ADVERTISEMENT

Kruger Retires!!!

OU got Kruger when they were in deep trouble. OU is in very good shape right now so they should attract a lot of good coaches, either young or older who have done great things with smaller schools.

Reactions: Oklabama
Kruger was #23 of current HCs according to Ranker. Who is OU going to get as good? I’m asking.
How about Paul Mills at ORU for starters. He was an assistant at Baylor for many years. Baylor has not been doing too bad. IMO a far better coach on fundamentals than Kruger. ORU looked much better than OU in this tournament. I know Kruger gets a lot of praise from the basketball "experts" but his teams can play like junior high teams and are inconsistent. OU had 9 turnovers in the first half of Gonzaga and Kruger had no answer for it.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Paul Mills in 4 years at ORU has yet to win more than 18 games in a season and has winning percentage of .467. I don’t see it. I think Mark Turgeon (.662) would be a better choice and there’s talk that he may be interested in leaving Maryland. Grant McCasland (North Texas) would be someone to consider also. He’s a proven winner.

Also, what is the answer when your players are fumbling the football or turning over the basketball?

Last edited:
Reactions: CTOkie
Paul Mills in 4 years at ORU has yet to win more than 18 games in a season and has winning percentage of .467. I don’t see it. I think Mark Turgeon (.662) would be a better choice and there’s talk that he may be interested in leaving Maryland. Grant McCasland (North Texas) would be someone to consider also. He’s a proven winner.

Also, what is the answer when your players are fumbling the football or turning over the basketball?
My answer would be strength and conditioning for hands and fore arms. "Hug the dummy" drills to teach wrap around on the ball. For basketball I would drill them on passing and dribbling skills. I would bench them if it does not improve their ability to avoid dribbling into a crowd and losing the ball. I would drill them on seeing and knowing where a teammate is before they throw the ball out of bounds where no one was standing to receive the ball. Do you think fumbling and turnovers happen because there are no training drills to avoid or improve skills?

BTW: Do you think Mills should have won more games with the players he's able to recruit to ORU? Hint: ORU requires all students to sign a contract at admission stating they will not drink alcohol, smoke or have sex for the duration of their student life. This alone will knock the shine off a recruiting pitch.

My answer would be strength and conditioning for hands and fore arms. "Hug the dummy" drills to teach wrap around on the ball. For basketball I would drill them on passing and dribbling skills. I would bench them if it does not improve their ability to avoid dribbling into a crowd and losing the ball. I would drill them on seeing and knowing where a teammate is before they throw the ball out of bounds where no one was standing to receive the ball. Do you think fumbling and turnovers happen because there are no training drills to avoid or improve skills?

BTW: Do you think Mills should have won more games with the players he's able to recruit to ORU? Hint: ORU requires all students to sign a contract at admission stating they will not drink alcohol, smoke or have sex for the duration of their student life. This alone will knock the shine off a recruiting pitch.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that Lon had no answer for the turnovers during the game. Taking out the players with a short bench probably wouldn’t have won the game but it would have sent a message to those returning next season, I bet.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if Castiglione knew before or early in the season that Kruger wanted this to be his retirement year.....and that OU's next coach has already agreed to come to Norman, pending the end of the NCAA playoffs.
The same could be true of Sherri Coale.

Texas would probably be a more attractive bball job than OU. If Smart leaves Texas would probably get the better candidate.

Chris Beard to Texas, cant believe he is leaving Tech. Tech has great players and now OU has to battle them for a top tier coach.

Great hire. He can coach and flat recruit. Could be interesting, in the future but not the near future. The bench is bare.

Reactions: JConXtsy
But what if some of the guys use the ‘free year’ and stick around ? Granted I don’t know if they will but Loyola has a big guy that may follow his coach, etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT