ADVERTISEMENT

Josh, A&M vs OU success?

Jun 26, 2018
@Josh_M , I am curious about your thoughts about the recent developments that have occurred in the recruitment battle between Oklahoma and Texas A&M and whether the developments represent some sort of suspicious activity.

From what I understand, there were 4 A&M/OU targets that were slated to attend the ChampU BBQ, but they never made it to campus. This seems especially odd given that our only other real dropouts were out of region kids, which would totally be expected with travel costs and time. For example, Breese traveling from Florida to Oklahoma to Maryland was a large ask, as well as Eason and French driving 7-9 hours each way from Tennessee. Most of our in region targets made it campus and even ones that had previous engagements on that Friday seemed to make it- Wilkins, Raym, and Corcoran (I believe). Statistically, the absence of A&M targets make it quite an anomaly.

Furthermore, the A&M target dropouts show weirder oddities. A week before, longtime target McGlothern randomly couldn’t make it. McGlothern lives in Dallas, which is not only a relatively short drive but there were other OU people coming from the area who I would imagine would have been fine with giving him a ride- this same thing holds true for Mickens. Then, Marcus Stripling cancelled. Supposedly, he was coming with 10 of his family members. Considering this travel plan, I would assume that all 10 were in agreement and had specifically set aside time for this. If even 1 or 2 members were unable to go, that shouldn’t have prevented the rest of the family going with Marcus or Marcus just going with a smaller group. Finally, as we all know, Carter clearly told some falsehood about his tire and then dropped his previously shot commitment video to A&M on the same day. Seems like every few days the A&M targets were backing out all the way till the day of, which suggests some effort to drain momentum.

I am also curious about Akinola Ogunbiyi. When OU offered him, he seemed incredibly excited but then committed to A&M a week later. He was on campus for the BBQ but made no mention he was attending or posted anything about it afterwards or even retweet the pictures he was in. With this, I could definitely be reading into more than normal, but it just stuck out to me.

Given all this, combined with the inclusion of OU in Erick Young’s fake “top 3” list and those random nonsensical rumors about Spencer Rattler visiting A&M, what kind of garbage recruiting tactics are Jimbo Fisher and Tim Brewster employing? Add this with the people on this board who have made reference to Marcel Brooks attending A&M instead (the truth value may be null on that one), is there not some suspicion that money or resources are flowing through these 7v7 coaches or skill coaches?

This may all be too conspiratorial but this kind of thing has definitely happened before. To me, it raises red flags when a school is getting kids that they never really got, especially when they get blue chip kids for areas that they have never produced any consistent NFL talent for, such as the offensive line or defensive backs (really A&M never produces any NFL talent unless those kids were previously high level 4 stars or 5 stars like Myles Garrett, Christian Kirk, Germain Idefi, Cedric Ogbuehi, etc.). The argument that Jimbo might be able to explain the defensive back recruits with the previous FSU success seems unlikely given Ramsey’s twitter campaign against Jimbo and Brewster, which was backed by other former FSU backs, and the fact that Jimbo is a known offensive guy. ADDITIONALLY, the current defensive backs coach has only spent one season coaching defensive backs- at Minnesota of all places. None of this makes any real sense.

To me, the fact that A&M already has 23 commits is so weird considering the head coach hasn’t even coached a down yet and his previous two seasons at FSU were wildly mediocre. Recruits should know this and also recognize that FSU was really only winning when Miami was without Richt, Lamar wasn’t destroying at Louisville, and Clemson was the only other real threat in the ACC. In Richt’s first year, Jimbo barely beat him but lost the next year. Jimbo got shredded for two years by Lamar Jackson, and he lost to Clemson three years in a row. I would imagine a lot of those guys would at least wait to see how he performed, which is the logic for every other recruit considering a school with a brand new head coach, like Kelly at UCLA, Frost at Nebraska, and Mullen at Florida.

I imagine that now A&M has agreed to shell out a guaranteed $75 million for a coach who has only proven himself with top elite talent there is pressure to really appease fans and boosters so they must get top talent no matter what.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.