ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping Up With BGB!

Really? Stoops retired from the grind of college football. The latest gig is to keep him busy and keep him involved in what he loves.

He's still very involved with OU. I honestly don't get the negativity about Stoops coaching in the "loser league." Stoops can do just about anything he damn well pleases.

I agree. He still gets to Coach and be around something he loves to do. Why would he want to return to the Pressure Cooker that is College Football or the No Fun League? He doesn't need the money and has nothing else to prove.
And while CF may have been a High Stress Job before he left it is much more so today add in the NIL and Transfer Portal and there is your answer.

Also cannot remember for sure if Bob said it or it was speculation at the time he retired but there was mention of health issue, heart or stress taking a toll. Cannot remembet for sure.
Anyway, most everyone I know that retired either died a few yrs later or had to find something else to do otherwise they went nuts having nothing to do everyday. And like you said he is still involved in OU so he is not completely out of CF, just the stress part of the job. Let him be! šŸ˜

That BGB nickname lost a lot of credibility later in his career at OU. Seems like he couldn't win a big game
And yet he was the only coach in college football history to win all four of the BCS Bowl Games (Orange, Rose, Fiesta and Sugar).

Reactions: iasooner2000
And yet he was the only coach in college football history to win all four of the BCS Bowl Games (Orange, Rose, Fiesta and Sugar).
True, but with the exception ofFlorida State in the 2001 Orange Bowl and Alabama in the 2014 Sugar Bowl (an Alabama team that played poorly and seemed unprepared for whatever reasons) OU could not beat teams of equal or better talent and some of these bowls were decisive losses. A record of 9-9 was not a bowl record to brag about considering it is on the resume of a HOF coach.
But I give Stoops much credit for rescuing OU twiceā€¦.returning OU to being a national power and coaching a Sooner team with a diminished roster to a bowl win in the wake of Rileyā€™s gutless and selfish betrayal.

That Alabama win was legit in that OU (primarily Trevor) overcame Henry who they could not stop. Any victory over a Saban team is an anomaly, excuses be damned (imho)

Reactions: Salt City Sooner
True, but with the exception of Florida State in the 2001 Orange Bowl and Alabama in the 2014 Sugar Bowl (an Alabama team that played poorly and seemed unprepared for whatever reasons) OU could not beat teams of equal or better talent and some of these bowls were decisive losses. A record of 9-9 was not a bowl record to brag about considering it is on the resume of a HOF coach.
But I give Stoops much credit for rescuing OU twiceā€¦.returning OU to being a national power and coaching a Sooner team with a diminished roster to a bowl win in the wake of Rileyā€™s gutless and selfish betrayal.
Bullshit. Texas may not perform great, but they are absolutely the same or equal talent, and Bob didn't just have a winning record against them, he beat them 63-21, 55-17, 65-13 and 63-14. He humiliated them four times in 18 seasons. He won at Ohio State. He won at Florida State. He won at UTenn. He beat quality OSU teams repeatedly when they were competing for a conference title. He only lost a CCG once. In the Big XII, he won more conference titles than any body, times three or four. And he beat Oregon in an emergency.

Your dissing of Bob is full of venom, and unbecoming. And based on lies.

Bullshit. Texas may not perform great, but they are absolutely the same or equal talent, and Bob didn't just have a winning record against them, he beat them 63-21, 55-17, 65-13 and 63-14. He humiliated them four times in 18 seasons. He won at Ohio State. He won at Florida State. He won at UTenn. He beat quality OSU teams repeatedly when they were competing for a conference title. He only lost a CCG once. In the Big XII, he won more conference titles than any body, times three or four. And he beat Oregon in an emergency.

Plaino, Bob Stoops lost to Ohio State in Norman and Riley beat Ohio State in Columbus. But let's not forget Bob's beating KSU and Missouri when they were a very good teams. Bob is a die hard Sooner and has answered the calls much bigger than his wins/losses. I will never voice anything but praise for the man. CT has openly admitted that he is a cynical old man. Consider the source.

We still love the dang yankee !
Boomer !
Does anyone know whatever became of owenfielddreams ? He had great knowledge of the Sooners and I hope he is still kicking, even though he differed from us many times

Plaino, Bob Stoops lost to Ohio State in Norman and Riley beat Ohio State in Columbus. But let's not forget Bob's beating KSU and Missouri when they were a very good teams. Bob is a die hard Sooner and has answered the calls much bigger than his wins/losses. I will never voice anything but praise for the man. CT has openly admitted that he is a cynical old man. Consider the source.
You're right about tOSU. But for me, remembering Bob in the press box in Columbus, was pretty special. And what he did for OUr program in the Turmoil last winter, cannot be shown enough gratitude. In many ways, he saved the program. Without what he did, I don't think BV gets the class he astonishingly accomplished in less than two months. We learned what powerful decency that Bob stands for, when he stepped up last December.

I referenced post season issues which donā€™t include Texas or Tennessee or Florida State after 2001. POST SEASON.
I have also praised Stoops for restoring OU to its great legacy in 1999 and for his stepping up to coach against Oregon last December while Venables was recruiting and assembling a coaching staff.
Iā€™m not a liar, or ā€œfull of venomā€ or ā€œdissingā€ anyone.
And happy Easter to you.

Scottsdale, when did I ā€œadmitā€anything ?

You're right about tOSU. But for me, remembering Bob in the press box in Columbus, was pretty special. And what he did for OUr program in the Turmoil last winter, cannot be shown enough gratitude. In many ways, he saved the program. Without what he did, I don't think BV gets the class he astonishingly accomplished in less than two months. We learned what powerful decency that Bob stands for, when he stepped up last December.
I could not agree with you more.. I will never utter a cross word about Bob Stoops. His investment in OU goes above and beyond the call of duty.

Scottsdale, when did I ā€œadmitā€anything ?
Ok you did not openly admit to being cynical but the proof is in about everything you post. Was your comments on the Overton commit to TAMU not cynical? Are you saying a good bit of your opinions are not cynical? Admit it, you are cynical. Are your opinions on Stoops not cynical? Be truthful.

Last edited:
Was your comments on the Overton commit to TAMU not cynical? Did you not say you are getting cynical? Are you saying a good bit of your opinions are not cynical? Admit it, you are cynical. Are your opinions on Stoops not cynical? Be truthful.
What did I say about Overton that was ā€œcynicalā€ ?
Do you know what that word means ?
Iā€™m out to talk football and a differing view by me or anyone here doesnā€™t make them a liar or venomous or somehow a lesser fan.

What did I say about Overton that was ā€œcynicalā€ ?
Do you know what that word means ?
Iā€™m out to talk football and a differing view by me or anyone here doesnā€™t make them a liar or venomous or somehow a lesser fan.
Is this not cynical? I know what that words means.

"Money is now more than ever dictating the behavior of athletes, coaches and fans, especially with gambling being pimped constantly on television these days. It's a whore mentality in the making."

"Overzealous boosters now have free reign to "buy" players.....again, the whore mentality can make its presence felt more than ever.
College football will become all about which school can "invest" more. Scholarships need to be renamed "grants", or at least have the preface "scholar" removed."
"Team loyalty, like sportsmanship and statesmanship are on the way to extinction."

"I have developed a bit of a "siege mentality" in my old age."

Do you not detect cynical tone here? Are you saying you are not cynical? Is your opinion of Bob Stoops not cynical?

Is this not cynical? I know what that words means.

"Money is now more than ever dictating the behavior of athletes, coaches and fans, especially with gambling being pimped constantly on television these days. It's a whore mentality in the making."

"Overzealous boosters now have free reign to "buy" players.....again, the whore mentality can make its presence felt more than ever.
College football will become all about which school can "invest" more. Scholarships need to be renamed "grants", or at least have the preface "scholar" removed."
"Team loyalty, like sportsmanship and statesmanship are on the way to extinction."

"I have developed a bit of a "siege mentality" in my old age."

Do you not detect cynical tone here? Are you saying you are not cynical? Is your opinion of Bob Stoops not cynical?
My siege mentality is about not letting things outside my control negatively impact me. Has nothing to do with cynicism.
Nothing I said was cynical. Itā€™s an opinion based on what the all-about-money focus that is poisoning many people. CFB seems more like a business than an athletic event. Now more than ever. This is what I perceive, thatā€™s all.
But you can regard it as being cynical, venomous or as lies.

Nothing has been said about venomous or lies. Not sure where that came from. Are your opinions about Stoops not cynical? Opinions can be cynical. Opinions and cynicism are not mutually exclusive.
Stoops had a less than stellar post season record at 9 wins 9 losses and some blow out losses. Iā€™m only referring to post season games. Thatā€™s not a cynical view. It is just an historical fact. But there is no doubt by me that heā€™s a HOF coach.
My view was labeled as a dissing of Stoops, unbecoming and venomous and based on lies by Plaino. Remember ?

A record of 9-9 was not a bowl record to brag about considering it is on the resume of a HOF coach.

Looking at overall bowl records can be very misleading. Some of those losses were in national championship games against some of the best teams in college football history. It's relatively easy to build a great bowl resume when you're routinely playing in games like the Armed Forces Bowl, First Responder Bowl, etc.

I think Teddy Roosevelt put it best: "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Looking at overall bowl records can be very misleading. Some of those losses were in national championship games against some of the best teams in college football history. It's relatively easy to build a great bowl resume when you're routinely playing in games like the Armed Forces Bowl, First Responder Bowl, etc.

I think Teddy Roosevelt put it best: "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Argument weak; speak loudly!! Teddy Roosevelt.

Not referring to you, LVPack.

Last edited:
Stoops had a less than stellar post season record at 9 wins 9 losses and some blow out losses. Iā€™m only referring to post season games. Thatā€™s not a cynical view. It is just an historical fact. But there is no doubt by me that heā€™s a HOF coach.
My view was labeled as a dissing of Stoops, unbecoming and venomous and based on lies by Plaino. Remember ?
Yes I remember. I have no doubt where your allegiance lies. I know the color of your blood. Your expressed views differ from mine and I accept that. Please don't take the impression that I am opposed to your opinions. I, on the other hand, often paint a much rosier picture than reality and let my optimism get in the way my logic. Take care my friend.

I remember after Stoops won his only National Title Barry Switzer told him you will Coach in some more, you won't win every one you Coach in though. I couldn't find the exact quote but I guess Barry was just letting him know its not an easy thing to do and you won't win em all. Saban hasn't won every one he has Coached in but he has won a bunch.
And sometimes the best team does not always win.
I have faith we will get another one in my lifetime but dang its been too long already.

ADVERTISEMENT