ADVERTISEMENT

Houston Starters/Analysis (by the numbers)

JConXtsy

Sooner starter
Aug 2, 2001
I tried to compile the list of starters with pertinent information the best I could. Forgive me if any of the information is incorrect. Sorry that tables don't transfer well either.

3 4Star players for the starters
7 3Star players
11 2Star players
1 NR player

New RB behind a very new (and relatively small) OL. Any running game will be Greg Ward Jr either running it or keeping the defense home with his wheels.

Good size and experience at WR. This is going to be a pass happy team in 2016 again.

Return the entire front 7 on defense, and they were considered a stout run defense in 2015. Few people tried to run against them, and nobody had much success. 10th in FBS for rushes over 20yds (I think only 10 all season). The flip side is that they didn't face any rushing offenses like ours, so I would say this is a big toss up right here.

Everyone threw against Houston, and they mostly had great success. Only one new CB starting in the secondary though, so they should be better, but how much better?

Pos Player Year Height Weight Rivals Stars Transfer? Starts
QB Greg Ward Jr Sr 5'11" 190 3
RB Duke Catalon RS So 6'0" 210 4
TE Tyler McCloskey Sr 6'2" 245 2

WR Steven Dunbar Jr Jr 6'3" 210 2
WR Ra'Shaad Samples Jr 5'11" 190 4 OkSt
WR Chance Allen Sr 6'3" 215 3

LT Na'Ty Rodgers Jr 6'5" 292 4 0
LG Kameron Eloph So 6'3" 294 3 3
C Will Noble So 6'4" 290 NR 8
RG Mason Denley Rs So 6'4" 305 2 7
RT Josh Jones Rs Fr 6'5" 280 3 0

DE Nick Thurman Jr 6'4" 290 3 14
DT BJ Singleton Sr 6'4" 314 3 14
DE Cameron Malveaux Sr 6'6" 270 2 14

OLB Tyus Bowser Sr 6'3" 240 3 14
ILB Matthew Adams Jr 6'1" 230 2 13
ILB Emeke Egbule So 6'3" 230 2 14
OLB Steven Taylor Sr 6'1" 225 2 14

SS Garrett Davis Rs So 6'1" 200 2 13
FS Khalil Williams Jr 6'0" 200 2 14

CB Howard Wilson So 6'1" 185 2 3
CB Brandon Wilson Sr 5'11" 200 2 14

Reactions: LongTimeSooner
Honestly such a new OL and this being their first game of the season, I don't see this going very well for their offense. I think we're going to see a lot of Greg Ward Jr scrambling and trying to make something happen. Let's hope our secondary can stay on their men for about 5 seconds.
I hope Ward Jr doesn't get injured in his first game this season.

Reactions: bcsoonerfan
You were right about the smallish O-line.
Even if these were the actual weights, most every team around would add about 20 lbs to each guy just to make it sound like they were bigger.
What if these listed weights ARE fudged by 20 lbs?
:eek:

Reactions: JConXtsy
You were right about the smallish O-line.
Even if these were the actual weights, most every team around would add about 20 lbs to each guy just to make it sound like they were bigger.
What if these listed weights ARE fudged by 20 lbs?
:eek:

Their most experienced lineman is the C with only 8 games under his belt and an unranked HS player.
Both tackles have 0 game experience with the Cougars.

Wade and Walker outweigh everyone on their offensive line. How often do DL outweigh OL? Games are won in the trenches.

Based on their strengths/weaknesses (strong front 7 on D, inexperienced O-line), my feeling is that that this may be a slightly lower scoring game than what I anticipated. They might have some success slowing down our run game, but they didn't come against any teams that can pound the rock like Perrine and Nixon. We should stuff their run and make them one-dimensional on offense, forcing their QB to scramble and throw it all over the yard. I'm guessing the over-under on INTs for OU will be 3.

Reactions: JConXtsy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT