ADVERTISEMENT

Is Oklahoma destined for B10 in 2025

No debate from me that OU is a national brand nationwide. It always has been since the Wilkinson days.
OU can recruit coast to coast....and even Canada....for talent. Stoops and Riley have opened that door wide. They have had to, in part, with ATM joining the SEC and opening up Texas recruiting more to SEC teams.
But I believe OU will always have a strong presence in Texas and can stay on the same level with recruiting there against teams from Dixie.
Bill Connors, the great sports writer from Tulsa who's in the Oklahoma Sports HOF, once said when referring to OU's recruiting, that high school boys in both Oklahoma and Texas know and appreciate what it means to play at OU more than anywhere else because they are on OU's recruiting turf. But with the social media we have these days and the saturation of CFB televised games at least three times per week, perhaps Connors' words are not as valid as they were 45-50 years ago. I happen to think they are, but maybe to a lesser degree.
IMO, as long as OUr current teams, and those going forward, can continue to beat the 'horns on a fairly consistent basis, the young men on both sides of the Red will know Who, What and Where Oklahoma Stands in the Recruiting Wars...It's up to OUr Players and Coaches to Lead By Example, Set the Bar High and 'Seal the Deal'...

IMO, as long as OUr current teams, and those going forward, can continue to beat the 'horns on a fairly consistent basis, the young men on both sides of the Red will know Who, What and Where Oklahoma Stands in the Recruiting Wars...It's up to OUr Players and Coaches to Set the Bar High and 'Seal the Deal'...

I agree. Of the 8 Tx recruits that have verbally committed to OU for 2019, all 8 of them are from North Texas, specifically the DFW metroplex. Save one who is from Richmond, down in the Houston area. I suspect they would have committed to OU no matter what conference OU was in.

Actually, OU has 3 commits from the Houston area in this class currently being recruited...2 from Richmond and one from Manvel.

I agree. Of the 8 Tx recruits that have verbally committed to OU for 2019, all 8 of them are from North Texas, specifically the DFW metroplex. Save one who is from Richmond, down in the Houston area. I suspect they would have committed to OU no matter what conference OU was in.
Agree.
The DFW Metroplex is the richest area of Texas for talent.

Reactions: iasooner1
I think since Stoops came we have been very good at finding and developing off the radar talent but it has seemed to me that we settled for that approach as if we weren't able to compete with other high profile schools for elite players. That has changed with Riley and a lot of it has to do with how Riley and his staff are marketing/selling the program...use of social media, ability to relate at the kids level, a style of play that is exciting. Our staff has recruiting connections from coast to coast.

Agree.
The DFW Metroplex is the richest area of Texas for talent.
At the OU Club of Houston function preseason 1985, Switzer said that if he could have his choice of players from Houston, Dallas and Kansas City every year he could win a National Championship two of any given five year period. He also said he would win a National Championship with Troy Aikman at the helm. Natty yes, Troy no. Switzer was noted for making bold statements that seemed to materialize.

At the OU Club of Houston function preseason 1985, Switzer said that if he could have his choice of players from Houston, Dallas and Kansas City every year he could win a National Championship two of any given five year period. He also said he would win a National Championship with Troy Aikman at the helm. Natty yes, Troy no. Switzer was noted for making bold statements that seemed to materialize.
Switzer was right.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...about-buying-Tier-3-rights-from-OU-119647264/

Seen this on the main Rivals board along with the link. What are your thoughts on it. Personally I would have no problems seeing OU make the move and rekindle that NU rivalry.

If the link is unaceptable to post here then just delete this post. Im not a OU Insider subscriber but was able to view it from the rivals link posted on the CFB Soundoff board.

I think the B1G would be a terrible move for OU. We have nothing in common with most of those teams. Maybe Nebraska and Iowa, but the rest of them, no.

I would rather find a way to go to the Pac 12 or even the SEC before the B1G

I think the B1G would be a terrible move for OU. We have nothing in common with most of those teams. Maybe Nebraska and Iowa, but the rest of them, no.

I agree with the SEC over the Big Ten, but I don’t see anything in common with the PAC especially time zones.

If OU is to ever truly leave the B12 I have a feeling the SEC would make a huge push for OU. I dont want the PAC at this point as it makes no sense to align with pacific coast schools. It will come down to the B10 and SEC if it happens I believe.

Ou isn't leaving and I'm not sure why this is always brought up.

None of us really know what the future is going to bring so I would never say “never” because money talks and even though the B12 does fine it would increase value with those 2 conferences. OU will do whats best for OU in the end. Until the conference actually wins a title in this new era it is always going to be a topic of some teams going elsewhere. Just my opinion though.

Just to clarify my post above I have never been an advocate for OU being anywhere other than the Big XII. From a geographical standpoint I don't see much difference between the Pac 12 and the B1G/SEC. Also, I don't think that OU will go anywhere without osu. Also, I don't think that OU will go anywhere without Texas. We have already lost the Nebraska rivalry and losing the Texas rivalry wouldn't be a good thing.

People like to talk about OU's tradition as if it is important. I think it is hugely important and the old Nebraska and Texas rivalries are a huge part of OU's tradition. Losing your biggest rivals isn't a really good thing.

I have always thought that the best thing that could happen if the Big XII dissolved would be for OU, osu, Texas and another Texas school find a home in another conference. I don't think that will happen in the B1G or SEC. That leaves the Pac 12.

The Pac 12 taking four Big 12 schools would give two divisions with eight teams. So, there would be seven division games and two more with the other division with the same ole three OOC games. The four Big 12 in a division with the two Arizona schools and Utah and Colorado wouldn't be a big deal. Divide them up and the CMT schools in the division would play one division team in the MTZ and another in the PTZ.

In that scheme there isn't a whole lot of difference between the travel with the Pac 12 as there would be in the B1G/SEC. Oklahoma is smack dab in the middle of the country. The distance from OKC to the Atlantic and Pacific coasts is very close to the same.

Now I know someone is going to go look up the mileage and make some big deal out of it. However, that will just be splitting hairs.

We have to take recruiting into all of this as well. I believe that OU and Texas are tied fairly closely to recruiting. Texas is a state that historically [at least from the mid40s] has been our bread and butter. I know there are lots of OU fans who hate Texas and don't ever want them to be good. I have never thought OU's ability to recruit ever depended upon some other team being good. How OU recruits is up to OU. Only losers have to rely on others being bad to make themselves look good. The best OU teams that won NCs were teams that beat pretty good Texas and Nebraska teams.

My point is that being in the Pac 12 with a good Texas would give OU a better shot at both Texas and California talent. I'm not sure it would hurt OU's recruiting in other parts of the country.

Lots of OU fans seem to think that OU going to the SEC would automatically provide lots more dollars. I think the best way for OU to make more money is for the OU/Texas rivalry mean more than it has over the last five or six years. A Big !2 being led by both OU and Texas give us pretty much equal footing with the other Power 5 conferences. We start winning playoff games and we become more attractive from a TV set standpoint.

Neither Arkansas nor A&M has really helped themselves by going to the SEC. And, what has the SEC done for Missouri except for more losing football games.

There are way to many unknowns about the value to OU by going to any other conference. What I do know is that OU's chances of getting into the playoffs gets much harder by going to the B1G/SEC. Anyone who thinks OU has a better chance at being the SEC West Championship is easy is just deluding themselves.

Just to clarify my post above I have never been an advocate for OU being anywhere other than the Big XII. From a geographical standpoint I don't see much difference between the Pac 12 and the B1G/SEC. Also, I don't think that OU will go anywhere without osu. Also, I don't think that OU will go anywhere without Texas. We have already lost the Nebraska rivalry and losing the Texas rivalry wouldn't be a good thing.

People like to talk about OU's tradition as if it is important. I think it is hugely important and the old Nebraska and Texas rivalries are a huge part of OU's tradition. Losing your biggest rivals isn't a really good thing.

I have always thought that the best thing that could happen if the Big XII dissolved would be for OU, osu, Texas and another Texas school find a home in another conference. I don't think that will happen in the B1G or SEC. That leaves the Pac 12.

The Pac 12 taking four Big 12 schools would give two divisions with eight teams. So, there would be seven division games and two more with the other division with the same ole three OOC games. The four Big 12 in a division with the two Arizona schools and Utah and Colorado wouldn't be a big deal. Divide them up and the CMT schools in the division would play one division team in the MTZ and another in the PTZ.

In that scheme there isn't a whole lot of difference between the travel with the Pac 12 as there would be in the B1G/SEC. Oklahoma is smack dab in the middle of the country. The distance from OKC to the Atlantic and Pacific coasts is very close to the same.

Now I know someone is going to go look up the mileage and make some big deal out of it. However, that will just be splitting hairs.

We have to take recruiting into all of this as well. I believe that OU and Texas are tied fairly closely to recruiting. Texas is a state that historically [at least from the mid40s] has been our bread and butter. I know there are lots of OU fans who hate Texas and don't ever want them to be good. I have never thought OU's ability to recruit ever depended upon some other team being good. How OU recruits is up to OU. Only losers have to rely on others being bad to make themselves look good. The best OU teams that won NCs were teams that beat pretty good Texas and Nebraska teams.

My point is that being in the Pac 12 with a good Texas would give OU a better shot at both Texas and California talent. I'm not sure it would hurt OU's recruiting in other parts of the country.

Lots of OU fans seem to think that OU going to the SEC would automatically provide lots more dollars. I think the best way for OU to make more money is for the OU/Texas rivalry mean more than it has over the last five or six years. A Big !2 being led by both OU and Texas give us pretty much equal footing with the other Power 5 conferences. We start winning playoff games and we become more attractive from a TV set standpoint.

Neither Arkansas nor A&M has really helped themselves by going to the SEC. And, what has the SEC done for Missouri except for more losing football games.

There are way to many unknowns about the value to OU by going to any other conference. What I do know is that OU's chances of getting into the playoffs gets much harder by going to the B1G/SEC. Anyone who thinks OU has a better chance at being the SEC West Championship is easy is just deluding themselves.
I agree with a lot of what you said but just like you said of Texas and California recruiting in the Pac", it is the same in the SEC by keeping Texas, which I think is a must wherever OU may wind up, is to keep a big presence in TX for us to stay competitive, but then we have Florida which has as much HS talent as California I would think. We also have more access to Louisiana recruits now that we would play a set amount of conference games each yr in SEC country. I think its a legit statement that Big 12 lead by OU + TX ok puts us on equal ground with any confernce most yrs. But to be honest, I dont see the Big12 surviving if they don't bring in much more $ to keep up with SEC & BIG payouts now.if we are 10 - 20 million behind a yr it is gonna get tuff to stay up in facilities.

To survive, the B12 has to expand, and a 12 team conference may not keep the league viable if all the other Power Conferences are at 16. I just think there aren’t enough decent schools out there that the B12 can get. When Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and A&M left, we could only find two to add to the conference. Well, really at that time there were others that we may have gotten but that ship has sailed.

To survive, the B12 has to expand, and a 12 team conference may not keep the league viable if all the other Power Conferences are at 16. I just think there aren’t enough decent schools out there that the B12 can get. When Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and A&M left, we could only find two to add to the conference. Well, really at that time there were others that we may have gotten but that ship has sailed.
Agree with you....but what teams are out there that are free to join and want to join the Big12 ? Numbers-wise, the ACC and Pac12 are possibilities, but I don't want Oklahoma in the Pac12. The ACC has 14 teams....could OU and Texas be added to make the ACC 16 teams ?
Now that geography is no longer a factor and long standing and great rivalries have been gutted, I guess anything goes.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"....anymore.

Agree with you....but what teams are out there that are free to join and want to join the Big12 ? Numbers-wise, the ACC and Pac12 are possibilities, but I don't want Oklahoma in the Pac12. The ACC has 14 teams....could OU and Texas be added to make the ACC 16 teams ?
Now that geography is no longer a factor and long standing and great rivalries have been gutted, I guess anything goes.

Dearly, My Frank, Me, Neither...:cool:

Exactly. The odds are in the favor of a 14 team conference to expand than any ten team conference ......even a 10 team conference with OU and Texas in it. IMO, adding two more teams to the B12 won’t fix the problem long term.

That is why I say I dont see the BIG 12 with 10 teams lasting another CR throughout the country. I hope there is no thoughts of ever joining the ACC or the PAC for that matter. Last night a few post had me thinking BIG after years of my screaming SEC every chance I had. I can still see some big time matchupss every year in the BIG and the SEC both. Just think about every week almost in conference play, Home or Away games would be National Championship qualifiers and elemination games both. There ain't no settling for 2nd tier recruits anymore for the OU's and Bama, GA, Clemson , or The OSU because to be at the top of of those ballbuster games and stand champion of just your division is an accomplishment that 4 - 5 stars have to bw the norm for them and us.

That is why I say I dont see the BIG 12 with 10 teams lasting another CR throughout the country. I hope there is no thoughts of ever joining the ACC or the PAC for that matter. Last night a few post had me thinking BIG after years of my screaming SEC every chance I had. I can still see some big time matchupss every year in the BIG and the SEC both. Just think about every week almost in conference play, Home or Away games would be National Championship qualifiers and elemination games both. There ain't no settling for 2nd tier recruits anymore for the OU's and Bama, GA, Clemson , or The OSU because to be at the top of of those ballbuster games and stand champion of just your division is an accomplishment that 4 - 5 stars have to bw the norm for them and us.

Yeah; tosu went into Ia City flat and got curbstomped by the lowly hawx who saved their miserable season late last year with one quality win and made themselves bowl eligible.

We know all about trap games...

We can’t look at this like a fan or even like a sports reporter…We must look at this like we are operating a major business.

There are way too many programs in the Big 12 with their small fan bases who will never pull their own financial weight. Because of this, in the long term, the Big 12 distributions of money cannot stay financially competitive with the Big 10 or the SEC.

OU is controlled and operated by people with strong convections for great academics and its research who will want OU in the Big Ten. The new Big 10 contracts would offer OU sports a lot more money, stability, better exposure for our recruiting; opportunity’s to play in more high profile games in large stadiums and a much improved average home and road schedule.

The Big Ten operates its own academic conference that would benefit OU’s academics / research and be very appealing to OU officials.

We can’t look at this like a fan or even like a sports reporter…We must look at this like we are operating a major business.

There are way too many programs in the Big 12 with their small fan bases who will never pull their own financial weight. Because of this, in the long term, the Big 12 distributions of money cannot stay financially competitive with the Big 10 or the SEC.

OU is controlled and operated by people with strong convections for great academics and its research who will want OU in the Big Ten. The new Big 10 contracts would offer OU sports a lot more money, stability, better exposure for our recruiting; opportunity’s to play in more high profile games in large stadiums and a much improved average home and road schedule.

The Big Ten operates its own academic conference that would benefit OU’s academics / research and be very appealing to OU officials.

I would like OU in the Big 10 as long as it could retain its Texas rivalry somehow....either by going with Texas to the Big 10 or just scheduling them annually, as USC does with Notre Dame.
If I were the Big 10 I would want both OU and Texas. Ok-State and the other Texas teams could pound sand for all I care.

What a difference a week makes; the b1g is so tainted now they should be beating down OUr doors to save their collective bacon as it is...

Easy there. This type of thinking would have Baylor's behavoir casting negatives on the Big 12, including OU. tOSU program is bigger than Urban Meyer.

I have an in-law hawkeye fan who is a prof @ Ames now that's begging for a new coach not named Ferentz..

I know it's the year again for Wisconsin or Michigan smash mouth football; hopefully one or the other gets knocked off by a hawx or a Lion...

Last edited:
Reactions: Senior Sooner
I have an in-law hawkeye fan who is a prof @ Ames now that's begging for a new coach not named Ferentz..

I know it's the year again for Wisconsin or Michigan smash mouth football; hopefully one or the other gets knocked off a hawx or a Lion...

Ferentz has a bird’s nest on the ground. He’s got a contract through 2026 making $4.5M a year while winning 59.6% of his games at Iowa. BTW, he was 12-22 at Maine. Woohoo! He had a couple of good years about a decade and a half ago then won the B10 West in 2015 (his third) thus the contract extension to 2026. In nineteen years at Iowa this guy has had five 10 win seasons. So what’s not to like? :D Of course this is the Iowa Hawkeyes. Kirk is in his early 60’s so retirement probably isn’t in his plans anytime soon. All he has to do is win 8 games a year with a 9 win season around 2023. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT