ADVERTISEMENT

Josh H. of UCF

Scottsdale.Sooner

Sooner starter
Jan 2, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona (most of the time)
Last night was the beginning of the end for Josh at UCF. Never ever take over a project, company, team or any type of high value progress driven objective that has obtained near flawless success without being privileged to the formula of that success. The chances of maintaining that success under complete change in style, philosophy, systems, leadership etc is near impossible and the odds are greatly against it. Business Management 101 in my opinion. Matt Campbell or Matt Ruhl vs Josh Hypl or Larry Coker.

He's just not a great play caller and not very creative. He's doing the same stuff there as he did here. Horizontal passing game. Doesn't exploit between the hash marks.

I agree as an OC he lacks imagination but if he was willing to hand over the play calling I honestly believe he could be a very good HC. No matter where he is I wish him nothing but success because he was a great Sooner and helped lead them to the last NC for our fan base.

I agree as an OC he lacks imagination but if he was willing to hand over the play calling I honestly believe he could be a very good HC. No matter where he is I wish him nothing but success because he was a great Sooner and helped lead them to the last NC for our fan base.

Agreed.

Reactions: iasooner1
I'll never forget the magical 2000 season when JH was legendary. Obviously the champ game was the best, but my other favorite was OU/Nebraska, the last game of "Red October." Huskers scored 2 quick TDs including a trick pass play to Eric Crouch and I thought the dream was over.

Heupel started cutting up their secondary and the next thing you know OU scored 24 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter. I was 22 years old and for the first time in forever I thought we have a good chance to win the big one. I knew that JH was just not going to let us lose that season. I'll never forget that day.

Ooooooo-kla-hooooma...
I'll never forget waiting on a sheet of ice in the southeast end of Memorial Stadium waiting for the team to arrive from Miami. Then Heupel took the mic and said, "all I've got to say is Oooooooo-kla-hooooooma, o-kla-hoooo-oma!" While doing the tomahawk chop.

I'll never forget the magical 2000 season when JH was legendary. Obviously the champ game was the best, but my other favorite was OU/Nebraska, the last game of "Red October." Huskers scored 2 quick TDs including a trick pass play to Eric Crouch and I thought the dream was over.

Heupel started cutting up their secondary and the next thing you know OU scored 24 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter. I was 22 years old and for the first time in forever I thought we have a good chance to win the big one. I knew that JH was just not going to let us lose that season. I'll never forget that day.

I was 42 living in Houston. Worked with Chance Mock's dad. I remember telling him, it feels like we won't ever lose another game. You just had the feeling that whatever happened, the team was going to find a way to win.
My most memorable - probably because we were at the game - is Torrence Marshall and the TAM game. Good times. Time to relive them in the present.

2000 was truely a magical season because nobody in the country had OU as being a team to contend for the NC. In many ways for me this was one of the most exciting seasons because of the lack of attention given to this team. Like many others on this board I have been around to see OU win 4 of it's 7 NC but this one was as special as they come. Don't get me wrong the 74 - 75, and 85 NC were special also but those teams were expected to contend.

As I have said in the past Heupel will always have my respect and I wish him nothing but the best as he continues his coaching career. He will always be a great Sooner as far as I am concerned.

He's just not a great play caller and not very creative. He's doing the same stuff there as he did here. Horizontal passing game. Doesn't exploit between the hash marks.
Heupel doesn't have the talent at UCF that he had at OU in 2000 so doing the "same stuff" now is harder to do.
Heupel was a key part of the 2000 team when he came to OU a year earlier and what he did both as player and coach I'm grateful for.

I didn't watch the game, but there is a reason he didn't work out at OU. Kinda reminds me of Chuck Long. Absolutely no imagination and not much of a personality. I always thought he would be a great players coach...kinda like Riley. Guess that just isn't his style

Reactions: Oklabama
Credit Tulsa for hanging tough. Lost their starting QB right before half and the backup (transfer from Baylor) comes in and plays lights out, keeping TU in the game. UCF QB melts down on their last two possessions in the 4Q with a fumble and INT deep in their own territory. TU's terrible kicker missed a chip shot FG after the fumble, but makes the 23-yarder after the INT to put TU ahead. UCF has the ball with 1:23 left, but no time outs. They convert on one fourth-down play to get to midfield, but on a 4th and seven with less than a minute, Heupel calls for a long fade ball down the sideline to a well-covered receiver. I thought it was strange play call as it seems like Heupel was hoping for a pass interference call if they could not make the catch.

Not sure if Heupel is headed for the door, but this was a game they could not afford to lose and any hopes of getting to the AAC Championship game and a decent bowl game are out the window.

Reactions: iasooner1
I doubt Josh is going anywhere. They lost a road game on a week night. But they are still a quality team. They had turnovers. That's not much the HC's fault. They beat Stanford early in the season, before Stanford's injuries put them in a bad spot. They still be Stanford worse than Oregon did. They killed a solid Temple team on the road.

Their losses besides Tulsa. I believe they are 7-3 with one tough and one rivalry game left. It's way too early to write Heupel's obit.

ADVERTISEMENT