ADVERTISEMENT

Is Oklahoma destined for B10 in 2025

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009
https://247sports.com/college/oklah...about-buying-Tier-3-rights-from-OU-119647264/

Seen this on the main Rivals board along with the link. What are your thoughts on it. Personally I would have no problems seeing OU make the move and rekindle that NU rivalry.

If the link is unaceptable to post here then just delete this post. Im not a OU Insider subscriber but was able to view it from the rivals link posted on the CFB Soundoff board.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...about-buying-Tier-3-rights-from-OU-119647264/

Seen this on the main Rivals board along with the link. What are your thoughts on it. Personally I would have no problems seeing OU make the move and rekindle that NU rivalry.

If the link is unaceptable to post here then just delete this post. Im not a OU Insider subscriber but was able to view it from the rivals link posted on the CFB Soundoff board.

Here is the topic on the CFBSO board from Rivals.

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/btn-and-fox-negotiating-to-buy-okie-3rd-tier-rights.825427/

Reactions: iasooner1
At this stage of My Life, I spend time wishing 'Things' were as they used to be, so, for me, and my house...Big XIII...Big XIII...Big XIII...

From 'We weren't Broke' to 'We ain't Fixed'...

Thomas Wolfe says 'We can't go home, again', so where do we go? what do we do?

I hear ya, Senior. I hate wishing for something I don’t really want. The Big 8 was a great conference.

Whatever OU does for conference realignments, a move to the Big 10 would be unwise because of its possible impact on recruiting in Texas.
My hope is to see two prominent teams added to the Big "not so 12". Teams like Cincinnati, Tulane, Tulsa, Colorado State, SMU, etc. should not be considered....but then, who ?
In a perfect world, Nebraska and ATM would be perfect. Thank you, UT.

Maybe Houston and an upwardly mobile Florida school ? I was in Tul recently and a LOT of $$$ has been pumped into TU's facilities. Granted its not been moved to Southtown but its a lot better than it was

Wouldn't it be weird for Nebraska if OU and Texas went to the BiG 10? I don't think they'd like that at all.

If and thats a big IF this possibly plays out in 25 I really see Texas headed to the P12. Texas - OU goes back to a yearly OOC game and we get our rivalry back with NU. Expansion has really screwed up some rivalries.

If Silverman ( head of BTN and expected head of new FXS ) is talking to Castiglione about a bridge relationship (2022-2025) to get to realignment that tells me we are definitely headed to the Big 10. Personally, I do not think it will hurt our Texas recruiting and it will infuse some much needed juice into our home schedule. Playing NU, Wisc., and Iowa regularly with crossover games with Mich., TOSU, and Penn. St. Beat the heck out of our current home menu.

If Silverman ( head of BTN and expected head of new FXS ) is talking to Castiglione about a bridge relationship (2022-2025) to get to realignment that tells me we are definitely headed to the Big 10. Personally, I do not think it will hurt our Texas recruiting and it will infuse some much needed juice into our home schedule. Playing NU, Wisc., and Iowa regularly with crossover games with Mich., TOSU, and Penn. St. Beat the heck out of our current home menu.
Most Texas boys like playing as many games as possible in their home state. OU joining the Big 10 would likely sway them elsewhere.
It would indeed bolster OU's strength of schedule.

TOSU had 2 Texas players in their starting backfield last year...Dobbins/LaGrange and Barrett/Wichita Falls. I dare say, out of the roughly 400 Texas H.S. graduates who receive football scholarships each year, there is a fairly high % who go out of state. The TE OB my grandson's high school team ( Ft. Bend Ridgepoint ) is headed to Michigan.

7 of the top 25 ranked Tx. H.S. players by 247 are committed out of state. 7 are uncommitted. 11 are committed in state. The #1 rated TX. recruit is committed to TOSU.

7 of the top 25 ranked Tx. H.S. players by 247 are committed out of state. 7 are uncommitted. 11 are committed in state. The #1 rated TX. recruit is committed to TOSU.

8 of the 15 2019 commitments are Texas kids. Maybe they all would still have committed to OU even if we were members of the Big Ten, but I doubt it. I don’t like Texas. I don’t like being tied to Texas. I hate to think we couldn’t still convince Texas footballers to come to Oklahoma if we weren’t in the B12. Maybe we could now days, but if we have a couple of unOklahoma like seasons it’s not likely we would be as attractive playing only one (UT) game a year in the Lone Star State. So, how important are Texas athletes to the Sooners long term? Somebody has to decide. I wouldn’t want that job. Just saying.

8 of the 15 2019 commitments are Texas kids. Maybe they all would still have committed to OU even if we were members of the Big Ten, but I doubt it. I don’t like Texas. I don’t like being tied to Texas. I hate to think we couldn’t still convince Texas footballers to come to Oklahoma if we weren’t in the B12. Maybe we could now days, but if we have a couple of unOklahoma like seasons it’s not likely we would be as attractive playing only one (UT) game a year in the Lone Star State. So, how important are Texas athletes to the Sooners long term? Somebody has to decide. I wouldn’t want that job. Just saying.
The history of Oklahoma's recruiting graphically indicates how vital recruiting in the state of Texas is. The dynasties under Wilkinson, Switzer and Stoops were fueled by Texas talent.
The Lone Star State is among the top three states in the country.....some say it's the very top....in producing high school football talent.
And OU sits right on top of this bed of talent, which exists in a state having a population 7 times the size of Oklahoma.
So why would OU want to risk its link to Texas talent by playing in a faraway conference ?

IF big time CFB survives soccer moms, participation trophies, etc it can certainly survive dramatic realignments and peeps watching on tiny little hand held devices when there are perfectly fine HD big screens everywhere

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Whatever OU does for conference realignments, a move to the Big 10 would be unwise because of its possible impact on recruiting in Texas.
My hope is to see two prominent teams added to the Big "not so 12". Teams like Cincinnati, Tulane, Tulsa, Colorado State, SMU, etc. should not be considered....but then, who ?
In a perfect world, Nebraska and ATM would be perfect. Thank you, UT.

Best for OU would be for the Big 12 to steal Arizona State and Arizona away from the PAC.

Ask any of the teams that left the Big 12 - 2 how they like their current situation/ new conference. Colorado, aTm, Misery and Nebraska have really been tearing it up since they left. How many of those teams have a Conference Title? (Division Titles dont count) How many have a Playoff Appearance? Heisman Winner?
Stay put OU and bring in 2 more schools, at least thats my opinion.

Comparing the former Big 12 schools to OU is fully. NU was in a steep decline long before they left. They have no specific relationship to the state of Texas. CU has been playing catchup since the '90's. Their facilities are 2nd rate and culturally they are a better fit in the Pac-12. Mizzou panicked...should have never left. A&M was more motivated by their hatred towards UT than anything. OU has so many ties to Texas it could be playing in Europe and it would still recruit the state successfully. The Metroplex might as well be in OK. It's an OU media market. Something like 20% of the student body is from Texas. The largest OU Club outside the state is in Houston. And then there's dinasour wine...the tie that binds. SWA connects every city in Texas to OKC. Why wouldn't a recruit from Texas want to play on national tv vs the likes of Penn St., Mich., Wisc., etc.? If we can recruit nationally as we are now there's no way we lose or base recruiting area in Texas.

There are currently 7 Texas players on the Buckeye roster; oh, and one kid named Proctor from Owasso. I simply can't imagine why any of these kids would choose to play in the far away, cold Big 10. OU is recruiting nationally and with a marginal home schedule. Think about where our recruiting opens up if we are seen playing Rutgers or Maryland or PSU on regional tv in the east. Think how Chicago opens up for us. We are already recruiting the D.C. area well. Florida sends dozens of kids a year to the Big 10. It's a no brainer.

While it's too early to project our starting 23 including the kicker vs FAU, Phil Steele projects it in the following breakdown: Tx.- 8, OK-1, KAN.-2, ILL-1, D.C.-1, CALIF.-4, LA.-2, ARK.-1, FLA.-2. If we can recruit 13 starters from outside the TX-OK area we can recruit anywhere

The fact that the #1 ranked TX. recruit is originally from Ohio makes my point. Texas has 27 million people and will have 40 million by 2040. People are moving in from all over the country. They have no allegiance to the Texas schools. Limited scholarships means that the close to 400 scholly eligible kids can't all go to UT or A&M.

Reactions: iasooner1
The history of Oklahoma's recruiting graphically indicates how vital recruiting in the state of Texas is. The dynasties under Wilkinson, Switzer and Stoops were fueled by Texas talent.
The Lone Star State is among the top three states in the country.....some say it's the very top....in producing high school football talent.
And OU sits right on top of this bed of talent, which exists in a state having a population 7 times the size of Oklahoma.
So why would OU want to risk its link to Texas talent by playing in a faraway conference ?

Easy answer.

Win. If OU moves to the Big 10 or any conference, they must win. It will be required. It will be an absoloute. If OU wins in the Big 10, they will be able to cherry pick Texas recruits and the kids will follow along all day. Winning the Big 10 Title is better than winning the current Big 12 Title. Like attracts like and winners will follow winners. They did in the Big 8 and they will in the Big 10.... if OU wins.

Now... if OU gets up there and loses, forget about it.

Wasn't there a thread a while back that broke down the money each school/conference made in 2017? I recall the B12 doing pretty well for having some relatively small TV markets, compared to the PAC12, B1G and SEC.

I'm not sure leaving the B12 is best for OU. I know a lot can happen between and 2025, but I'd prefer to see OU stay right where we are and dominate Texas recruiting (while expanding our footprint), own the B12 and make the playoffs and top tier bowls every year.

Easy answer.

Win. If OU moves to the Big 10 or any conference, they must win. It will be required. It will be an absoloute. If OU wins in the Big 10, they will be able to cherry pick Texas recruits and the kids will follow along all day. Winning the Big 10 Title is better than winning the current Big 12 Title. Like attracts like and winners will follow winners. They did in the Big 8 and they will in the Big 10.... if OU wins.

Agree 100%. It’s ALL about winning and the Big Ten champ trumps the B12 champ, IMO. If OU heads north it will be a challenge to keep up with our success in conference play that thousands of Sooner fans have come to expect. Ohio State, a non-conference Texas, and some years Penn State on the schedule with the likes of Michigan, Michigan State and yes even Nebraska will be much more difficult that what’s going on now in the Big 12. Selfishly I would prefer to go to the SEC if the Big 12 isn’t in the Sooner future long term. There’s not a team in the SEC that I wouldn’t like to get a chance to beat on a regular basis. I mean I could really get into hating schools like I’ve never done before. At my age that may be the icing on the cake of my life. But as I’ve posted, I want whatever is best for OU.

Easy answer.

Winning requires talent.
OU's "Mecca" for talent is the state of Texas.
It's common knowledge that under Stoops and now Riley, OU can "cherry pick" very well anywhere in the nation, but any long time follower of Oklahoma football knows that Texas talent is key to OU recruiting. With OU's brand popular among Texas high school boys, established by excellence and proximity, the recruiting boat doesn't need to be rocked.

Winning requires talent.
It's common knowledge that under Stoops and now Riley, OU can "cherry pick" very well anywhere in the nation, but any long time follower of Oklahoma football knows that Texas talent is key to OU recruiting. With OU's brand popular among Texas high school boys, established by excellence and proximity, the recruiting boat doesn't need to be rocked.

Going to the SEC wouldn’t affect our Texas connections. Just saying. :rolleyes:

Reactions: CTOkie
With all due respect, no one on this board is any more identifiable as a long term fan or for that matter a knowledgeable fan as yours truly. Clearly Texas is important but it's not as important as it once was. We are a national brand with staff who are experienced recruiters in many areas of the country. We have an incredible story and legacy to sell. The SEC would be fine with me if we were in a reconfigured west with Mizzou, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Ok. State and the 2 Miss. schools. Then play UT OOC like we used to.

With all due respect, no one on this board is any more identifiable as a long term fan or for that matter a knowledgeable fan as yours truly. Clearly Texas is important but it's not as important as it once was. We are a national brand with staff who are experienced recruiters in many areas of the country. We have an incredible story and legacy to sell. The SEC would be fine with me if we were in a reconfigured west with Mizzou, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Ok. State and the 2 Miss. schools. Then play UT OOC like we used to.
With UT far removed from its past relevance and ATM playing teams in Dixie, I believe recruiting in the state of Texas is at least as important as it's always been, but like you, I think it's great having OU with increased appeal nationwide to co-inside with Texas recruiting.

Winning requires talent.

The towers in NYC were standing the last time OU won a natty. We have NOT had the best success under Stoops getting top tier talent out of Texas. In fact, but for Stoops early years, OU took the scraps left over from Mack Brown. My point is we haven't won a Natty w/ the Texas talent you mention. For OU, winning a Big 12 Title should be the gold standard, a given, an absolute. This conference is weak and the home schedule shows it. Schoonerman is probably correct, if the money is the same, stay put and earn quality bowl games and better opportunities to reach the playoffs.

Last edited:
We towers in NYC were standing the last time OU won a natty. We have NOT had the best success under Stoops getting top tier talent out of Texas. In fact, but for Stoops early years, OU took the scraps left over from Mack Brown. My point is we haven't won a Natty w/ the Texas talent you mention. For OU, winning a Big 12 Title should be the gold standard, a given, an absolute. This conference is weak and the home schedule shows it. Schoonerman is probably correct, if the money is the same, stay put and earn quality bowl games and better opportunities to reach the playoffs.
True....OU hasn't recruited enough of the top Texas talent since 2000, but at the same time, Stoops is not a HOF coach without the talent from Texas he DID get.

Reactions: Soonerheart

This.

The days of Sat afternoon only football are over, gone. Today's CFB is 24/7 w/ cable TV and umpteen thousands of Sports shows, blogs, recruiting sites such as this one. OU does need to recruit Texas, I agree, but OU is a big enough & strong enough brand to walk into any HS Coaches office and immediately receive respect. Just win baby. Just win. Saban's Bama is a great example. Bama was a strong brand that was asleep at the wheel until Saban showed up. He recruits nationwide now.

No debate from me that OU is a national brand nationwide. It always has been since the Wilkinson days.
OU can recruit coast to coast....and even Canada....for talent. Stoops and Riley have opened that door wide. They have had to, in part, with ATM joining the SEC and opening up Texas recruiting more to SEC teams.
But I believe OU will always have a strong presence in Texas and can stay on the same level with recruiting there against teams from Dixie.
Bill Connors, the great sports writer from Tulsa who's in the Oklahoma Sports HOF, once said when referring to OU's recruiting, that high school boys in both Oklahoma and Texas know and appreciate what it means to play at OU more than anywhere else because they are on OU's recruiting turf. But with the social media we have these days and the saturation of CFB televised games at least three times per week, perhaps Connors' words are not as valid as they were 45-50 years ago. I happen to think they are, but maybe to a lesser degree.

ADVERTISEMENT