's closer to home for him. The further away from Norman OU goes to get talent, the more difficult it is to recruit.
OU did bring in two highly recruited OL in Byrd and Montgomery, both of whom were recruited by all the heavyweights.
More players are coming and my only big concern is Stevenson's decision, which I hear is a 50-50 proposition right now.
OU hasn't come close to getting every player they wanted; that is not the point. They were perceived to have leans on multiple high end prospects, and got nada. I am not knocking the class, it is fluid at best. OU is doing better. I am simply stating it is disappointing not being able to close on one of them. I have faith in the staff, but I am hopeful they reflect on what they could have done different as it relates to these final prospective pieces.

OU hasn't come close to getting every player they wanted; that is not the point. They were perceived to have leans on multiple high end prospects, and got nada. I am not knocking the class, it is fluid at best. OU is doing better. I am simply stating it is disappointing not being able to close on one of them. I have faith in the staff, but I am hopeful they reflect on what they could have done different as it relates to these final prospective pieces.
OU, like every team, cannot get every player it wants. I'll bet even Saban would say that.
All I'm saying is that all things considered, OU has had.....so far.....a solid class.

True but we went all in on a few, with little to no backup plan.

Reactions: 54T
hey you never know about a class until they have been there a year or two. There are always some 3 star kids that turn out to be great and 5 stars that flame out. We'll be just fine

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
It is a solid class, all players look to have high ceilings. What frustaring is of the 16 recruits only 5 are on offense. All of the 5 star kids we missed on were on offense, Wheaton, Egbuka, Foster, and Leigh. If Riley is an offensive genius and we are putting guys into the NFL, why did these all of them go elsewhere?

Let’s see what late signees and transfers are added in the next few weeks. OU has done well getting transfers over the past 5-7 years.

OU, like every team, cannot get every player it wants. I'll bet even Saban would say that.
All I'm saying is that all things considered, OU has had.....so far.....a solid class.

Everyone expected an A class but we ended w/ a B+ Class. Not bad, in fact pretty salty. But Saban has swooped in at the last moment two years running and now Dabo has. All three of these recruits were lightly recruited by the team they signed with. There is talk of dirty play going on & I'm thinking it's true. One recruit?...ok we struck out. Two recuits? What the hell?, But three recruits? Doesn't pass the smell taste. Then you add to it Sermon jumping ship to tOSU... it really makes you wonder what's happening.

It is a solid class, all players look to have high ceilings. What frustaring is of the 16 recruits only 5 are on offense. All of the 5 star kids we missed on were on offense, Wheaton, Egbuka, Foster, and Leigh. If Riley is an offensive genius and we are putting guys into the NFL, why did these all of them go elsewhere?

$$$$

Last year Bedenbough, got his guys. Are last Top 10 RB, I think was Pledger. Boulevard wasn't much of recruiter but DeMarco needs to bring in somebody.

Everyone expected an A class but we ended w/ a B+ Class. Not bad, in fact pretty salty. But Saban has swooped in at the last moment two years running and now Dabo has. All three of these recruits were lightly recruited by the team they signed with. There is talk of dirty play going on & I'm thinking it's true. One recruit?...ok we struck out. Two recuits? What the hell?, But three recruits? Doesn't pass the smell taste. Then you add to it Sermon jumping ship to tOSU... it really makes you wonder what's happening.
Clemson's been recruiting Leigh the whole time, regardless of what the "experts" told you. As a matter of fact Clemson probably lead coming out of his visit to our elite junior day weekend last January. Then Covid happened and Clemson didn't do any of the recruiting summits so we were out of sight out of mind but never stopped recruiting him. Clemson many times does it's best work quietly, behind the scenes, and that's exactly what happened here.

Montgomery out of Houston is considered a solid prospect. Yes he's rated by Rivals as a 3-star.....but so was Creed Humphrey who's forgoing his senior year to go into the NFL draft as a projected first rounder.
Is Creed a first rounder?
Clemson's been recruiting Leigh the whole time, regardless of what the "experts" told you. As a matter of fact Clemson probably lead coming out of his visit to our elite junior day weekend last January. Then Covid happened and Clemson didn't do any of the recruiting summits so we were out of sight out of mind but never stopped recruiting him. Clemson many times does it's best work quietly, behind the scenes, and that's exactly what happened here.
Piss off.

Every mock draft I have seen has Humphrey going in the first round. I'm not sure he deserves it, but then, I don't really care.
I think Creed is alot like the center from Wisconsin from last year. Prior to the season a first rounder, after the season not so much. But who knows.

Reactions: kcstorm06

Not worthy of arguing. But the facts are he LIED to OU Coaches, and to OU commits up to his announcement. $$$ & bagmen came calling.

You gotta win a playoff game IMO to get over that hump. The perception is OU is good but they aren't gonna win it all even if they have the #1 QB in the draft.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
ADVERTISEMENT