ADVERTISEMENT

Kennedy Brooks opts out

This season, if it actually goes as scheduled, is going to have so many “what ifs”. How do you rate teams missing key players at times during the season? A big * will probably be tagged to the national champion, if there is one. I see this season as an exhibition. Too many top programs not participating.

This season, if it actually goes as scheduled, is going to have so many “what ifs”. How do you rate teams missing key players at times during the season? A big * will probably be tagged to the national champion, if there is one. I see this season as an exhibition. Too many top programs not participating.

If the B10 isn't playing, you can bet that they'll add an *

I would sure be nice if McGowan was a stud.
McGowan was a consensus 4-star recruit and was rated and was a top 25 player in Texas. He gained over 3,000 yards with 37 touchdowns in high school. He's got idea size at 5'11" 211 lbs and should be a quality contributor. Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Texas were after him.

Reactions: MikeNAustin
I agree with you Bomber. We’ll be lucky to get a couple of games if any. Why risk getting hurt for so little. I’m so sick of this virus and the histeria that goes with it.

Teaching. Execution. Learning the playbook. Repetition. Bonding w/ team mates & Coaches. To name a few things. It's like the prep work for a team that makes a bowl game vs a team that doesn't. Playing & practicing just make you better.

I saw McGowan last fall. Big physical kid. And a really good receiver. Should play immediately. Only thing he lacks is speed. But Perine and Sermon showed us you don’t need to be 4.5 to be great in this offense.

McGowan was a consensus 4-star recruit and was rated and was a top 25 player in Texas. He gained over 3,000 yards with 37 touchdowns in high school. He's got idea size at 5'11" 211 lbs and should be a quality contributor. Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Texas were after him.
I know all about the hs pedigree. The point of the post, is that we need him to be a stud in 2020. That is a little less likely.

I heard at least as good about Pledger before he arrived, and I'm not a believer that he'll ever be a college stud. Since McGowan came from a school in the Dallas area that is not known as a traditional power, I'm more confident in his college future if he stays healthy. He's already bigger than Pledger, who came from one of those hs football factories that recruits nationally. It makes you look better than you are, when you have college prospects at ever position.

Pledger has never shown to be a guy who is capable of being a starter at OU, who can carry any kind of heavy load at running back, especially with the duties in the passing game. McGowan might. But he has a ton to learn. I don't think we've ever started a season with fewer quality running backs.

I know all about the hs pedigree. The point of the post, is that we need him to be a stud in 2020. That is a little less likely.

I heard at least as good about Pledger before he arrived, and I'm not a believer that he'll ever be a college stud. Since McGowan came from a school in the Dallas area that is not known as a traditional power, I'm more confident in his college future if he stays healthy. He's already bigger than Pledger, who came from one of those hs football factories that recruits nationally. It makes you look better than you are, when you have college prospects at ever position.

Pledger has never shown to be a guy who is capable of being a starter at OU, who can carry any kind of heavy load at running back, especially with the duties in the passing game. McGowan might. But he has a ton to learn. I don't think we've ever started a season with fewer quality running backs.
Pledger may end up not doing much, but he was billed a HS stud long before he went to IMG. He was a 5-star in California before transferring his senior year (and dropping to a 4).

I think Pledger realizes this is his big opportunity (assuming the full run of games) He showed flashes of being a good/higher end back. Now he needs to show his capabilities and work extra hard to stay the #1 or #2 RB.

Reactions: iasooner1
Pledger's playing time hasn't been helped by having Sermon and Brooks ahead of him his first two years and while being a good player, he simply was not on the same level as the other two. Then in 2019, after missing the first 4 games with an injury, Stevenson's addition buried Pledger even more on the roster. He finished the year with only ten carries for 65 yards.
Pledger won't be a workhorse back like Peterson, Murray or even Brooks, but I do expect him to contribute well. 2020 presents a huge opportunity for him with both Sermon and Kennedy gone.
I expect to see McGowan make a good instant impact and to have a good OU career.
Kenny King came from a small school (Clarendon) in Texas too back in 1975 and I recall reading an article or two at that time questioning the level of competition King played against at Clarendon.

Mesquite Poteet is a 5A school in Texas. He has played against top flight competition. Yes, we have had several outstanding players from small towns. Sims/Hooks, Overstreet/Big Sandy, and King/Clarendon were in the same backfield.

Reactions: iasooner1
I saw McGowan last fall. Big physical kid. And a really good receiver. Should play immediately. Only thing he lacks is speed. But Perine and Sermon showed us you don’t need to be 4.5 to be great in this offense.

Lets hope he isn't another version of Brennan Clay. Highly recruited but not a difference maker. Just a solid contributor

Clay/Pledger, thru their first 2 years neither guy showed

Clay started making some plays in year 3, when he and DD Williams became the RB duo

Reactions: CTOkie
There are past situations that lead me to believe we will be fine. Didnt demetri flowers light up ISU? Who had ever heard of Dominic Whaley or Damian Williams?

Reactions: newnasty
Does this season really even matter that much? Two of the major conferences aren't even playing and who knows whats going to happen with the rest. Going to be a real downer this year

Does this season really even matter that much? Two of the major conferences aren't even playing and who knows whats going to happen with the rest. Going to be a real downer this year

Pfft. Tee it up. Many things in our world have cancelled themselves and others just keep going. The difference is amazing. Play ball. It's good for the players, the fans etc. Play as long as you can. The teams that are paying this year are going to be far better than those that are sitting idle. Experience is everything for a team.

ADVERTISEMENT