ADVERTISEMENT

Just Akron right?

tdsooners

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
Like most of you I'm sure, I was really disappointed with the way our O-line looked early in the game Saturday. If we can't whip these guys it bodes really poorly for our season right? So after we played a little better in the second half i stepped off the ledge but was still pretty concerned. So I got curious and went and did some research on the Akron team. What i found was interesting.

The starting front 7 at Akron consists of 5 seniors and 2 rs juniors.
The starting front 7 has 4 players who transferred from power 5 conferences.
The starting DE's were both transfers from Ohio St.
Number 90 who seemed to be in the backfield a ton, was Se'von Pittman. The 8th rated de in the country when he signed at the OSU in 2012.
Last season akron held power 5 conference schools Penn St and PItt to 21 and 10 respectively and beat Pitt.

So combine that with.....

3 guys making their first start on the OL
A new coordinator calling his first game at OU
A new offensive scheme
Lots of new faces at the skill spots.
Some penalties that put us in bad spots early in the game
A front look we had not practiced against in preperation per stoops.

So we didn't dominate. But we have a lot of room for growth, and will build on this experience.

And

Akron has pretty good players in that defensive front, and a history of playing tough D against power 5 teams. You aren't just going to roll out there and out athlete them up front because you're OU and they are "just Akron".

We aren't where we want to be but this made me feel better about our chances to have a good season. Hope this gives some of you a shot of optimism as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.