ADVERTISEMENT

"Horns down" gesture will draw a flag according to Big 12 officials....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Okay, fine.
It's a silly and totally unnecessary threat, treating the gesture as if it's some some kind of an obscene display.
So hopefully OU players won't do it. Since such a threat is rendered, there's NO excuse to doing it. Riley needs to make this very clear to his team.
Just the same, what a crock.

...unless we're up by two scores with a minute left. Then the entire team should do it.

Root cause: Masculinity is frowned upon in Austin. They even teach courses against it at UT.
Okay, two scores up, a minute left, Texas with no timeouts left, and OU with the ball with a first and goal inside the Texas 5 yard line....I like our chances in this scenario.

...unless we're up by two scores with a minute left. Then the entire team should do it.

Root cause: Masculinity is frowned upon in Austin. They even teach courses against it at UT.

I wouldn’t push it unless the penalty is known. It’s stupid for the conference to even address this so I don’t trust what it would do if there was a mass planned horns down. This is so ridiculous. B12 presidents should get the balls to shut this down next year. Screw the Longhorn snowflakes.

Last edited:
We seem be trying to take the fun out of football. What is wrong with horn up or down? What is wrong with celebrating after a touchdown? I think the pro’s let them do their thing after a touchdown but we as younger player can not. What a shame let them be happy.

Guarantee that MORE people will do this, not less, now that they are making a big deal out of it.

Question: If a player in a game not including Texas, say OU vs WVU, throws horns down, do the officials still flag it?

Okay, fine.
It's a silly and totally unnecessary threat, treating the gesture as if it's some some kind of an obscene display.
So hopefully OU players won't do it. Since such a threat is rendered, there's NO excuse to doing it. Riley needs to make this very clear to his team.

This is ridiculous. A penalty? Then our players should be flagged for the "horns up" gesture because isn't that taunting OU? Good grief let them have fun. We already put a lot of pressure on them to win.

Our players are on the hook to brand a new, mocking hand gesture not previously against the rules. Young kids are good at this stuff.

I'd get clarification on what the Horns hand signal is. Is it with the thumb extended or curled? They have to pick one, right? I'd flash the other down.

I know most stuff doesn't affect recruiting, but I can't imagine the Horns whining about this and looking like World Class Clowns can possibly help in their recruiting.

LR needs to tell the Boys -

No Horns down from 11am -3pm
After that - get em out.

The Big 12 just now reversed (or eased up on) the rule. 11:45 CST

Just can’t do it in a player’s face.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
Political correctness is doing its best to take all the fun out of college football. I'd be embarrassed if I was a longhorn fan
The only two people actually attributed to whining about horns down that I heard were Mack Brown, and Tom Herman. Haven’t seen any of their fans complaining. All UT fans I’ve seen agree this is ridiculous.

Herman will not last long at this rate. Still waiting for more Zach Smith dirt on him to surface.

The Big 12 just now reversed (or eased up on) the rule. 11:45 CST

Just can’t do it in a player’s face.

Oh boy this sounds like a set up to me. The refs won’t have any grasp of this change. Bet we get dinged at some pivotal part of the game. Big 12 is run by a bunch of fools.

I would like to know who at the B12 decided that Horns Down was unsportsmanlike when it’s been part of that game forever? This is a kin to removing historical statues because it offends someone. WTF.

Honestly, I bet it's just the dumbasses that penalized WVU. It now behooves the Big XII to uphold their decision so as to not admit guilt. They are just covering their asses for those stupid refs, and I would imagine a change in that decision after the season is over.

Otherwise, I can't wait to be up 40+ points in the 4th and watch the barrage of penalties in the future. I say flood Sportscenter with lots of material.

I believe it was clarified this morning...it’s not an automatic penalty. It’s up to the ref to determine if it’s done in a taunting fashion or not.

Okay, fine.

I hope we get far enough ahead for the whole damn team to walk out on the field and throw 'em down.

If Texas is going to control the Big 12 with this stupid horns down penalty, then its time to find a new conference.

I get your point, but their at least needs to be consistency in this rule. Texas' Mike Davis was penalized several years ago for doing a "guns down" in a game against Texas Tech. Heck, even within the last month, Hagar had to issue an apology for saying something in regards to "OU Sucks".

1. I don't think any of these "offenses" should be penalized or an apology issued.

2. If the league is going to create a rule, then enforce the rule 100% of the time or don't enforce it at all. However, don't penalize one team and then not another. At least be consistent. It really isn't that hard to do.

3. Get rid of the damn rule. It is stupid and the Big XII league office really needs to be focused on other issues.

4. Let's get to Saturday!

I believe it was clarified this morning...it’s not an automatic penalty. It’s up to the ref to determine if it’s done in a taunting fashion or not.

Nothing like a subjective rule. How about this, just don't penalize it. Period.

I get the horns down, I really do. It's actually funny and part of the game. What I don't get is why you all and other schools will do the horns down when you are not even playing Texas.

I know you all have done it and WVU was doing it in their game against you all. A&M is just as bad. Not even in the same conference and they still do it.

I get the horns down, I really do. It's actually funny and part of the game. What I don't get is why you all and other schools will do the horns down when you are not even playing Texas.

Honestly, I can understand why OU does it. We have the greatest rivalry in college sports, and the year round trash is important to keep it so. Why the other teams in the Big XII do it throughout the year is beyond me. In fact, it even bugs me a bit as if they're stealing my right to insult y'all.

It's the whole, "I can beat my little brother up, but you can't," thing.

All I know is Gallogly needs to figure away out of this conference sooner rather than later. You know damn good and well we will have to play a perfect game with zero turnovers and we will need to force a few as well. Because the Big 12 has already shown this is all about Texas and everyone else be damned.

All I know is Gallogly needs to figure away out of this conference sooner rather than later. You know damn good and well we will have to play a perfect game with zero turnovers and we will need to force a few as well. Because the Big 12 has already shown this is all about Texas and everyone else be damned.

How has the league shown it is all about Texas?

As someone posted on the pay board... when OU scores, the player runs to a Sooner fan... all of them will be doing the 'horns down'.

Reactions: JConXtsy
How has the league shown it is all about Texas?
You can't be serious?The Big 12 has always been about Texas why do you think these other schools left?Why did Arkansas leave the SWC ?
You might want to do a little research on the subject.Unless you are a very young person you know exactly why.

Reactions: JoeOU1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT