ADVERTISEMENT

How confident are you in our backup quarterbacks?

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
First, I don't even remember our third and fourth string depth chart. I think both of them are walk ones. Nothing wrong with that when Baker was in the same position.

I'm talking Austin Kendall. He's kind of a mystery except for his 4 star and the fact he played the same offense in high school we are now playing. I really liked what I saw in the spring game (yeah , I know). He seemed to be pretty fast and his spiral looked great.

I never cut down a current or former OU player, but I think he looked better than Hansen, Knight and Thomas. For some reason I just didn't see them in the new offense.

Austin may have to stand tall this year. Baker has had some concussions and we all hope he gets through the season.

I read a thread on OB from a Nortr Dame fan that informed them that the Domers started a red shirt freshman that took them to a 8-2 record after they lost their starting quarterback after the Horn game.

Kendall is not a red shirt, but wasn't he a early enrollee?

What do you think? Better or worse?......................

Kendall was an early enrollee so he participated in spring drills, which benefited everyone.
The other two QBs are walk-ons, but I would not compare them to Mayfield at all. Mayfield brought some good, proven experience with him at Texas Tech as a freshman. McGinnis and Clark have only high school experience....and hopefully their playing time this year is minimal.
My opinion is that Stoops needs to get Kendall as much playing time as possible and that means not having Mayfield playing as deep into games as he did last year......for if Mayfield gets hurt (which could mean his third concussion as a Sooner after having suffered two concussions in the last three games of last season) OU will face a very slippery slope, to say the least.
If OU can keep Mayfield up and running this year, the years following should not be as uncertain at quarterback. Murray will be available, Roberson comes on board and Kendall will have three more years.
But this year, so goes Mayfield, so goes OU's chances of winning any kind of championship.

Kendall was an early enrollee so he participated in spring drills, which benefited everyone.
The other two QBs are walk-ons, but I would not compare them to Mayfield at all. Mayfield brought some good, proven experience with him at Texas Tech as a freshman. McGinnis and Clark have only high school experience....and hopefully their playing time this year is minimal.
My opinion is that Stoops needs to get Kendall as much playing time as possible and that means not having Mayfield playing as deep into games as he did last year......for if Mayfield gets hurt (which could mean his third concussion as a Sooner after having suffered two concussions in the last three games of last season) OU will face a very slippery slope, to say the least.
If OU can keep Mayfield up and running this year, the years following should not be as uncertain at quarterback. Murray will be available, Roberson comes on board and Kendall will have three more years.
But this year, so goes Mayfield, so goes OU's chances of winning any kind of championship.

What CT said. Get Kendall as much playing time as possible in as many games as possible. After Mayfield and Kendall, the experience level drops off considerably.

The problem Bob will have getting Kendall playing time is the schedule. BM probably should just stay in street clothes for the ULM game.
Houston and Ohio St may be 60 minute games for him.

None of us have any idea of how Kendall will actually do if called upon, but I have a hunch he's going to be a good one. He'll have some amazing talent at skill positions around him. If both he & Mayfield go down, well forgetaboutit.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Will he be successful? Define successful.

To me, he has enough supporting cast/OLine to be potentially be in the hunt for conference champs.

I don't think we have the supporting cast for him to lead us into the playoffs. And I don't think he's talented enough to lead us there.

But I hope I'm wrong. And I hope we'll never find out.

What CT said. Get Kendall as much playing time as possible in as many games as possible. After Mayfield and Kendall, the experience level drops off considerably.
I will X3 what CT said. Getting Kendall playing time ASAP this year I think should be a priority in case he is needed late in the year. That will be tough with how OU's schedule starts out. Kendall comes in with a TON of potential, but heavily lacking in the experience department. He may be a great QB in years to come, but this year he is just your usual green, true freshman QB that we just hope isn't needed to come in for an injured Baker.

edit - but at the same time it would be nice if Kendall could RS also. So it's a roll of the dice here. Do you burn his redshirt to get him playing time in case you need him?? Or do you roll the dice and stick with Baker being your man, especially if Baker goes down the season is prolly lost anyways??

I will X3 what CT said. Getting Kendall playing time ASAP this year I think should be a priority in case he is needed late in the year. That will be tough with how OU's schedule starts out. Kendall comes in with a TON of potential, but heavily lacking in the experience department. He may be a great QB in years to come, but this year he is just your usual green, true freshman QB that we just hope isn't needed to come in for an injured Baker.

edit - but at the same time it would be nice if Kendall could RS also. So it's a roll of the dice here. Do you burn his redshirt to get him playing time in case you need him?? Or do you roll the dice and stick with Baker being your man, especially if Baker goes down the season is prolly lost anyways??
Kendall will play this year barring injury. For all intents and purposes and in all fairness to Clark and McGinnis, there is NO third team quarterback......and the level of talent between Mayfield and Kendall at this time could very far apart.
With Murray (sitting out this season) and Roberson coming in next season, it's more logical to play Kendall now.....see what he can do....then throw him and Murray into competition for next season's starting role. Roberson looks to be a potentially very good and he could turn out to be the best of the three, but unless injuries to Kendall and Murray happen, I believe he will redshirt.
Having said all this, OU's main priority for this season is keeping Mayfield healthy.

Kendall will play this year barring injury. For all intents and purposes and in all fairness to Clark and McGinnis, there is NO third team quarterback......and the level of talent between Mayfield and Kendall at this time could very far apart.
With Murray (sitting out this season) and Roberson coming in next season, it's more logical to play Kendall now.....see what he can do....then throw him and Murray into competition for next season's starting role. Roberson looks to be a potentially very good and he could turn out to be the best of the three, but unless injuries to Kendall and Murray happen, I believe he will redshirt.
Having said all this, OU's main priority for this season is keeping Mayfield healthy.
Ya that does make more sense letting him play and setting up for having 2 really solid QBs starting next year once Murray is also eligible.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Stoops doesn't have a history of playing his backup QB so that they get real game experience. Case in point, Josh pretty much threw every pass for OU in 2000. Nate Hybl had about a dozen attempts in mop up duty even though we beat the crap out of Rice, Arkansas State, Baylor, UTEP and even Texas. Josh stayed in each of those games way beyond the time the games where out of reach. I can't remember very many games when that wasn't the way Bob played his starting QB. Very little opportunity for the backup to prepare for taking over. Blake Bell was the exception and it paid dividends late in the year.

Reactions: BillyRay and CTOkie
Stoops doesn't have a history of playing his backup QB so that they get real game experience. Case in point, Josh pretty much threw every pass for OU in 2000. Nate Hybl had about a dozen attempts in mop up duty even though we beat the crap out of Rice, Arkansas State, Baylor, UTEP and even Texas. Josh stayed in each of those games way beyond the time the games where out of reach. I can't remember very many games when that wasn't the way Bob played his starting QB. Very little opportunity for the backup to prepare for taking over. Blake Bell was the exception and it paid dividends late in the year.
Agree, Oklabama, but Stoops has no choice this year but to give Kendall some playing time given Mayfield's two concussions in his last 3 games and the Johnny Manziel type of quarterbacking he brings.....which invites getting hit hard and often by defenders.
Mayfield does not need to be on the field if OU is winning big going into the final quarter, or winning big at the half against ULM or Kansas.
And Kendall does not need to be anything other than a good fundamentally sound QB and one that minimizes mistakes.

Agree, Oklabama, but Stoops has no choice this year but to give Kendall some playing time given Mayfield's two concussions in his last 3 games and the Johnny Manziel type of quarterbacking he brings.....which invites getting hit hard and often by defenders.
Mayfield does not need to be on the field if OU is winning big going into the final quarter, or winning big at the half against ULM or Kansas.
And Kendall does not need to be anything other than a good fundamentally sound QB and one that minimizes mistakes.

We can only hope to see Kendall on the field with a healthy Mayfield on the sidelines early in the 4th quarter. Late 3rd would be even better.

Reactions: BillyRay and CTOkie
Yep, Stoops has to let go running up the score early on and let the 2s and even the 3s get some reps.
Otherwise he'll be commiting suicide in light of Mayfields predisposition for the inevitable
concussion.
Geez, it isn't the ideal situation, but you have a modicum of consistency or the wheels just come off of the wagon.

Just saying
See Baylor last year.

One of the true freshman receivers played HS quarterback. He's not a great passer, but he could run the basic offense. There aren't many teams, with the exception of tOSU two years ago, who are going very far with their third quarterback.

Jones is getting an NFL look, so despite very little college playing time, relatively, he's not a bad prospect.

One of the true freshman receivers played HS quarterback. He's not a great passer, but he could run the basic offense. There aren't many teams, with the exception of tOSU two years ago, who are going very far with their third quarterback.

Jones is getting an NFL look, so despite very little college playing time, relatively, he's not a bad prospect.
Watching 2016 commit Adrian Hardy"s video, I saw only his play at quarterback even though he's listed as a WR/athlete. No way to determine what the coaches plan to do with him this year or if he will even play, but watching his video....as a QB....was eye-popping, even as a passer.

I think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised by Kendall. He was targeted to fit Riley's offense before Riley came to OU. He was a spring enrollee and word is he is a very good study of the game w/ film. I think we're going to be fine going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT