ADVERTISEMENT

It's official. CCG is Texas and OSU

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
That's enough orange to make even Dabo puke.

In case you missed it, BYU took the Pokes to double OT before having the ball stolen in the 2nd overtime when a TD and two pointer would have sent us to Arlington. The second Big 12 team this weekend to be 5-6 coming in, needing to win to qualify for a bowl game, and losing. Also happened to TCU yesterday.

Blizzard going on in the KSU ISU game right now.

F_0suw0XgAAYROO

Reactions: iasooner2000
Just a few flurries, none of the leaves have dropped off my giant oak yet. Fortunately all the maples are mulched and disposed of except for the ones from the horrid neighbor just North of me :(

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Just a few flurries, none of the leaves have dropped off my giant oak yet. Fortunately all the maples are mulched and disposed of except for the ones from the horrid neighbor just North of me :(
Cool! Raked some Sycamore leaves today, not a Sycamore tree in my yard. Leaves are about the size of a catchers mitt and smell like a Swisher Sweet when burning them. More will fall before its all over but got rid of 3 large piles today.

So is the loser of the CCG the default #2 bowl recipient this year (Cotton ?) or will that be decided by the rankings ?

We used to be able to burn leaves (in town) until someone bitched about their asthma or something
I live in the sticks now, can burn whatever I want except during droughts and they issue a Burn Ban. Mostly burn limbs and twigs that fall but this time of year its those and the leaves. Keeps me busy but it beats mowing for 3 hrs every 5 days. 😁

So is the loser of the CCG the default #2 bowl recipient this year (Cotton ?) or will that be decided by the rankings ?

The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are playoff sites, so only the Big 12 champion is guaranteed a NY6 berth this year. If the Sugar Bowl was not a playoff site, the Big 12 would be guaranteed a berth, even if the champion made it into the playoffs. The Cotton Bowl does not have conference tie-ins, so the Big 12 is not guaranteed a slot in it. The Orange Bowl must select an ACC team (either Florida State or Louisville) . and the highest ranked SEC or Big Ten team available. The Peach and Fiesta do not have conference tie-ins, and the highest ranked remaining teams will fill the open slots (with one reserved for the highest ranked Group of Five team). OU will need to be ranked in the top ten to get one of those at-large slots in the Cotton, Fiesta or Peach.

Last edited:
Most likely the Alamo Bowl or Pop Tart Bowl again this year for OU. I say again for the PopTart Bowl because I heard the name changed, last yr it was the Cheezit Bowl when we played and lost to FL State.

• Sad
Maybe we’ll get a shot @ Iowa after they lose to Meatchicken. They have a top 10 defense and 130th ranked offense so we should light them up if Dillon and Stoops play

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Maybe we’ll get a shot @ Iowa after they lose to Meatchicken. They have a top 10 defense and 130th ranked offense so we should light them up if Dillon and Stoops play
From all projections, OU will get avery good Arizona team in the Alamo Bowl. I actually like that since they are 9-3 and will be ranked around 14-15 range. It should be a good matchup.

The committee will unltimately decide our fate in regard to a NY6 Bowl. As LV said we would have to be top 10. I dont see the committee moving OU past Ole Miss or PSU despite OU has the best win among them

I don't think so. First of all, the whole country saw the screw job at the end of Bedlam in Stillwater. Was it one or two years ago, that two Big Ten teams played in the final four. I think it was last year. Ohio State didn't play in their CCG.

Second, OSU is only 9-3. There's no way they're going to a top 12 game, especially with another loss. Now if OSU wins, then we're definitely out of it. Because Texas is definitely going in the top 12 teams. Actually top 11, because one group of five teams gets in. I think it's a little under 50-50 but I think there's definitely a shot, unless they send three teams from one conference.

The only way that OSU gets in, is if they beat Texas. And don't doubt that it happened. I know that BV doesn't believe in conspiracies. But I do.

Actually top 11, because one group of five teams gets in. I think it's a little under 50-50 but I think there's definitely a shot, unless they send three teams from one conference.

You're on the right track, but it's actually top 10, because the Orange Bowl by rule gets an ACC team. That will be either Florida State, Louisville, or NC State (if Florida State blows out Louisville and they drop below NC State in the final rankings.)

So I guess that means that both Louisville and Florida State are in? Are you sure that's the case if FSU makes the final four?

If FSU makes the final four, the Orange Bowl MUST have a replacement team from the ACC by rule. That team will be either Louisville (most likely), or NC State if Louisville gets blown out and drops below them in the final rankings.

The blown call on Drake Stoops was game altering for sure.
Much as the calls in the 2006 Oregon game and the 1984 Texas games.
I have no idea if these calls were conspiratorial (although the OSU game sure seemed like it given the historical significance of it being Bedlam’s last game).

If FSU makes the final four, the Orange Bowl MUST have a replacement team from the ACC by rule. That team will be either Louisville (most likely), or NC State if Louisville gets blown out and drops below them in the final rankings.
But if Louisville wins, they get an automatic top 12 position, and FSU at 12-1 would too. So there will be two from the ACC.

But if Louisville wins, they get an automatic top 12 position, and FSU at 12-1 would too. So there will be two from the ACC.

That's correct. The ACC is going to have two teams in the NY6, regardless of who wins. If Louisville wins, they get the automatic Orange Bowl bid as ACC champion. Florida State would still be ranked pretty high with only one loss and get an at-large bid to the Peach, Cotton or Fiesta Bowl.

Penn State and Ole Miss are definitely worried about "bid stealers." That would be Iowa defeating Michigan in the Big Ten championship. Iowa would then steal a slot (most likely the Orange Bowl) that they would not get if they lost to Michigan. Michigan would then get an at-large slot in the Cotton, Fiesta or Peach Bowl. Same thing with the Big XII championship. If OSU wins, they get an automatic berth in the Cotton, Fiesta or Peach, and Texas might still be ranked high enough to get one of those at-large slots.

Penn State and Ole Miss are hoping for Michigan to beat Iowa and Texas to beat Oklahoma State.

Last edited:
I don't see how it could possibly happen, but I'd love to play Penn State.

Would be a great matchup, but nearly impossible. If Penn State doesn't make the cut for a NY6, they'll get the Big Ten's highest prestige minor bowl game, which is the Citrus Bowl in Orlando against an SEC team.

Iowa has not won a game against a ranked team this season and only played one (Penn State) and were soundly defeated (shut out).

As much as I bag on them they have the same record as OU and if not for a horrible call at the end of the game vs Minnesota where they were stripped of a winning TD by a phantom “illegal fare catch” signal which was bogus would be 11-1, in spite of being having the worst offense in FCS (130th) and would be dreaming of a NY6 game but may get the Citrus Bowl. Their top 10 defense will be gassed and Mish will spank them Saturday night (hopefully)

One of the things about bowl games, is that neither is the same team that they were in the regular season. Lots of guys opt out. And teams seem to have a varying interest in the bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT