ADVERTISEMENT

Kyler Murray returning next year?

kcstorm06

Sooner starter
Aug 31, 2006
Overland Park KS
I’ve heard this mentioned by several media sources. While I think money will be deciding factor, it would be incredible to have him one more year.

Right now, no one deserves the Heisman more than Murray. The Bama QB is great but Murray’s stats kick his ass. OU is only as good a Murray performs. Saban would still have a good shot at winning without the Hawaiian kid. Lincoln has absolutely no shot without Murray. That should be considered when the voters choose the Heisman.

Kyler is a complete QB...he is elusive and can bomb with the best of the all time greats. Tua is banged up and probably is risking even further knee damage by playing. Good kid and certainly wish him well. Kyler does deserve the Heisman ...especially if he lays waste to Mountaineers and then the Clones. He has surpassed Tua on QBR and seems poised to have some more big games ahead...even with the Sooners running game becoming very dominant.

ESPiN doesn’t care about your fancy stats, facts, or logic. They’ve hitched their wagons to the SEC (essentially just ‘Bama at this point). Tua had the Heisman locked up by week 4...

ESPiN doesn’t care about your fancy stats, facts, or logic. They’ve hitched their wagons to the SEC (essentially just ‘Bama at this point). Tua had the Heisman locked up by week 4...

They were same with Mayfield last year. Giving everybody but Baker the chance to walk in and grab the Heisman. Guess it will be Kyler’s mission to close things out in grand and importantly in a strong leadership way. Kyler has kept very consistent. Tua may have peaked already.

Alabama is the best team in college football. Tua is the best offensive player on the Bama team. Best player for the best teams win the Heisman most times. However, Tua is hurt and he hasn’t been as effective lately. Alabama is winning with defense again. If OU can win out and somehow make the playoffs, I like Murray’s Heisman chances if he continues putting up these crazy numbers. Murray is more important for Oklahoma than Tua is for Alabama. That should be taken into consideration.

Murray's numbers dwarf Tua's.....and the best player on the best team doesn't always win the Heisman, as Steve Owens did in 1969 on a 6-4 Sooner team.

Steve was the last to play for a four loss team. In fact he was the only one to do it. Today he wouldn’t win it because of that. That’s really too bad. And then there was the Golden Boy Domer.

This post was about KM returning, not winning the Heisman, lol.

All of the media seems to want to create an absolute with regards to him not returning next year. I’m not so sure—one thing is for certain, he has the genuine desire to be thought of and recognized as a big-time, legit QB AND he wants a Heisman. He’s an elite enough talent (and he knows it) that I think he will do whatever he damn well pleases. If he truly wants to play another year of QB for the Sooners, then he will. The A’s farm team will just have to wait. If he wants to hang it up and play farm league ball, he will. I’m sure if he decides to come back it will impact his future signing bonus, but something tells me he is not going to make his decision based on money. He’s going to base it on what he wants and everyone else will just have to deal with it IMO. Once the opportunity to play QB at a big-time division one school is gone, it’s gone forever. Not the case with MLB unless an injury prevents it. He’s stated several times that as a kid he always dreamed of being a big-time QB and winning a Heisman. Let’s see what happens...

All of the media seems to want to create an absolute with regards to him not returning next year. I’m not so sure—one thing is for certain, he has the genuine desire to be thought of and recognized as a big-time, legit QB AND he wants a Heisman. He’s an elite enough talent (and he knows it) that I think he will do whatever he damn well pleases. If he truly wants to play another year of QB for the Sooners, then he will. The A’s farm team will just have to wait. If he wants to hang it up and play farm league ball, he will. I’m sure if he decides to come back it will impact his future signing bonus, but something tells me he is not going to make his decision based on money. He’s going to base it on what he wants and everyone else will just have to deal with it IMO. Once the opportunity to play QB at a big-time division one school is gone, it’s gone forever. Not the case with MLB unless an injury prevents it. He’s stated several times that as a kid he always dreamed of being a
big-time QB and winning a Heisman. Let’s see what happens...

I hope you are right.

Reactions: iasooner1
Something to think about. Kyler is quickly being considered the best player in football, I guarantee he was not even mentioned in the top 10 in baseball. This equates to A LOT more money to be made in the NFL than MLB.

I want Murray back in 2019 as much as anyone, but if I were him, I would go with baseball.

Why? He might become a star in the NFL, making millions and possibly the HOF but in baseball, he might never get out of the minors.

As for an NFL career, he'll probably become the next Michael Vick, but with the ability to pass or a MUCH faster Baker Mayfield.

OU has had an unbelievable 3-4 year run of excellent QB play. Probably the best run in school history with the Baker/Murray combo.

I can't see Murray staying. It's interesting and no doubt tugging at him but in the end, I say he goes and plays baseball and has a long career, as long as his speed holds up so he can track down balls from center field.

OU has had an unbelievable 3-4 year run of excellent QB play. Probably the best run in school history with the Baker/Murray combo.

I can't see Murray staying. It's interesting and no doubt tugging at him but in the end, I say he goes and plays baseball and has a long career, as long as his speed holds up so he can track down balls from center field.

That's the problem. "If his speed holds up". On knee injury and his baseball career could be over. However, in football, his arm is top notch so even if he started losing speed to injury or age, he would still be a great passer.

Look at his baseball stats, they are mediocre at best for college, there is no guarantee he will ever get out of the minors. Baseball is MUCH harder to succeed because of that, but if he went to the NFL, he would get a guaranteed HUGE contract and most likely succeed just based on how well Baker is doing in Cleveland as a rookie.

His options are:

1. Enter baseball and hope he can survive the minors and be good enough to last in the Majors (hard to hit that ball!)

2. Sign a HUGE contract in the NFL, hope you can survive the hits and create a legacy.

Seems like an easy choice to me.

I played football and baseball (CF, WR, and DB) and I can tell you, football is MUCH easier! If you play football, everything relies on your skill set, your speed and ability to throw or catch does not slump, but the ability to succeed in baseball is determined by your ability to hit off different pitchers and pitches. You might be able to crush fastballs but struggle against curveballs or sliders or you might be able to hit lefties but struggle to hit off righties. So many variables to succeed in baseball and I seriously doubt he will ever make as much money in MLB as he would in the NFL.

Also, if he wants to play baseball, he could always try after his NFL career begins and be a two-sport athlete.

Last edited:
That's the problem. "If his speed holds up". On knee injury and his baseball career could be over. However, in football, his arm is top notch so even if he started losing speed to injury or age, he would still be a great passer.

Look at his baseball stats, they are mediocre at best for college, there is no guarantee he will ever get out of the minors. Baseball is MUCH harder to succeed because of that, but if he went to the NFL, he would get a guaranteed HUGE contract and most likely succeed just based on how well Baker is doing in Cleveland as a rookie.

His options are:

1. Enter baseball and hope he can survive the minors and be good enough to last in the Majors (hard to hit that ball!)

2. Sign a HUGE contract in the NFL, hope you can survive the hits and create a legacy.

Seems like an easy choice to me.

I played football and baseball (CF, WR, and DB) and I can tell you, football is MUCH easier! If you play football, everything relies on your skill set, your speed and ability to throw or catch does not slump, but the ability to succeed in baseball is determined by your ability to hit off different pitchers and pitches. You might be able to crush fastballs but struggle against curveballs or sliders or you might be able to hit lefties but struggle to hit off righties. So many variables to succeed in baseball and I seriously doubt he will ever make as much money in MLB as he would in the NFL.

Also, if he wants to play baseball, he could always try after his NFL career begins and be a two-sport athlete.

If it were me I would go the football route. Baseball is such a grind and really hard on the family with all the travel and long season. But Murray is awfully short.

If it were me I would go the football route. Baseball is such a grind and really hard on the family with all the travel and long season. But Murray is awfully short.

His height doesn't seem to be hurting him at OU and many think OU's OL is the best in the country, meaning their size equates to the NFL.

Agree with CT. KM already has over 4mil in the bank in a baseball contract. Would be incredibly stupid to just leave that on the table for the "hopes" of the NFL.

Strictly from the money end, Murray will have a very good idea what he’s worth in the NFL by April. Another year like this one could be worth way more than what he sign for with Oakland. But then there’s always the chance of injury. There are insurance policies available to cover that risk. I think it will come down to his preference. Maybe he wants to play both.

He has 4.7million in the bank. I'm sure with all of the buzz surrounding him, he has another 4.7 in endorsement deals. If he somehow wins the Heisman, you can double that figure on endorsements.
He would be crazy to comeback his last year. Even if he throws well at the combine, he is a 3rd to 7th round NFL pick. His strengths do not translate to the NFL. His arm is decent, his accuracy is decent, his pocket presence is average. His mechanics are strong but he throws off of his back foot, a little to often. His size, is way under, what anyone would take a chance 1st and most likely 2nd day.

Strictly from the money end, Murray will have a very good idea what he’s worth in the NFL by April. Another year like this one could be worth way more than what he sign for with Oakland. But then there’s always the chance of injury. There are insurance policies available to cover that risk. I think it will come down to his preference. Maybe he wants play both.
Odds are, KM stands to have a much less injury prone career in baseball. Ya it may be the more difficult path. KM is a pretty small guy for the NFL. I'm sure his draft stock will take a hit simply because of that.

If KM came back next season and played as well, if not better than he has this season, why wouldn't he be a first-round draft pick, maybe even the 1st overall pick? If Baker can be picked at #1, KM can as well.

If KM came back next season and played as well, if not better than he has this season, why wouldn't he be a first-round draft pick, maybe even the 1st overall pick? If Baker can be picked at #1, KM can as well.
Likely losing ALOT on the OLine for next year. You think KM should roll the dice and take the punishment while a brand new line takes shape next year? One hit could end his season and derail an NFL career. And Kyler is 5-9 or 5-10 and 195lbs. You think and NFL team will drop a 1st overall pick on a QB that small??

Reactions: Oklabama
Likely losing ALOT on the OLine for next year. You think KM should roll the dice and take the punishment while a brand new line takes shape next year? One hit could end his season and derail an NFL career. And Kyler is 5-9 or 5-10 and 195lbs. You think and NFL team will drop a 1st overall pick on a QB that small??

Right on regarding his height. People comparing him to Michael Vick forget that Vick was 6’0”. 2 or 3 fewer inches is a major disadvantage for a QB in the NFL.

It is probably going to get worst for him. I took my annual physical today and measured 5’11 7/8” tall. First time in my life I’ve been under 6’. Getting old sucks!

Last edited:
He has 4.7million in the bank. I'm sure with all of the buzz surrounding him, he has another 4.7 in endorsement deals. If he somehow wins the Heisman, you can double that figure on endorsements.
He would be crazy to comeback his last year. Even if he throws well at the combine, he is a 3rd to 7th round NFL pick. His strengths do not translate to the NFL. His arm is decent, his accuracy is decent, his pocket presence is average. His mechanics are strong but he throws off of his back foot, a little to often. His size, is way under, what anyone would take a chance 1st and most likely 2nd day.
sounds like you were describing another OU qb, Mayfield, he seems to be doing ok.

sounds like you were describing another OU qb, Mayfield, he seems to be doing ok.

Mayfield is 3-4 inchs taller. Mayfiled is deadly accurate and his pocket presence is as good as it gets. Murray is decent but more on the average side. He could play in Canada but no shot at the NFL. I don't believe many would want him for a decent #2. Nothing against him, it's just not in the cards for him physically.

Mayfield is 3-4 inchs taller. Mayfiled is deadly accurate and his pocket presence is as good as it gets. Murray is decent but more on the average side. He could play in Canada but no shot at the NFL. I don't believe many would want him for a decent #2. Nothing against him, it's just not in the cards for him physically.
Have you watched Murray throw the ball at all this year? Seen his pocket presence? He's not putting up better numbers than Baker in QBR and passing efficiency because he's average.

KM returning next year? No. He's not giving the $4.7M back to the A's to return to OU for another season and a shot at the NFL.

It's fun to speculate, but I just don't see him coming back after this season, regardless of how it plays out.

Are you good friends with Cowturd? You talk very matter of factly for what is just your opinion. Arm strength above average to good and accuracy above average to good Pocket presence above average to good. Just my opinion Aaron Rodgers also throws a lot off his back foot. Every part of his game translates to the NFL except his size. We are not talking about Eddie Lebaron here(sp?) here. We are talking about an athlete so incredibly gifted that he just may be more than capable than over coming that size disadvantage. Just my opinion

Reactions: Medic007
Kyler is a complete QB...he is elusive and can bomb with the best of the all time greats. Tua is banged up and probably is risking even further knee damage by playing. Good kid and certainly wish him well. Kyler does deserve the Heisman ...especially if he lays waste to Mountaineers and then the Clones. He has surpassed Tua on QBR and seems poised to have some more big games ahead...even with the Sooners running game becoming very dominant.
I honestly thought it didn’t get much better than Mayfield, with all due respect to Mayfield, great QB but to me Murray is better as a whole.

Reactions: Medic007
I honestly thought it didn’t get much better than Mayfield, with all due respect to Mayfield, great QB but to me Murray is better as a whole.
Russell Wilson says hello 8085. He is 5’11”. Is Murray 5’10” or 5’9”?. To completely dismiss the possibility of a pro career because of his size is just plain stupid. That is my opinion.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Russell Wilson says hello 8085. He is 5’11”. Is Murray 5’10” or 5’9”?. To completely dismiss the possibility of a pro career because of his size is just plain stupid. That is my opinion.
To me I think Mayfield erased all doubts about a qb being “too short” to play in the NFL. Heck, how many times did we hear from opposing fan bases that Mayfield is a good college qb but doesn’t project at the next level because of his height “his balls will get knocked down at the line of scrimmage” or “ he won’t be able to see over the Oline in the pros” as if pro players are somehow taller that his Oline in college. If I was a pro team I’d find a way to take Murray, I don’t care if I had to move the pocket to help him out but he’s pretty special imo.

To me I think Mayfield erased all doubts about a qb being “too short” to play in the NFL. Heck, how many times did we hear from opposing fan bases that Mayfield is a good college qb but doesn’t project at the next level because of his height “his balls will get knocked down at the line of scrimmage” or “ he won’t be able to see over the Oline in the pros” as if pro players are somehow taller that his Oline in college. If I was a pro team I’d find a way to take Murray, I don’t care if I had to move the pocket to help him out but he’s pretty special imo.
Agree totally. You can bet your ass that Murray can play in the NFL. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in my opinion is too stupid to realize he is stupid.

Reactions: runningback43
ADVERTISEMENT