ADVERTISEMENT

It's been a long long time.....

LAY THE WOODY

Sooner starter
Jul 23, 2008
But I don't think it's unrealistic that one of OUr running backs are in the Heisman discussion for '23. Barnes,Sawchuck, Gray.

Last edited:
I don’t see it unless one of them can’t play for some reason & the other has to carry the load, ala’ Perine in ‘14. I do agree with several others that I’ve heard in the respect that they’ll both push, if not eclipse, the 1,000 yard mark. Like CT said, there’s always the unknown Major factor as well.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I don’t see it unless one of them can’t play for some reason & the other has to carry the load, ala’ Perine in ‘14. I do agree with several others that I’ve heard in the respect that they’ll both push, if not eclipse, the 1,000 yard mark. Like CT said, there’s always the unknown Major factor as well.
Perine was a work horse. That's what I always love to see. A young back step up and be unstoppable for OUr team, and carry the load all season without serious injury. Someone to step up with the heart of Q. Griffin, or Peterson and so many more to mention. Remember how hard J.D. Runnels worked. Dude was a gamer.

Barnes and Sawchuck are capable of a running game we haven't witnessed in years. I'm confident and on board. Excited even. 👍

I am gonna wait and be from Missouri, the Show Me State before I lay praise on anyone just yet. Nothing wrong with being optimistic but I gave up being fooled by hype yrs ago.

I think these guys can be pretty good runners. But l can see at least two cautions, especially with Sawchuck.

One is can they do the other things required of the position. Especially can they pass block. You can't be just a runner. Can you get all the assignments right and on the blocking, get the guy blocked.

Second, when a young guy without much tread on his tires, plays at the end of the season, he's going to be faster than everybody else, and comparatively appear better than he might be after he acquires the same level of dings and nicks as everybody else.

Let's just hold off on the proclamations of greatness just yet.

OU will always have good running backs and Barnes and Sawchuk are the latest additions, with Smothers, Hicks and McCarty coming in....with Major also available.
I believe OU doesn't recruit running backs that can't block well, so that's not a concern for me right now.
Sawchuk's fumble vs Florida State was costly, but so was a dropped interception, a missed field goal and OU's still shaky defense... which I believe will no longer be a weakness as Venables upgrades OU's defensive recruiting as well as his recruiting in Dixie.

I think these guys can be pretty good runners. But l can see at least two cautions, especially with Sawchuck.

One is can they do the other things required of the position. Especially can they pass block. You can't be just a runner. Can you get all the assignments right and on the blocking, get the guy blocked.

Second, when a young guy without much tread on his tires, plays at the end of the season, he's going to be faster than everybody else, and comparatively appear better than he might be after he acquires the same level of dings and nicks as everybody else.

Let's just hold off on the proclamations of greatness just yet.
Plaino my optimism comes from none other than a breakout season for OUr running game my man. What's more exciting than that? A change of pace from the arena football we've been subjected under TBOW. It's what gets me juiced. I just have this feeling Barnes and Sawchuck are gonna be highlights in 23 in addition to a much improved defense. TBOW and Brent are night and day in coaching philosophies as you know. Gut feeling for me. 👍

BOOMER!

Last edited:
Spring is the time for football optimism around here. We'll see how it goes. There's a shortage of healthy experience in the running back room. I'm usually a little on the pessimistic side. I haven't had to deal with a sub .500 season since John Blake.

So I'm a little more so coming into the year of team 129.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT