ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping Up With BGB!

That BGB nickname lost a lot of credibility later in his career at OU. Seems like he couldn't win a big game
True, but we were still one of most consistent programs near the top of cfb. Also BGB owned the B12 during his watch. 😁

I for one am pumped with Brent stearin the ship now.

Oh, and loyalty for his brother hurt. 😉

Last edited:
BGB's bowl record was 9-9, and blowout losses to USC, West Virginia, ATM, and Clemson twice stained the record even more.
But Stoops came to OU's rescue twice....in 1999 and last December when Riley left.
Oh I'm not saying I don't like the guy. OU owes a lot to him and vice versa. I'm just saying the big game Bob became kinda a joke.

I can’t argue with you but it’s just surprising that a coach that has achieved what he has chooses to be involved with a semi pro league instead of coaching in the NCAA.
Ever think he's done with the cfb bullshit? Have you? Bob is wanted by media outlets as well as start up leagues. Doesn't hurt that his wife sells makeup/cosmetics to women who need it 😉

Last edited:
Now you’re getting it, Woody. Bob Stoops had a great career as a college football coach. He can do better than coaching in a loser league. But if that’s what makes him happy then it’s okay. But I don’t get it. Weird’s me out.
Bob's in demand brother. He's good for the game.

Now you’re getting it, Woody. Bob Stoops had a great career as a college football coach. He can do better than coaching in a loser league. But if that’s what makes him happy then it’s okay. But I don’t get it. Weird’s me out.
In his last stint in the wrasslin’ league, Bob seemed like he was attempting to get part of the band back together in terms of players. Stoops has always been enamored with Hal Mumme and hired him as his OC in the XFL, turned out to be a disaster by all accounts. Stoops in the XFL confuses me as well judging from his demeanor through the years you would think a league like that would be beneath him and his coaching but then again he does have ownership in a brand of tequila called Rock and Roll Tequila or some such. Bet that took some brainstorming to come up with that moniker. Lol

The only joke on Bob is letting Brent run off to greener pastures and bringin his brother back. Imo.
But we are all better off today from this occurrence. BV became a better Def Coordinator and grew much more at Clemson than he would have at OU. A couple of MNC rings didn't hurt either. As a result, OU got a HC that has more quality game experience.

I must admit that I was extremely wrong about BV's hire as OU HC. He was my 2nd or 3rd choice. I'm very glad no one asked for my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

Really? Stoops retired from the grind of college football. The latest gig is to keep him busy and keep him involved in what he loves.

He's still very involved with OU. I honestly don't get the negativity about Stoops coaching in the "loser league." Stoops can do just about anything he damn well pleases.

But we are all better off today from this occurrence. BV became a better Def Coordinator and grew much more at Clemson than he would have at OU. A couple of MNC rings didn't hurt either. As a result, OU got a HC that has more quality game experience.

I must admit that I was extremely wrong about BV's hire as OU HC. He was my 2nd or 3rd choice. I'm very glad no one asked for my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.
In hindsight, yes. 👍

The folks in the b1g camp are fed up with Kirk and have been begging for Bob for years. I don’t think it will ever happen and I l love it so.

Nah he backed into a West Division (split conference title) and got smoked by Michigan in the CCG game, collected his bonus and an extension I think. One of his sons runs the anemic offense. He’s not leaving unless they crater

Most great coaches have a variety of mentors that they'd learned from, from different coaching trees. BV had one coaching tree since he left high school. It was a great one, from Bill Snyder. But he needed to branch out from that. Bob picked up some stuff from Spurrier and surely a little swagger, but it was good for Brent to live under a very different way of doing things under Dabo. And he got his spiritual life in order.

And under Dabo, it was totally his defense. He had to make all the important defensive decisions. No BStoops or MStoops to override him. Dabo let him be the defensive boss. it was good for him. He flourished more. That wouldn't have happened had he stayed in Norman for over 20 years. Just like it was good for Bob to go see how Spurrier did it.

Just like it was good for Saban to see how Belichick did it. Smart guys are smart guys. But the really smart guys know who's really good, and the LEARN. BV learned.

Kirk has to be the most overpaid coach in college football
Perhaps, but it's Iowa. I'm 70. Over my lifetime, the only guy who made the Hawkeyes truly relevant. Hayden Fry. Purdue was the one school that threw it, but Hayden made the passing game relevant in the Big Ten. He was using empty formations when the rest of the conference didn't know what that was.

He had to. He brought some Texas guys to Iowa, and spread it out, and usually ran effectively, but the two big population state teams, now three when Penn State joined the conference, are always going to dominate, especially tOSU. No way he can consistently compete with that. Worse now with NIL.

He's lucky to be in the West. Wisconsin has a little advantage. But for the resources available, Kirk has done a solid, if mostly unspectacular job. They seem to be mostly in the top 2 or 3 in the West. He owns ISU. Iowa could do a lot worse.

I can't imagine BGB ever taking that job. He would have replaced LR, before he would do that.

• Haha
Reactions: iasooner2000
Ferentz 23 years at Iowa: .618 winning % by being boring ! Until Campbell came to iSu, his record vs the Clones was tied and yes, he is vastly overpaid

ADVERTISEMENT