ADVERTISEMENT

Kendal Daniels

All of the recent projections have Daniels going to A&M. OU is recruiting him as somebody not at safety. A&M is recruiting him as a safety. He wants to play safety.

His recent contact with OU has been very limited. OU's focus on speed, converting safeties to backers, linebackers to edge rushers and edge rushers to tackles has worked well elsewhere. Jimmy Johnson did it at UMiami and in Dallas in the NFL.

But it also costs you recruits sometimes. That is most likely the case, here.

Plaino, if he wants to play safety and is listed as a safety on all recruiting lists, why not recruit him to play safety....the position he's played in high school and the position he's received rave reviews for ?
Unless Daniels just likes ATM better, OU should be able to land him...to be a safety.

Plaino, if he wants to play safety and is listed as a safety on all recruiting lists, why not recruit him to play safety....the position he's played in high school and the position he's received rave reviews for ?
Unless Daniels just likes ATM better, OU should be able to land him...to be a safety.

Seems like a logical approach to me. Recruit the kid for what he's most comfortable doing. We can't afford to lose in-state players of his caliber.

If Grinch tells him he can play safety, he may still go to ATM.
Daniels may simply like what ATM has better....but there are rumblings that Jimbo Fisher is on the hot seat.

Reactions: iasooner1
Oh, I agree. It's part of why I'm not totally sold on Grinch. The idea of recruiting big guys on defense, under the philosophy of we have 11 players chase the ball at full speed on every play, is going to limit your ability to recruit big guys. It's kind of like a decade ago, plus, on offense, when we were recruiting and training OL's for their speed rather than their size. Big guys like to be big guys. They'd rather pump weights than run wind sprints.

Bedenbaugh arrived and changed that to a more normal approach, and we got better in the OLine pretty quickly.

Same thing with big guys on defense.

And the same thing with telling high level safeties that they're recruiting them to play linebacker. If you're Miami, that philosophy can work, because there are so many high quality athletes within two hours of your campus. That doesn't happen to be the case in Norman. I can see this philosophy working for OU under Grinch. But I'm not sold on it, yet. They know what they want. But if Daniels goes elsewhere and becomes a stud safety, I'm going to be a little pissed off. It reminds me just a little of when Wes Welker was a hs senior, and we wouldn't offer him.

We still did okay at receiver. Maybe they feel like honesty is the best policy. But I'd at least have recruited Daniels to start out at safety, and then see how it worked. A little arrogance would seem to be involved if you're the only, or one of the few teams recruiting a stud as not a safety, and everybody else is recruiting him as the position he's played for a long time.

Great post, Plaino.
OU really needs to land players instate that are among the 3-5 top Oklahoma prospects....every year. While high school football in the state has declined over the past 20-25 years, there has always been a handful of players worthy of playing at the D-1 level.
I'm thinking that Daniels may just like College Station better and may just not like Coach Grinch for whatever reason. OU needs to throw a big time "hail Mary" to sway Daniels....unless that's already happened.
Another factor Daniels likes about ATM is playing in the SEC.

Last edited:
I agree, big time in-state defender. Will be very disappointing if we don't land him because of positional semantics.

And why would you NOT want a 6'4" safety with Daniels' credentials to play safety ?

I really don’t get it. Seems like in state talent needs to be welcomed with open arms by a wobbly defense. No excuse to lose him to A&M. They are middle of pack SEC for crying out loud (shakes head). Come on Grinch !!

Probably hears something like this, "son do you want to play on a defense that gets its rear handed to them in the CFP like OU has?"
"Do you want to get embarrassed on National TV?" Recruiting against an SEC School is never good especially when you look at the beatdown OU has gotten from 2 SEC Teams the past 2 seasons in the playoffs.
It plays a role and don't doubt it for a second.

Daniels could be offered the starting safety position right away and be told a statue of him next the stadium would be erected before OU's first game and he would not be swayed.....from what I'm reading so far.

Oh, I agree. It's part of why I'm not totally sold on Grinch. The idea of recruiting big guys on defense, under the philosophy of we have 11 players chase the ball at full speed on every play, is going to limit your ability to recruit big guys. It's kind of like a decade ago, plus, on offense, when we were recruiting and training OL's for their speed rather than their size. Big guys like to be big guys. They'd rather pump weights than run wind sprints.

Bedenbaugh arrived and changed that to a more normal approach, and we got better in the OLine pretty quickly.

Same thing with big guys on defense.

And the same thing with telling high level safeties that they're recruiting them to play linebacker. If you're Miami, that philosophy can work, because there are so many high quality athletes within two hours of your campus. That doesn't happen to be the case in Norman. I can see this philosophy working for OU under Grinch. But I'm not sold on it, yet. They know what they want. But if Daniels goes elsewhere and becomes a stud safety, I'm going to be a little pissed off. It reminds me just a little of when Wes Welker was a hs senior, and we wouldn't offer him.

We still did okay at receiver. Maybe they feel like honesty is the best policy. But I'd at least have recruited Daniels to start out at safety, and then see how it worked. A little arrogance would seem to be involved if you're the only, or one of the few teams recruiting a stud as not a safety, and everybody else is recruiting him as the position he's played for a long time.

Transfer portal. It's a thing these days. Why waste time on a recruit if you know up front he doesn't fit your defense? The kid wants to be a safety and he'll bail on us if you lie to him. OU wants him as a LB. I'll take Riley & Grinch's decisions over a HS recruit all day long. In the Big 12, with pass happy offenses, speed is a big need. Grinch's defense has proven to be successful at other locations so I'm wanting to see it work at OU as well.

Daniels not coming to OU, not to disappointed after watching Jordan Mukes highlight video. This kid is going to good in a couple of years.

