ADVERTISEMENT

I still don't understand the NFL Playoff overtime rules.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
Vinovich is likely the league's best referee. But he did a crappy job of explaining IT rules. I still don't understand if the 49ers would have ended the game with a touchdown.

I know playoff rules are different. But is that different?

OT rules in the playoffs are different in this respect:

Each team gets a possession regardless if the first team possessing the ball scores a TD or not. The only thing which would keep the second team from possessing the ball at least once is a defensive score (INT/fumble /kick return returned for TD or safety where team 2 is now ahead thus winning the game)

Yeah, I finally got an explanation on one of the sports networks this morning after watching for two hours. Then they started talking about whether the 49ers should have kicked.

It was very interesting to hear that the Chiefs players were drilled to a long, almost boring level on the what ifs about the new playoff overtime rules. Then Mahomes said that in the OT, he understood the importance of understanding.. It made them feel more comfortable.

On the other side, several 49er players said they didn't know what the rules were and how they differed from the regular season. Quite a contrast.

Bring back Sudden Death. And what the fvck is a "football move?". Saw it several years ago called on Dez against the packers in the playoffs that the cowboys probably shoulda won. Phenomenal athletic ability by Dez. God dammit, you have the holding penalty which can be called on 90% of plays already!

I always find it funny reading the comments on Facebook about games being rigged. Have things happened over the years that were sketchy? Sure but its rare considering how many games are played. Basically it’s ignorant to make that accusation

Reactions: Oklabama
I always find it funny reading the comments on Facebook about games being rigged. Have things happened over the years that were sketchy? Sure but its rare considering how many games are played. Basically it’s ignorant to make that accusation
Apparent yer not an owner in any kinda way Larry. Good luck.

Bring back Sudden Death. And what the fvck is a "football move?". Saw it several years ago called on Dez against the packers in the playoffs that the cowboys probably shoulda won. Phenomenal athletic ability by Dez. God dammit, you have the holding penalty which can be called on 90% of plays already!
Taking two steps with firm control of the ball ?

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I loved the new overtime rule. In the past, the team that won the toss had a huge advantage, purely based on luck. Now, they're still talking about the advantage of NOT receiving the kickoff in OT. That's the way it should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT