ADVERTISEMENT

Is holding the B12 together good for Soonerland?

12375CAT

Sooner starter
Feb 15, 2012
KU_zpstp4lvjug.png

Last edited:
I can think of 3 or 4 other conferences that might be better for "Soonerland".

Holding the Big 12 together is better for KSU than it is for the Sooners and Jayhawks. We'll be fine regardless of where we land. Even though I've given up on the Big 12, I have no choice and no power in the matter, so I'm waiting to see what happens just like everyone else. But it isn't looking promising at this point.

I would prefer we stay with the conference as I think it is better for the student athletes and the fans. Oklahoma is centrally located in the Big XII and most of the schools are within driving distance for games. I don't take in near as many away conference games as I used to, but it was pretty easy to get to most without lots of time and cost.

We move to any other power 5 conference and we automatically become the school with the most travel for conference games. If we go to the B1G travel to Iowa City and Lincoln will become the closest conference games. If we go to the SEC then Arkansas, A&M and LSU will be the closest conference games. Even with the PAC-12 it becomes Colorado and the two Arizona schools as the closest.

I just think the travel is a huge burden on the school travel budget and the student athletes, let alone the fans. I'm not sure a few extra $$$$$s are worth all of that.

On the flip side, the Big XII has few choices of schools to add to the conference. BYU is the only one out there that brings $$$s to the table. I hate to see another Texas school added as I don't think they add much of anything to the conference. Adding Houston would only benefit Houston.

All things considered, I just don't think that OU being in the SEC, Pac-12 or B1G is good for OU. I think I would rather the current 10 schools plus BYU, CSU, Cincy and one of the Florida schools and get to 14 as OU being part of one of the other Power 5 conferences.

I think being a member of the B1G would destroy our recruiting in Texas. It's already pretty weak with all the new and old Texas members. Nobody wants to play in Wisconsin or Michigan in the winter.

I would prefer we stay with the conference as I think it is better for the student athletes and the fans. Oklahoma is centrally located in the Big XII and most of the schools are within driving distance for games. I don't take in near as many away conference games as I used to, but it was pretty easy to get to most without lots of time and cost.

We move to any other power 5 conference and we automatically become the school with the most travel for conference games. If we go to the B1G travel to Iowa City and Lincoln will become the closest conference games. If we go to the SEC then Arkansas, A&M and LSU will be the closest conference games. Even with the PAC-12 it becomes Colorado and the two Arizona schools as the closest.

I just think the travel is a huge burden on the school travel budget and the student athletes, let alone the fans. I'm not sure a few extra $$$$$s are worth all of that.

On the flip side, the Big XII has few choices of schools to add to the conference. BYU is the only one out there that brings $$$s to the table. I hate to see another Texas school added as I don't think they add much of anything to the conference. Adding Houston would only benefit Houston.

All things considered, I just don't think that OU being in the SEC, Pac-12 or B1G is good for OU. I think I would rather the current 10 schools plus BYU, CSU, Cincy and one of the Florida schools and get to 14 as OU being part of one of the other Power 5 conferences.

I think you are forgetting about Divisions. OU would not go to the PAC alone. If they did go probably several Big12teams would go with them. So Colorado would not be the closest.

If OU went to the Big10 it would be most likely wiith Kansas, so they would be closest trip. Probably be in a Division with Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, maybe even Missouri, Northwestern, Illinois. Not bad travel at all

I think being a member of the B1G would destroy our recruiting in Texas. It's already pretty weak with all the new and old Texas members. Nobody wants to play in Wisconsin or Michigan in the winter.

Remenber OU's best recruiting days in Texas were when they were in the Big8 and Texas was the only Texas team played...... non-conference.

They would likely be in a diffeent division thanMichigan and would only play there once every 6-8 years and that would likely be in October or early November. Never in the winter.

You do realize the ave temp in Mich during football season is as good as or better than Ne and we sure have a hell of a lot less ice storms..

I think you are forgetting about Divisions. OU would not go to the PAC alone. If they did go probably several Big12teams would go with them. So Colorado would not be the closest.

If OU went to the Big10 it would be most likely wiith Kansas, so they would be closest trip. Probably be in a Division with Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, maybe even Missouri, Northwestern, Illinois. Not bad travel at all

I wasn't forgetting anything. You are assuming that other conference teams would go with OU. That isn't a given.

n the
I wasn't forgetting anything. You are assuming that other conference teams would go with OU. That isn't a given.

Likewise, you are assuming no conference teams go with them. All logic and previous reports and discussions regarding OU to the PAC have included other conference teams. The PAC is not going to expand by one and stop at 13. And if OU goes to the Big10 they will be in a division with Nebraska, Iowa etc. regardles and all discussions and reports indicate if they go they will go with KU. Again the Big is not going to invite OU and stop at 15. For one thing they have repeatedly said they want contigious expansion and if OU goes that means Kansas is a must.

If OU goes to the SEC they will be playing Arkansas, A&M, LSU etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: American Male
Personally, if it worked for Oklahoma, I'd love to see them in the Big 10, Not excited about KU but realize it might be part of a pkg deal. The AAU and Ne showed it could be dodged but it req a lot of money. I'm wondering if KU and its bb heritage is worth enough, they might be a handicap, Ok, alone is a lot like Ne and alone, could make it but again, not w company that's available, in my opinion.

The best possible conference situation for OU would be if OU moved with KU, Texas and Missouri and rejoined Nebraska in the B1G. The money and exposure would be outstanding. The CIC would help OU’s academics… We would be associating ourselves with some of the best flagship university’s in the USA.

OU’s path to a football national title would remain open and we would be playing in the best basketball conference.

No matter what conference we are playing in, it’s still going to take a great football coach to get the results we want and to adapt to our circumstances.

Reactions: Section22Sooner

No to BYU and CSU ECU ,Cinci, and theh 2 Florida schools would be much better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT