ADVERTISEMENT

If we were Texas

barkingwater2000

Sooner starter
Jan 12, 2012
When Bob eventually leaves we are going to be in the same boat. Personally, I can't see us stooping to the level where we can barely win any games for a couple of years. Do you think we are going to struggle and suffer the same eventual fate? That would be devastating to have to endure the 90's again.

Reactions: BillyRay
When Bob eventually leaves we are going to be in the same boat. Personally, I can't see us stooping to the level where we can barely win any games for a couple of years. Do you think we are going to struggle and suffer the same eventual fate? That would be devastating to have to endure the 90's again.
No, we will be fine, people love OU, and hate Texas. Never seen such a top team go into the toilet.

It all depends on who OU gets to replace Bob when he is finally ready to hang it up. Teams like Ohio State and Florida State made good hires to keep things rolling. Though FSU did take a step back a bit for a few years until they could reload and get back to the elite level. LSU made a pretty solid hire with Les Miles after Saban left for the NFL. But more often than not, programs do take a hit when replacing a great head coach.

Stoops will be a hard act to follow which is a bit of an understatement. But I think OU will get a solid replacement when he does leave....and he may be on the staff right now.
The lessons learned from the Blake and Schnellenberger mistakes will not be repeated. I believe Stoops will privately give OU advanced notice before he leaves unless the NFL makes him an offer he can't refuse, something I don't see happening.

Stoops will be a hard act to follow which is a bit of an understatement. But I think OU will get a solid replacement when he does leave....and he may be on the staff right now.

That's definitely possible. But if Bob were to hang it up in the next handful of years, I am thinking a hot target for OU would be Justin Fuente if JoeC went outside the current staff.

I'd like to see Cale Gundy get a shot at the head coach position. Lincoln Riley is also winning me over

Riley will end up a damn solid head coach some place. No doubt about it. Every time I hear the guy talk it's just impressive how well he carries himself and how intelligent and sharp he is.

And I have always wondered about Cale. I'm sure he has gotten coordinator job offers or offers to promote up in other programs over the years. I always assumed he just loves being at OU and coaching at his alma mater. He is pulling down some nice money so its not like he is missing out on money. I suspect he would take the happiness of being at OU over more money at other places. Or maybe he is waiting in the wings to take over the program after Bob leaves and for all we know they could have even discussed it...

BR - I' m no smarter than anyone here and not as smart as most, but I would venture a guess that if CG has had discussions about being the next HC, he would likely be the offensive coordinator right now.

As for how successful the next hire will be, look no further than the Athletic Director's position. If Joe C or someone just as capable is in that position, the hire will be right.
If the AD is not up to Joe C's standards, then maybe we end up with a Charlie Strong or another John Blake.

Depends on the quality of our AD. If it's Joe C he has a pretty excellent track record of hiring head coaches. I know it's über early but I could see Lincoln developing into that guy in another 4-6 years based on the incredible trajectory of his career.

First, allow me to pretend that Coach Bob Stoops will be at OU forever! Happy!!!!
Now for the real world - Riley is young enough that he might still be available on staff when the Great One retires, and that might work out great. Fuentes seems like he would be a solid choice, when that time might come.
One thing - PLEASE - no head-coach-in-waiting garbage!!!!

I believe OU will be very proactive on Stoops' successor, as well as thorough. The longer Stoops stays, the more OU will prepare and plan for hiring a new coach. OU has come too far with its facilities and other resources to pull another Schnellenberger-Blake stunt. I also believe that OU has looked at the problems other schools have had in replacing great coaches and has learned what NOT to do in selecting a new coach.
My bet is on either of two scenarios: hire Cale Gundy if he's still around, or hire a hot shot assistant off of a successful program....as it did with Stoops and MacKenzie.

Personally, I would love to see Brent V. Back in Norman as the head man if Bob Stoops ever leaves.

BR - I' m no smarter than anyone here and not as smart as most, but I would venture a guess that if CG has had discussions about being the next HC, he would likely be the offensive coordinator right now.

I dunno about that. Bob didn't make Cale the OC, but he did promote him to assistant head coach this past year I thought. I think Bob was dead set on getting some new blood in the program and someone with an Air Raid mentality with his OC hire so I doubt Cale had a legit shot at that job. Assistant Head Coach could very well be the new "coach in waiting" title...lol ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT