ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Burrows arm strength

sooners49

Sooner commitment
Oct 11, 2017
Broken Arrow
I’m watching the replay of the Peach bowl and it doesn’t look to me like he has that great an arm. I have seen this phenomenon before where the hype is greater than the substance. He has only had one good year and for that you go number one overall?Im glad I’m not making that call.
I guess time will tell.

Reactions: iasooner1
It remains to be seen if he's more Jake Fromm than Patrick Mahomet but he did thrive partly because he was put in a dynamic spread O his sEni or year and he was surrounded by an incredible array of talent. The Bengals do not have an incredible array of talent.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
How many busts have we seen on a can’t miss prospect?Im in my 60s and there are too many to count.Even with so called experts it is so hit and miss. It is the hardest position to evaluate in all of sports

Last edited:
I’m watching the replay of the Peach bowl and it doesn’t look to me like he has that great an arm. I have seen this phenomenon before where the hype is greater than the substance. He has only had one good year and for that you go number one overall?Im glad I’m not making that call.
I guess time will tell.
First, why watch another OU bowl meltdown ?
Second, Burrow was 29 of 39 for 493 yards and 7.....seven....touchdowns against OU.
While scouts do not regard his arm strength as elite, all other aspects of his game are solid. He and Mayfield will add so much to the Browns-Bengals rivalry.

I guess time will tell.

Sure out OU'ed our Offense. OU has never done it like that before. OU needs to recruit some studs or we will likely see the same results we have seen in past playoff games.
The SEC woke up to the high powered offenses and they are doing it better than OU has because of stud recruits. I don't like saying it but it does not mean its not true.
Everyone else needs to catch up or the SEC National Titles will just keep snowballing.
Saban saw where the future was headed and look what he did, went after stud QB's and WR's. LSU did the same and revamped their entire O and even picked Rileys brain in the process and did it better.
Gotta recruit the studs, being a big dog in the Lil 12 won't cut it.

That was a mistake.

I suppose Frost was looking for more of a runner.
No, it had more to do with Nebraska already having a returning true sophomore starting QB, and the precarious situation it would have created bringing in a 1 year transfer QB.

It really was a no win situation for Frost. And no f’king way Burrow plays to the same level at NU anyway. Nebraska’s talent level has fallen off the face of the earth.

Whether or not Burrow has an NFL skill set remains to be seen. However, based on what Burrow did to us in the Peach Bowl, any OU fan poking holes in any aspect of his game rings pretty hollow. I don't think I've ever seen anything close to the chemistry Burrow and his receivers had nor have I seen anything close to the accuracy and touch with which he was able to place the ball anywhere on the field.

Didn’t mean to ruffle feathers I didn’t watch it through the first time after getting down by 28 or whatever so I decided to rewatch some of it. I was just stating an opinion. Cleaning OU’s clock on defense is not some great accomplishment just watched his play. I have seen all the meltdowns since the 70s so I have seen a lot of bad play. Most of the worst were in the last 20 years so I have seen em.

Burrow, for however many flaws he may have, was the consensus top pick in every mock draft I saw and every player evaluation I heard.
While tearing apart OU's weak defense isn't much of a barometer of how good he is or will be, and knowing that he, like any player, could be a bust, I believe the Bengals made the right call.
FWIW, I liked the Giants' haul, getting two good OT's, the highest rated safety and getting some defensive help.

I guess time will tell.

Kyler Murray only had one good season.

It remains to be seen if he's more Jake Fromm than Patrick Mahomet but he did thrive partly because he was put in a dynamic spread O his sEni or year and he was surrounded by an incredible array of talent. The Bengals do not have an incredible array of talent.

This... so much. That team was heavily talented and the NFL draft supported those thoughts.

Funniest thing about Burrow to me is that the "savior" up Lincoln passed on him.

I don't blame him. Hindsight being 20/20. He didn't come w/ a strong HS background. And he couldn't cut it at tOSU. His only year as a starter wasn't all that. The kid caught lightening in a bottle. Few if any others would have bet on his skillsets.

Sooners had 2 Heisman QBs one on field and one in waiting...a solid passing game in place. LSU has a mediocre passing game before Burrow. So you can say he was a high impact player with great WR to get the ball to, and a good RB also. It will be interesting to see Mixon’s game elevate if Burrow gets to play.

Since the Bengals released Andy Dalton, I suspect Burrow could start game one. I can't imagine Ryan Finley beating him out.

It’s Burrow all the way now. The skill guys around him are quite good (assuming AJ & Ross being healthy, which is a none too small assumption considering the past couple of years). It quite frankly comes down to the line, which for the past 2 seasons has been the worst in my almost 40 years of fandom, although I will say that they were starting to show a bit of a pulse in the last 5-6 games last year. They get what’s basically a free 1st round pick this year in Williams, who didn’t play a down last year after being their top draft pick.

Believe it or not, the defense was worse, specifically the linebackers (& to a lesser extent the DB’s), which led to them signing Bynes from Baltimore, plus drafting 3 more. I obviously hope I’m wrong in this prognosis, but I’m going to be a little surprised if Evans hangs on to a spot in the final 55.

I don't blame him. Hindsight being 20/20. He didn't come w/ a strong HS background. And he couldn't cut it at tOSU. His only year as a starter wasn't all that. The kid caught lightening in a bottle. Few if any others would have bet on his skillsets.

Completely false, Joe Burrow beat out Dwayne Haskins and was JT Barrett's backup but then broke his hand and Haskins got his chance vs Michigan and being younger and an even spring, Meyer was honest with Joe and he decided to leave. He would have been a star at OSU if he stayed as well but no one thought Haskins would only stay 1 year.

Did anyone else think Burrow was injured when Neville got to him on their first or second drive? I mean, I hate to admit i got a little excited over a potential injury but....

I don't believe LSU would have lost even with Burrow injured because LSU was overall superior to OU.
OU did not belong on the same field with LSU or the other 2 playoff teams with its weak defense.
Also, I want OU to face healthy teams because I want no excuses and I don't like any player getting injured.

I don't believe LSU would have lost even with Burrow injured because LSU was overall superior to OU.
OU did not belong on the same field with LSU or the other 2 playoff teams with its weak defense.
Also, I want OU to face healthy teams because I want no excuses and I don't like any player getting injured.

Right, i agree 100%. You should never hope for an opposing player to get injured, all i'm saying is I did say "dang it" when he got up and threw a touchdown pass the next play. It was more of a "level the playing field" thing since DTY was injured and K9 was having his hamstring issues.

ADVERTISEMENT