Daniels not coming to OU, not to disappointed after watching Jordan Mukes highlight video. This kid is going to good in a couple of years.

As posted in the other thread. OU losing out on the top DB, again, hurts.

Proctor to OSU
Hill to Mich
Now Daniels to aTm.

OU desperately needs DB's and especially at safety. Daniels top end speed, isn't elite but almost.

Make no mistake. We need all of the help in the backfield and losing talent, to out of state, programs hurts.

Now if aTm, gets Burris as well. Grinch needs to do some soul searching. He will play on Sunday.

Proctor to OSU
Hill to Mich
Now Daniels to aTm.

OU desperately needs DB's and especially at safety. Daniels top end speed, isn't elite but almost.

Make no mistake. We need all of the help in the backfield and losing talent, to out of state, programs hurts.

Now if aTm, gets Burris as well. Grinch needs to do some soul searching. He will play on Sunday.
Burris’ coach is a big time Aggie

Always concerned me

On the plus side. We have a good shot at texASS prize commit, Billy Bowman. His GF has committed to Patty, for softball. Riley just figured that out and offered a week ago.

He's texASS 2nd or 3rd highest recruit. Plays both WR and DB. He could be a great get, on returns and DB.

Hopefully Grinch doesn't let him play WR. He's shorter then what Grinch wants, but he's fast, elite fast.

On the plus side. We have a good shot at texASS prize commit, Billy Bowman. His GF has committed to Patty, for softball. Riley just figured that out and offered a week ago.

He's texASS 2nd or 3rd highest recruit. Plays both WR and DB. He could be a great get, on returns and DB.

Hopefully Grinch doesn't let him play WR. He's shorter then what Grinch wants, but he's fast, elite fast.

A good shot? Hasn't he been committed for about a year?

A good shot? Hasn't he been committed for about a year?

Looking at his social media, he's excited to get the offer. If we get a visit and it looks like we have a good shot at him visiting. Riley will close the deal. His GF, is a Patty commit and she's a huge OU fan. If he visits, I think we swing him.

It will kill Herman. Losing 2 legacies kids, one a 5 star and if we steal one. Things will get ugly, in Austin.

And yet another year and the top defensive prospect in the state, leaves.

This is a HORRIBLE look for OU. But we've been so strong at DB, lol

I'm going to give an opinion on Daniels decision based on my experience as a graduate of T A&M. He is not going to like the culture there. Not the team but the school.

If Grinch didn’t see him as a DB, you just have to go with his eval

It’ll be interesting to see who was right

Tbh I don’t think Odom loved him either

Good luck to him, if OU's recruiting branches were not so deep throughout the country it might hurt.. I have faith in the staff. The fact that he presumably picked a$m over all other colleges speaks volumes to me.

Reactions: 12Seans23

Proctor to OSU
Hill to Mich
Now Daniels to aTm.

It might hurt today, but I doubt it will in a couple of years. From what i've been reading, OU didn't 'lose out' but rather moved on from Daniels leaving him to the Aggies. And speaking of Burris (Nationally ranked 107), add to him Gilliam (Nationally ranked 104), when you add these two to the fold just by default the back end will improve. These two recruits are very, very, heavy leans to OU and their potential play will help out the back end of any defense. Both are very near Top 100 recruits nationwide. I think OU gets them both. Grinch will be fine.

Reactions: 12Seans23
It might hurt today, but I doubt it will in a couple of years. From what i've been reading, OU didn't 'lose out' but rather moved on from Daniels leaving him to the Aggies. And speaking of Burris (Nationally ranked 107), add to him Gilliam (Nationally ranked 104), when you add these two to the fold just by default the back end will improve. These two recruits are very, very, heavy leans to OU and their potential play will help out the back end of any defense. Both are very near Top 100 recruits nationwide. I think OU gets them both. Grinch will be fine.

Burris is a undervalued stud. But the Aggys think we are losing him as well.

He will play on Sunday. They have him as a silent commit and just punking OU.

Here's what it comes down to: what Daniels did in leaving his home state and OU has happened before to OU and will happen again.
Historically, however, OU usually finds a replacement recruit at the same position and with the same resume somewhere else.

Reactions: newnasty
Beggs senior DB Kendal Daniels is heading to Texas A&M.
“Ten days ago, OU called and receded the offer,” Daniels told The Oklahoman. “That’s where I was going to go. ... I just decided to go to Texas A&M because it was between them two.”

“Ten days ago, OU called and receded the offer,” Daniels told The Oklahoman. “That’s where I was going to go. ... I just decided to go to Texas A&M because it was between them two.”

Who are they replacing him with? I don't know of another hybrid S/LB, in the works. If we get Bowman to jump ship, he's a DB, if he plays defense. The must have some silent commit but I can't think of who. I know Clemson was high on Daniels but they wanted him as a hybrid. That's an easy sale for Venables. He created, Superman, Williams.

Who are they replacing him with? I don't know of another hybrid S/LB, in the works. If we get Bowman to jump ship, he's a DB, if he plays defense. The must have some silent commit but I can't think of who. I know Clemson was high on Daniels but they wanted him as a hybrid. That's an easy sale for Venables. He created, Superman, Williams.
Per another board they took Harmon’s commitment on July 6 and it was apparent they wouldn’t have room for Daniels - who neither Grinch or Odom thought was an ideal fit in the defense.

I think it should be considered that there is some propoganda at play; an in state, highly recruited player picking A&M, but not wanting to upset the locals. Who knows...I would guess OU worked him but was honest and not as attracted as the Aggie staff. To me, if OU went all out, Daniels would have committed, but there was a gap.

Reactions: MikeNAustin
ADVERTISEMENT