ADVERTISEMENT

I'll tell you why we want Alabama to beat Auburn & then beat Georgia & Miami to beat Clemson

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
Alabama winning the SEC beating Auburn knocks out both Auburn with 3 losses & Georgia with 2 losses. So therefore the SEC will only have one team Alabama in the final four.
This is the best result for OU and I will show you why. The big question mark is if Alabama loses to Auburn would the committee still pick a one loss Alabama to be in the Final 4 along with the SEC champ Auburn or Georgia?.

Miami beating Clemson in the ACC tournament will knock out Clemson with 2 losses from the final 4. If Clemson beats Miami could both teams make the final four. Both teams would only have one loss.

When Wisconsin in the Big 10 finals plays Ohio State and wins Ohio State with 3 losses is eliminated. If Wisconsin wins they stay undefeated.

If Ohio State beats Wisconsin the big question mark is will then the Big 10 have 2 teams in the final four a 2 loss Ohio State team as Big 10 Champ and a one loss Wisconsin team. Wisconsin with a loss in the Big 10 finals would probably be eliminated with their weak season schedule.
We want Ohio State to win.

If the ACC ends up with two teams in the Final 4 Miami and Clemson SEC champ Alabama and Big 12 Champ Oklahoma could be also in final four.

The Biggest risk to OU is if Alabama loses to Auburn and then Auburn beats Georgia could the committee then put a one loss Alabama in the final four along with SEC champion Auburn or Georgia giving the SEC two places in the final four then it could be a tight fit for 12-1 OU to be included especially if both Wisconsin and Miami remain undefeated.

So the best thing for 12-1 OU is Alabama to win the SEC and Miami to beat Clemson to win the ACC so the SEC and the ACC would not have 2 teams in the Final four. If Alabama and Miami both win their conferences OU is a cinch as a one loss Big 12 champ to be in final 4.

If Alabama wins out & if Clemson beats Miami we could still be in the final four along with Miami & Clemson and Alabama if Wisconsin loses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senior Sooner
Alabama winning the SEC beating Auburn knocks out both Auburn with 3 losses & Georgia with 2 losses. So therefore the SEC will only have one team Alabama in the final four.
This is the best result for OU and I will show you why. The big question mark is if Alabama loses to Auburn would the committee still pick a one loss Alabama to be in the Final 4 along with the SEC champ Auburn or Georgia?.

Miami beating Clemson in the ACC tournament will knock out Clemson with 2 losses from the final 4. If Clemson beats Miami could both teams make the final four. Both teams would only have one loss.

When Wisconsin in the Big 10 finals plays Ohio State and wins Ohio State with 3 losses is eliminated. If Wisconsin wins they stay undefeated.

If Ohio State beats Wisconsin the big question mark is will then the Big 10 have 2 teams in the final four a 2 loss Ohio State team as Big 10 Champ and a one loss Wisconsin team. Wisconsin with a loss in the Big 10 finals would probably be eliminated with their weak season schedule.

If the ACC ends up with two teams in the Final 4 Miami and Clemson SEC champ Alabama and Big 12 Champ Oklahoma could be also in final four.

The Biggest risk to OU is if Alabama loses to Auburn and then Auburn beats Georgia could the committee then put a one loss Alabama in the final four along with SEC champion Auburn or Georgia giving the SEC two places in the final four then it could be a tight fit for 12-1 OU to be included especially if both Wisconsin and Miami remain undefeated.

So the best thing for 12-1 OU is Alabama to win the SEC and Miami to beat Clemson to win the ACC so the SEC and the ACC would not have 2 teams in the Final four. If Alabama and Miami both win their conferences OU is a cinch as a one loss Big 12 champ to be in final 4.

If Alabama wins out & if Clemson beats Miami we could still be in the final four along with Miami & Clemson and Alabama if Wisconsin loses.

You had me at 'Hello' ;)

Thanks for all of the work you put in this, Bull...

Well, I guess I will have to root for Bama versus Auburn. OKAY. :rolleyes: Roll Tide......but I still believe Alabama will lose a game this year.

Reactions: iasooner1
No. We win we are in. Too much thought put into your post

Actually its very well thought out by Bull. Alabama losing to either Auburn this week or in the SEC CG is going to be a serious threat to that 4th slot.

Now with that being said this whole playoff chaos could really be turned upside down this weekend if South Carolina upsets Clemson, Auburn beats Bama and if Pitt somehow upsets Miami. If all that happens then yes OU winning out would be guaranteed to be in.

However dont kid yourself and think this committee is going to leave out a 1 loss Saben team. Someone will be sacrificed for them.

Bama has 2-3 of those injured players returning to practice this week. They may not play this weekend but will be ready to play in a bowl game. The committee would not keep a 1 loss bama team out, when all starters are healthy IMHO. I would like to see Bama, Miami, Wisconsin, and OU. You would have the best offense in the country against 3 of the best defenses. Plus all 3 of those teams are more of a run team. OU is better against the run than the pass.

What if Miami loses to Pitt? If that happens, OU will be almost a 100% sure thing for the playoffs, if the Sooners can win the next two games.

The Miami-Pitt score right now is Pitt 17 Miami 7, with 16:47 left in the game.

What if Miami loses to Pitt? If that happens, OU will be almost a 100% sure thing for the playoffs, if the Sooners can win the next two games.

The Miami-Pitt score right now is Pitt 17 Miami 7, with 16:47 left in the game.

All most. With Miami losing no longer will the ACC have a chance to have 2 teams in Final 4.
If Miami had remained undefeated and if Clemson beats them There could have been 2 highly ranked ACC teams with only one loss picked in Final 4.

We still have to sweat the SEC. If Bama loses possibly the SEC winner Georgia of Auburn will be in the final four along with 1 loss Bama also in final four.

If one loss Bama & say either Georgia or Auburn are the SEC champ, and ACC champ Clemson are in the final 4 and undefeated Wisconsin beats Oh State
who would the committee pick OU or undefeated Wisconsin?

We need Alabama to beat Auburn & Georgia.

I'll say it again lol. Win and we are in

That is what we all want but there are still probably what -ifs.
What if #1 Bama loses will the committee pick a 12-1 Bama in final 4?
What if Wisconsin beats Ohio State?

If 12-1 Bama is in along with SEC champ Auburn or Georgia & the ACC champ
and Wisconsin beats Oh St.
Who will the committee pick 12-1 OU or undefeated Wisconsin to join Alabama & the SEC Champ and the ACC Champ?

Who will the committee pick 12-1 OU or undefeated Wisconsin to join Alabama & the SEC Champ and the ACC Champ?

Clemson still has to get by #24 South Carolina, huge rivalry game, no easy feat.

A Clemson loss to South Carolina and then a Miami win over Clemson in ACC CG and Miami has only one loss, they would not be out more than likely.
Auburn runs the table as does Wisconsin and OU and those 3 are in. That leaves one spot. Who gets in then? Miami? Bama? How would you pick Bama, a one loss team that did not win its Conference over a one loss Miami ACC Champ? Season is almost over and a lot of scenarios can still play out. It could get real messy for the CFP Comm before its all done.

Bama isn't going to be in if they lose tomorrow. Would they be one of the 4 best teams? Sure but it would be too much to recover from.

They are ranked #1 most of the season. They have been a dominate team in the last 7 years
If they lose to Auburn they still would be 12-1.The Committee could easily move them to #4 from #1 and therefore they're still in final 4

THEREFORE I am rooting for Bama to beat Auburn and then beat Georgia which eliminates any other SEC team. .

That's the thing, they wouldn't be #4. Auburn or UGA? Auburn is in if they win sec championship. UGA? Maybe. Bama? Out. If OU wins out they are in so all this doesn't matter. My picks? OU, Auburn, Clemson and Ohio State.

According to Nate Silver's 538.com site, the Sooners, with two more wins, already had greater than a 99% chance to make the playoff. I've already checked, and that chance was unchanged by Miami's loss.

That 12-1 Bama infers a Tide win over Auburn, the only path to 12-1 before playoff selection.

How about 11-1 Bama? I'll be surprised if they win at Auburn. Then they're a team that doesn't have a title, and with a recent loss ending their supremacy. That may be a more iffy thing. Sitting home on week 14 can't help.

Guys, the whole playoff system is a joke. The system should be all conference winners plus any remaining highest ranked teams that did not win their conference to finish out the selections. Why is this so hard for the NCAA to do?

Not only does this put more money in people's pockets (networks, NCAA, schools, etc...), but it provides more games for players. How many times do we see college players who play in the NFL hit a wall their first year in the league because they're not used to playing as many games? It's a win-win for everyone and gives some players get national exposure who might not have previously (smaller schools), helping their cause to get drafted.

Guys, the whole playoff system is a joke. The system should be all conference winners plus any remaining highest ranked teams that did not win their conference to finish out the selections. Why is this so hard for the NCAA to do?

The powers that be don't want to go to 8 and in fact I doubt they even wanted to go to 4. With that being said I think a good majority of college fans are tired of the "human element" when it comes to selecting those teams. Most fans understand that FBS has never really had a true playoff system and quite honestly its time that FBS does. Some will argue that we have one now but until all Power 5 conference champs are included and one that also opens the door for a G5 school to be given an opporutinity ( think Utah, TCU, Boise in the past and UCF this year) then it still is nothing more than a opinionated playoff.

It really is time this day and age to remove the human element from any of this in my opinion.

There is no griping, the teams will be selected by accurate measures.

If the playoffs started today, here is how a 16-team system would look. I don't include Independents, they will have to move into an actual conference.

AAC (winner) - UCF
ACC (winner) - Clemson
Big 12 (winner) - OU
Big 10 (winner) - Ohio State
Conf USA (winner) - Florida Atlantic
Mid-American (winner) - Toledo
Mountain (winner) - Boise State
Pac 12 (winner) - USC
SEC (winner) - Bama
Sun Belt (winner) - Troy

Invitees based on highest rankings not winning their conference - Wisonsin, Auburn, Georgia, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State

Tell me that wouldn't be awesome? I don't know how the seeding would work, but I would love to see these teams fight for the national championship.

This took just minutes to gather. No committee really needed except for seeding. Conference winners are automatic bids and then you just go down the list of rankings and select the remaining teams in order until you get 16. EASY!!!

I guess you could give the top teams a bye week like the NFL does, this would also keep from pitting teams like Florida Atlantic against teams like Alabama in the 1st round, but I wouldn't have any issues if they made all the teams play a 1st round either. :)

Last edited:
There is no griping, the teams will be selected by accurate measures.

If the playoffs started today, here is how a 16-team system would look. I don't include Independents, they will have to move into an actual conference.

AAC (winner) - UCF
ACC (winner) - Clemson
Big 12 (winner) - OU
Big 10 (winner) - Ohio State
Conf USA (winner) - Florida Atlantic
Mid-American (winner) - Toledo
Mountain (winner) - Boise State
Pac 12 (winner) - USC
SEC (winner) - Bama
Sun Belt (winner) - Troy

Invitees based on highest rankings not winning their conference - Wisonsin, Auburn, Georgia, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State

Tell me that wouldn't be awesome? I don't know how the seeding would work, but I would love to see these teams fight for the national championship.

This took just minutes to gather. No committee really needed except for seeding. Conference winners are automatic bids and then you just go down the list of rankings and select the remaining teams in order until you get 16. EASY!!!

I guess you could give the top teams a bye week like the NFL does, this would also keep from pitting teams like Florida Atlantic against teams like Alabama in the 1st round, but I wouldn't have any issues if they made all the teams play a 1st round either. :)

Your not going to change the minds of people who think the 4 teams process is great like the poster above. They are stuck in the mud so to speak.

No more than 4 teams deserve a shot. Having Troy? Toledo? Heck let's just put Tulsa Union in there as well. No matter the format people are gonna gripe and this new one is no different

So teams that have a great season shouldn't be rewarded? I remember App. State beating Michigan at their house. It happens. If cinderella teams can happen in basketball, it can happen in football.

Football is not basketball. In basketball you can have 30 games and then playoffs begin. In football you have 12, and many think that's too many games anyway. Having endless playoffs brings the prospect of teams playing 16-17 games in one season.

College athletes receive no pay for their participation. That's why they are what they are: student-athletes. People like Prentice Gautt. Or Lee Roy Selmon, or countless others. They are there for an education, and athletic scholarships help with that goal.

I'm tired of people wanting college ball to be more like the pro game. A small portion of college footbally players become pros, but that isn't even a dream for many if not most of those.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT