ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting 1st round stats in the NFL draft

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
The SEC set a record with 15 players in the first round. But a huge percentage of the came from the SEC West. LSU had 5. Bama had 4. Auburn had 2. The East had fewer picks than the Big XII or Big 10. Georgia had 2. Florida and South Carolina had 1. So while the SEC had 14 first rounders, 12 teams totaled six picks. Bama and LSU totaled 9.

The Big XII had five and the Big Ten had five. But the big difference was that Ohio State had the 2nd, 3rd and 19th picks. The first player from the Big XII was CeeDee Lamb at 17, which was lower than expected. Kenneth Murray went 23 to the Chargers, who gave up their 2nd round and 3rd round picks to move up to 23rd for Murray.

Other Big XII schools to have a first rounder were TCU with 2 picks, and Texas Tech had one. Again UT had no first round picks. The other picks in the Big Ten were Michigan and Iowa with one each.

The Pac 12 had only three first rounders, one each for Oregon, USC and Arizona State. The ACC had three of the top 32. Clemson had two. Louisville had the other.

There was one first rounder who was not from a P5 conference. Utah State's quarterback Jordan Love went 26th to the Packers, who traded up to get Love. Of note, Aaron Rodgers is the same age this year, that Brett Favre was when the Packers took Rodgers as a late first rounder 15 years ago.

The second day starts an hour earlier Friday night.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
The SEC gets preferential treatment by the media, but in my view that treatment/recognition is clearly earned when considering the national championships the SEC has won since 2003 (eleven) and the number of elite players it sends to the NFL each year.
Personally, I see teams in the SEC that generally are more physical more fun to watch.
I don't believe it has much to do with "east coast bias". That says to me the there's jealousy and I do not believe things will change with the southeast and Texas being such a recruiting gold mine for teams in that region....and throw in Clemson from the ACC that benefits as well.
I think Oklahoma can keep winning 10 games or more every year with its resources and brand name, but for the Sooners to reach the level of SEC's "royal family", some very good recruiting from coast to coast must get even better and it would help if the state of Oklahoma could produce a few more D-1 studs from instate high schools, as Plaino has mentioned several times. Players like Bradford, McCoy, Smith, Broyles, Shepard, Calmus, Grisham seem to be a thing of the past. (I do regard freshman OL Andrew Raym in the 2020 class to be about that level. He looks to replace Humphrey at center in 2021).

This is a personal note, but a little weird, a little wonderful.

My girlfriend, soon to be fiancee, is a big Cowboy fan. We watched round one at my house. I drove her home, leaving before the Cowboys made their first pic. Turned on the Dallas radio broadcast of the draft on ESPN Dallas, 103.3. As we pulled up to her house in Richardson the 'Boys were about to announce their pick. The radio guys were predicting that it would either be CeeDee or the edge guy from LSU, Chaisson.

She's not been a Sooner fan before we met. But we went to both Baylor games this season, and she loves CeeDee. I told her I figured two to four years before she became a Sooner fan. When we came from behind in Waco, I told her that might be cut in half. She was really excited when we left McLain Stadium.

When we arrived at her house last night, and the Cowboys' pick was announced as CeeDee, she was absolutely giddy. Let me know that my next gift to her was to be a CeeDee Cowboys' jersey.

Then tonight, we were supposed to be at her house, but she told me she wanted to watch the draft. So we drove back to my house and watched til past 9:30 which is past her get ready for bed time. So we watched the Cowboys' 2nd pick, but not yet their third. We drove over to her house, and they were saying on the radio that the Cowboys needed a DL, and Neville Gallimore was at the top of their list. So as we drove up to her house, I had to wait 20 seconds to turn my car off, but for the second straight night, as we arrived at her house, her team the Cowboys, picked a player from my team.

The guys on tonight's broadcast, this time The Ticket, said that Gallimore ran the third fastest 40 ever for a 300-pounder at the NFL Combine. I guess that information was out there, but I hadn't heard it.

The Cowboys over the years, seemed to avoid good Sooner players for the most part. They did take DeMarco Murray, who was as good a third rounder as they ever had. And the took Charles Tapper, who didn't work out. But the last two nights, two of the three Cowboy picks were Sooners. Maybe it's McCarthy's influence.

It's a huge plus having a wife or girlfriend who likes sports, even if she has teams that you dislike as her favorites.....like the Red Sox and the Patriots.
I met my wife on September 7th 1980 when she came over to my apartment in Houston with my best friend and his girlfriend. As the game progressed, she pointed out that the Oilers did not have the speed in the secondary to cover the Steelers' great receivers (I started to get very aroused). Despite Earl Campbell's touchdown pass, Pittsburgh won 31-17.....she also rooted for Pittsburgh as her dad was from Pittsburgh and was a Steelers fan.
I can not imagine living with a woman who isn't into football and baseball.

Evidently, the Hallmark Channel is a frequent "guest" at your house.

If you only knew, but not on my TV. :cool: Ironic, as I work for the other big greeting card company. After 35 years of making tires all over the world, I bit when they recruited me 4 years ago. Best move I ever made.

Now get your spy-cam out of my house! :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT