ADVERTISEMENT

Just got off a flight from LA in Austin

AbsoluteZer0

Sooner signee
Jul 10, 2008
Owasso, OK
And who was waiting at the gate? Mike Stoops. I wonder if it was a recruit he was waiting for. I was decked out in my gear so at least I got to shake his hand. :)

Didn't have the guts to ask if he was looking for a new job, but I felt that I could have gotten away with it since I don't believe he could have stopped me from running out of the airport. Lol

This post was edited on 1/20 7:50 PM by AbsoluteZer0

Trying to understand your post.

Mike Stoops was in the Austin, TX airport at the receive passengers area or he was actually at the gate waiting to board a flight?

Why would Mike Stoops be waiting for a recruit in the airport at the gate?

Dunno exactly why he was there. I just got off the plane and there he was standing there. He did have an OU shirt on. I didn't wanna bug him...so I just said hi coach and shook his hand and walked away.

Maybe he was boarding a flight now that you mention it. I am a bit old school and back in the day they did let you go to the gate so I didn't think about that.

This post was edited on 1/20 8:03 PM by AbsoluteZer0

I shared a beer with him in the Vegas airport in 2007 or 8. He was the Arizona coach at the time. I was just sitting at the bar and he came and sat down at the barstool next to me. Pretty nice guy. Did my absolute best to not talk football, but it didn't take before the 2000 season came up. I remember him saying that they came in in 99 and quickly realized they had some players, just no one was in the right position.

Originally posted by AbsoluteZer0:
Dunno exactly why he was there. I just got off the plane and there he was standing there. He did have an OU shirt on. I didn't wanna bug him...so I just said hi coach and shook his hand and walked away.

Maybe he was boarding a flight now that you mention it. I am a bit old school and back in the day they did let you go to the gate so I didn't think about that.

Boarding a flight, so that answered the question.

Originally posted by killerbs7:
I shared a beer with him in the Vegas airport in 2007 or 8. He was the Arizona coach at the time. I was just sitting at the bar and he came and sat down at the barstool next to me. Pretty nice guy. Did my absolute best to not talk football, but it didn't take before the 2000 season came up. I remember him saying that they came in in 99 and quickly realized they had some players, just no one was in the right position.[/B]
Below is that list...

How many were starters? 15 to 17 of them perhaps, so more than half the starters were from the John Blake era?

Three of them were Captains.

John Blake's roster players included:

1) Rocky Calmus - Captain

2) Roy Williams

3) Rocky Bright

4) Ryan Fischer

5) Corey Callens

6) Josh Norman

7) Seth Littrell

8) JT Thatcher

9) Stephen Burcham - Captain

10) Frank Romero

11) Brandon Moore

12) Ontei Jones

13) Andre Woolfolk

14) Curtis Fagan

15) Damien Mackey

16) Will Mathis

17) Scott Kempenich

18) Chris Hammonds - Captain

19) Jeff Ferguson

20) Barry Holleyman

21) Trevor Nutt

22) Ben Panter

23) Mike Skinner

24) Brad Davis

25) Roger Stephen

26) Travis Reese

Originally posted by JMISASANO:

Boarding a flight, so that answered the question.
Odd place to be boarding a flight from...smallish airport far away from Norman. So perhaps he was in the area recruiting or something.

Sounds like he was most likely boarding the plan that you just deboarded. I would assume he flies first class, so he was already up and waiting for you all to get the heck off.

If you shared your flight number from LA to Austin, we could probably see where exactly that plane was headed to next.

A lot of flights are circular, meaning they'll go from one airport and back every day of the week, e.g. LAX to DFW and back to LAX or vice versa.

However, there are still plenty that have multiple stops. I wouldn't guess there would be a regular flight from LAX to Austin and back to LAX, but I could be wrong.

American Airlines 1188.

It was just freaky to see him standing there.
Looks like AA1188 turns into AA1167 and heads right back to LAX every day.

AA1188 is LAX to AUS every day and lands about 7:15 at Gate 15. It's an MD83 jet.
AA1167 is also an MD83 jet that leaves AUS every day to LAX from Gate 15 at about 7:55.

Mike Stoops was headed to Los Angeles from Austin.

Originally posted by JConXtsy:

American Airlines 1188.

It was just freaky to see him standing there.
Looks like AA1188 turns into AA1167 and heads right back to LAX every day.

AA1188 is LAX to AUS every day and lands about 7:15 at Gate 15. It's an MD83 jet.
AA1167 is also an MD83 jet that leaves AUS every day to LAX from Gate 15 at about 7:55.

Mike Stoops was headed to Los Angeles from Austin.
Maybe. I fly way too much and often get to the gate when there is still a flight ahead of mine to go out. Mike could have easily been on the next flight out from that gate. No real way to know for certain.

I believe that's also the last flight out from that gate each day, 7:55.
Not positive, but I don't think Austin carries red eye flights.
It's like Love field, totally dead from 10-6.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

My bad. Yesterday, there was actually a US Airways / British Airways flight that was delayed and left Gate 15 at 8:05p.
That was likely it. Makes more sense too as it was on its way to DFW.

That AA flight to LAX moved gates to gate 13. Probably because of the delayed US Airways flight.

Austin to meet with PJ Mbanasor?
DFW to meet with either or both, Antoine Stephens and Kenneth Mann?

..... I remember him saying that they came in in 99 and quickly realized they had some players, just no one was in the right position.
So he got nostalgic and decided to recreate 1998 last year?

Originally posted by Phaeded:
..... I remember him saying that they came in in 99 and quickly realized they had some players, just no one was in the right position.
So he got nostalgic and decided to recreate 1998 last year?
Nice!

Did you make sure you stood 10 yards away from him?
laugh.r191677.gif
Then say kind of remind you of something Coach Stoops??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT