ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers tucking tail?

As a Husker fan, I'm very disappointed in this decision. Regardless of the excuses our AD comes up with, I think it's obvious that Nebraska is chickening out. Frost needs to make a bowl game next season to try to stay off the hot seat, so he needs to win as many games as possible. Next year, Nebraska has one of the toughest schedules in the country. Nebraska should always be willing to play the best competition possible. Now with that said, flashback to the mid 1990's, and the formation of the Big 12. Nebraska wanted to continue the annual rivalry with Oklahoma in the worst way, but OU being down, wanted no part of Nebraska, and so the rivalry ended.

I'm severely disappointed, but I guess we're even.

I have told the Hawkeye folks over the last 40 years you have to play the best to earn respect. They and the rest of the sorry b1g keep playing those Mac non-cons yearly

Reactions: runningback43
Trying to schedule the sisters of the mary? Huskers done sunk low, really low. How the once mighty have fallen. Dang shame. But heck, Bama does it.

Last edited:
Trying to schedule the sisters of the mary? Huskers done sunk low, really low. How the once mighty have fallen. Dang shame. But heck, Bama does it.
Bama does do it, but they also have 1 good OOC on their slate every year. The thing that people bag on them about is that the SEC only plays 8 games (smart if they’re not going to be called on it, that’s 7 automatic losses that aren’t spread among their teams), but to Saban’s credit, he has long campaigned to go to 9 conference games; he just keeps getting outvoted on it.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Bama does do it, but they also have 1 good OOC on their slate every year. The thing that people bag on them about is that the SEC only plays 8 games (smart if they’re not going to be called on it, that’s 7 automatic losses that aren’t spread among their teams), but to Saban’s credit, he has long campaigned to go to 9 conference games; he just keeps getting outvoted on it.

Look back at bama's schedules year for year. They schedule at least 2 to 3 lighthouse for the blind schools. Don't get me wrong, they are good and win on the biggest stage when it matters, but when you get rid of the bcs and sagarin formula for strength of schedule and then implement morons for the committee to decide, well, think about it. The perfect storm. Just try to think about it. 😁

Last edited:
[QUOTE="HVHusker, post: 3510959, member: 1036 Nebraska wanted to continue the annual rivalry with Oklahoma in the worst way, but OU being down, wanted no part of Nebraska, and so the rivalry ended.

[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate brother?

I extended an invitation to Forrest Valora to attend this game. I hope it goes forward as planned.
Dang, the world's gotten so much smaller these days. Thanks brother. I barely had fuzz on my peaches when Forrest was bringin it. I appreciate it. Stirrin up memories.

Dang, the world's gotten so much smaller these days. Thanks brother. I barely had fuzz on my peaches when Forrest was bringin it. I appreciate it. Stirrin up memories.
1981 was my first Orange Bowl. Forrest was instrumental in our win over Florida State. JC Watts & David Overstreet....those were some balling Sooners. Forrest was a very good blocking TE.

Last edited:
1981 was my first Orange Bowl. Forrest was instrumental in our win over Florida State. JC Watts & David Overstreet....those were some balling Sooners. Forrest was a very good blocking TE.
Good days, Watts, Wilson, Overstreet, Rhymes, Ledbetter, Forrest, Crouch, Blake, Gary......yep, Barry had em ballin' If you don't mind brother, can you pass along to Forrest that Woody shouted "BOOMER". If you don't mind. 😁

Last edited:
Look back at bama's schedules year for year. They schedule at least 2 to 3 lighthouse for the blind schools. Don't get me wrong, they are good and win on the biggest stage when it matters, but when you get rid of the bcs and sagarin formula for strength of schedule and then implement morons for the committee to decide, well, think about it. The perfect storm. Just try to think about it. 😁
Bama's schedules are different from ours in 2 ways: 1. As I already mentioned, they have that extra OOC game that Saban has long tried to get to become a conference game & keeps getting shot down (& yes, Bama does use that game for a creampuff, but to be fair to them, so does the rest of the SEC, so there's no reason to deliberately make your own slate more difficult than the rest of the league if the other 13 schools are going to use it on Bo Diddley Tech) & 2. Their big OOC games have been of the 1 off, neutral site variety, but they're quitting that after their game with Miami in Atlanta this year:

Bama's schedules are different from ours in 2 ways: 1. As I already mentioned, they have that extra OOC game that Saban has long tried to get to become a conference game & keeps getting shot down (& yes, Bama does use that game for a creampuff, but to be fair to them, so does the rest of the SEC, so there's no reason to deliberately make your own slate more difficult than the rest of the league if the other 13 schools are going to use it on Bo Diddley Tech) & 2. Their big OOC games have been of the 1 off, neutral site variety, but they're quitting that after their game with Miami in Atlanta this year:

I completely understand your point, now, look back at bama's schedules for the past 10 years, look closely. 😁

[QUOTE="HVHusker, post: 3510959, member: 1036 Nebraska wanted to continue the annual rivalry with Oklahoma in the worst way, but OU being down, wanted no part of Nebraska, and so the rivalry ended.

[/QUOTE]
Nebraska asked the Big 12, during the formation of the league, if there would be an agreement to keep the annual NU/OU rivalry in place. OU's AD said that he wasn't agreeing to play Nebraska every year if Texas only had to play Nebraska 2 out of every 4 years. At the time OU's football program was bad and Nebraska was on the best run in college football.

Meanwhile the Sooners were going to be in the far tougher division of the conference. Sooners had to go through Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State in their own division every year. Sooners started rolling again in 2000 and the Cornstinkers started their down swing about the same time. Now they stink so bad that they wanted to drop us and add a creampuff. I think the AD and Head Coach were trying to save their jobs by trying to replace the Sooners.

Meanwhile the Sooners were going to be in the far tougher division of the conference. Sooners had to go through Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State in their own division every year. Sooners started rolling again in 2000 and the Cornstinkers started their down swing about the same time. Now they stink so bad that they wanted to drop us and add a creampuff. I think the AD and Head Coach were trying to save their jobs by trying to replace the Sooners.
Except when the conference was formed Nebraska, Colorado, and K State were the best teams, and the south division basically sucked. No doubt OU was dodging NU just like NU is now trying to dodge OU. What comes around goes around.

Cornstinkers? Really? Okay Okie if that's the best you got.

Except when the conference was formed Nebraska, Colorado, and K State were the best teams, and the south division basically sucked. No doubt OU was dodging NU just like NU is now trying to dodge OU. What comes around goes around.

Cornstinkers? Really? Okay Okie if that's the best you got.
I guess the reason you lost to Texass in the first Big XII Championship game is because they sucked. If the south sucked so bad, why did you lose?

Cornstinkers, Cornsuckers, Black Skirt defense, Pink Shirt defense, Nebby, and Debby. If you don't like those how about Cornlosers. Face it your program is in the crapper and it will probably never get out of the crapper as long as people like you keep drinking the Kool-Aid from north stadium. At least you still have your sell out streak. Of course if it hadn't been for a few corporations buying up a bunch of tickets that were unsold, the streak would have ended 20 years ago.

I guess the reason you lost to Texass in the first Big XII Championship game is because they sucked. If the south sucked so bad, why did you lose?

Cornstinkers, Cornsuckers, Black Skirt defense, Pink Shirt defense, Nebby, and Debby. If you don't like those how about Cornlosers. Face it your program is in the crapper and it will probably never get out of the crapper as long as people like you keep drinking the Kool-Aid from north stadium. At least you still have your sell out streak. Of course if it hadn't been for a few corporations buying up a bunch of tickets that were unsold, the streak would have ended 20 years ago.
I'll tell you what, how successful would OU be if the state population dropped to 1.7 million and your surrounding states that were you closest recruiting territory was South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, and Wyoming. Nebraska is struggling now, but what they've accomplished over the years, in spite of all of the built in obstacles, is freaking amazing. OU is DAMN lucky to share a border with Texas.

I'll tell you what, how successful would OU be if the state population dropped to 1.7 million and your surrounding states that were you closest recruiting territory was South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, and Wyoming. Nebraska is struggling now, but what they've accomplished over the years, in spite of all of the built in obstacles, is freaking amazing. OU is DAMN lucky to share a border with Texas.
I didn’t realize the borders had changed in Nebraska since 1999. Which is also the last year you won a conference championship. BTW I live in northeast Nebraska.

I do love your excuses. I am also going to guess that you have a Frost Warning t shirt.

For whatever reason brother, there's a void within me not having that good ol' Husker rivalry. The 70s and 80s, Switzer/Osborne? Countless all-americans? Matches the whole frickin nation couldn't wait to see year after year. Man Oh Man! I miss those days and my oh my how the game has changed. Now, sharing a border with Texas has been very beneficial for us for decades, the whole world knows this, but has dipped dramatically over the years as OU has prioritized nationwide recruiting for the best recruits obviously. Good luck to Husker.

Nebraska asked the Big 12, during the formation of the league, if there would be an agreement to keep the annual NU/OU rivalry in place. OU's AD said that he wasn't agreeing to play Nebraska every year if Texas only had to play Nebraska 2 out of every 4 years. At the time OU's football program was bad and Nebraska was on the best run in college football.
[/QUOTE]

I think it came down to which division OU was going to fall in. OU was correct in that the three strongest blue bloods was Neb, OU, and Texas. With OU stuck geographically in the middle to the other two decisions had to be made, lines had to be drawn. I don't think OU snubbed Neb for fear of getting throttled annually but rather the fear of leaving the state of Texas as far as recruiting.

I have often wondered what the B12 would have looked like w/ OU in the north. No doubt things would have changed drastically.

Please allow me to educate Hvhusker as it seems facts are being replaced by opinions and spins (you can't spin the fact that Frost does not want to play OU this year and also he is desperate to just to get to a bowl...no matter how crummy it is)

1. Osborne fled to retirement prior to Big12 forming...he realized his mini dynasty was about to end due to the mere fact he would have to play more than 1 decent team each year....face it 1994-97 his golden era was due to OU and Big8 being way down...only Colorado would stand in the way. Note: Osborne was on hot seat around 1990..so much that he was thinking of fleeing to Colorado job...but then things went his way. OU got dismantled by a few players trouble events all at once coupled with Media frenzy and NCAA witch hunt for Switzer. Osborne's dynasty then began...fueled by rampant steroids, felons (ie. thugs), low academic standards and of course cupcake scheduling. Also Osborne had an in with NCAA...the ex-Nun (Walsh) that worked for Osborne at Nebraska got a job at NCAA as head of data gathering....very important deciding who qualifies and who doesn't especially when prop-48 was being enforced.

2. The North/South divisions gave Nebraska an advantage of being with the bottom feeders of the big12 in the North division....while OU was in the South with Baylor on the rise and Tech lead by the Pirate it was strong top to bottom. In fact when Nebraska fled the big12....every team in the big12 south was probably better than Nebraska.

3. Nebraska got it's feelings hurt because no one else in the league wanted to lower the academic standards to Nebraska's level (per a vote 11-1)....that and the fact that they could not deal with true competition...they used the Texas excuse to bail to Big10...where they (fans, media, Osborne) had the notion they would quickly rule that conference....what a delusion that was! Note: Nebraska was booted out of the AAU for academic failings..all other teams in big10 belong and are in good standing in AAU....so when Nebraska was being considered at least 2 schools voted against allowing Nebraska into big10 because of them being booted out of AAU.

4. The Big10 originally formed it's divisions Hero and Legends to be balanced....oh no Nebraska found that too difficult of schedule....behind the scenes they whined and eventually the leagues were reformed to East and West based on Geography (and of course Nebraska fans were elated thinking they now had an easier path to dominate the big10)....once again Nebraska's delusions were beaten down by the style of play of big10. Iowa their new rival has dominated them with just frankly better coaching.

5. Along comes Frost in a parade of hype and Frost warning T-shirts. He boasted and made threats that he would quickly dominate the big10. In fact Frost proclaims things all the time that never materialize on the field. Like last season...he proclaimed they would play anyone anywhere and all that (as long as it's at Lincoln and also as long as it's some cupcake). Moos also known to make bold proclamations...once said that he couldn't wait to play OU and with Frost would assure victory...course that mood seems to have changed as we saw with them secretly lining up Old Dominion! OLD DOMINION!! to replace OU.....you can't spin around that....Frost wants to get wins any way he can to save his image and maybe job in the future.

Frost also seems to be living in the 1990s bubble that he can't seem to get out of as far as coaching at Nebraska goes. Recently brought in a couple of ex 90s players as mentors...not even sure what that means. One is Jason Peters...boy that's a great role model to have....look up his arrest records while at Nebraska).
Also there's been grumbling around Lincoln admin that he seems to feel he runs the University and can spend money any way he sees fit (he hired a recruiting analyst who lives in Alabama ...actually he teaches there...but is a good bud of Frosts).

Culture wise...the NCAA is being sued by several (5 or 6) ex students who had assault accusations ignored at Nebraska and NCAA also failed to look into.. these involved student athletes. Most recently another one involved a professor.

Last edited:
For someone that posts, "you can't spin facts", I'm dizzy after reading that. and if I didn't know any better, I'd say that you don't like Nebraska football much.

Please allow me to educate Hvhusker as it seems facts are being replaced by opinions and spins (you can't spin the fact that Frost does not want to play OU this year and also he is desperate to just to get to a bowl...no matter how crummy it is)

1. Osborne fled to retirement prior to Big12 forming...he realized his mini dynasty was about to end due to the mere fact he would have to play more than 1 decent team each year....face it 1994-97 his golden era was due to OU and Big8 being way down...only Colorado would stand in the way. Note: Osborne was on hot seat around 1990..so much that he was thinking of fleeing to Colorado job...but then things went his way. OU got dismantled by a few players trouble events all at once coupled with Media frenzy and NCAA witch hunt for Switzer. Osborne's dynasty then began...fueled by rampant steroids, felons (ie. thugs), low academic standards and of course cupcake scheduling. Also Osborne had an in with NCAA...the ex-Nun (Walsh) that worked for Osborne at Nebraska got a job at NCAA as head of data gathering....very important deciding who qualifies and who doesn't especially when prop-48 was being enforced.

2. The North/South divisions gave Nebraska an advantage of being with the bottom feeders of the big12 in the North division....while OU was in the South with Baylor on the rise and Tech lead by the Pirate it was strong top to bottom. In fact when Nebraska fled the big12....every team in the big12 south was probably better than Nebraska.

3. Nebraska got it's feelings hurt because no one else in the league wanted to lower the academic standards to Nebraska's level (per a vote 11-1)....that and the fact that they could not deal with true competition...they used the Texas excuse to bail to Big10...where they (fans, media, Osborne) had the notion they would quickly rule that conference....what a delusion that was! Note: Nebraska was booted out of the AAU for academic failings..all other teams in big10 belong and are in good standing in AAU....so when Nebraska was being considered at least 2 schools voted against allowing Nebraska into big10 because of them being booted out of AAU.

4. The Big10 originally formed it's divisions Hero and Legends to be balanced....oh no Nebraska found that too difficult of schedule....behind the scenes they whined and eventually the leagues were reformed to East and West based on Geography (and of course Nebraska fans were elated thinking they now had an easier path to dominate the big10)....once again Nebraska's delusions were beaten down by the style of play of big10. Iowa their new rival has dominated them with just frankly better coaching.

5. Along comes Frost in a parade of hype and Frost warning T-shirts. He boasted and made threats that he would quickly dominate the big10. In fact Frost proclaims things all the time that never materialize on the field. Like last season...he proclaimed they would play anyone anywhere and all that (as long as it's at Lincoln and also as long as it's some cupcake). Moos also known to make bold proclamations...once said that he couldn't wait to play OU and with Frost would assure victory...course that mood seems to have changed as we saw with them secretly lining up Old Dominion! OLD DOMINION!! to replace OU.....you can't spin around that....Frost wants to get wins any way he can to save his image and maybe job in the future.

Frost also seems to be living in the 1990s bubble that he can't seem to get out of as far as coaching at Nebraska goes. Recently brought in a couple of ex 90s players as mentors...not even sure what that means. One is Jason Peters...boy that's a great role model to have....look up his arrest records while at Nebraska).
Also there's been grumbling around Lincoln admin that he seems to feel he runs the University and can spend money any way he sees fit (he hired a recruiting analyst who lives in Alabama ...actually he teaches there...but is a good bud of Frosts).

Culture wise...the NCAA is being sued by several (5 or 6) ex students who had assault accusations ignored at Nebraska and NCAA also failed to look into.. these involved student athletes. Most recently another one involved a professor.

Ok, you get to skip the 5 year wait to get into the Hall of Fame.

Nebraska has one commitment right now for the 2022 class, a 3-star linebacker.
Its 2021 class was ranked a respectable 18th.
When I compare the problems at Nebraska and Penn State, I see PSU with a 2022 class ranked 7th nationally with one 5-star, six 4-star and one 3-star recruits.
There's promise for Penn State's future.....Nebraska is college football's "deserted island".......by its own doing.

ADVERTISEMENT