ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly--Your true feelings about joining the SEC!!

frou

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
I know there a lot of people for the move to the SEC, and I also know there is a lot that would rather stay in the Big 12. I've read many compelling arguments for both. So what do the Sooner fans on SoonerScoop think?

I personally can't wait to join the SEC. I got friends that say over and over that OU has a much easier path to the playoffs staying in the B12 and I admit--that is true. Personally, I am sick of the B12. I'm sick of waking up on what should be a great day of college football and I'm saddled with watching yet another K.State vs Texas Tech game, or Baylor vs TCU, OSU vs Kansas, and so on and yeah I know there are a few bigger dog matchups but in this conference you have to wait for them. Just tired of it and yeah, I admit I am very selfish about my football Saturdays.

I figure Lord willing, I got about 15 years left watching college football and I can not wait to wake up and see Ole Miss at Norman, Texas at LSU, Florida at Austin, OU at South Carolina and those are not even the big dog games! So I guess we wait another 3 years they say. Many think it will take OU that long to be "SEC Ready" and yeah, I guess so. So I'll wait and suffer through a few more OU vs Iowa State which isn't bad, just like Baylor but nothing like waking up knowing Georgia is in Norman at night, and the list and the wait goes on and on.

What you say!

Not a fan but if mega conferences because we are greedy ****s is the future of CFB then might as well be in the best conference. Everybody get ready for a reset. 12-0 seasons will become unicorns.

I hate the move, but know l'm in the minority. Living close to Dallas, l love having a couple of short trips a year for conference road games in Waco or Ft Worth. I've loved the Big XII since Bob Stoops was hired.

I care that Bedlam is going away. I've always been one of thise guys that pulls for OSU when they're not playing us, unless their loss helps us in the conference standings.

And l hate being aligned with Texas in this whole deal. I hate UTexas and l hate the SEC. Now, we've joined the enemy.

It's a money grabbing venture for OU and Texas and it will most definitely be more challenging for OU to compete in the SEC.
But money trumps any and every rhyme and reason to remain in the Big 12.
All of these musical chair conference alignments are out of my control and like other things going on in the world, I choose to concern myself with what's going on in my own little world. This world in politics, sports, human behavior has become too crazy for me.

I once heard that there are three kinds of people:
- those who make things happen
- those who watch things happen
- those who wonder what happened

By proactively joining the SEC, I believe OU was trying to get ahead of the curve and fall into the first category so they wouldn't find themselves hostage to the second or third.

Unfortunately, the Big 12 rendered itself obsolete. Some of the same "no-win" matchups did get old. As the Big 12 standard bearer, we were supposed to win every game. When we occasionally lost to a TCU, K-State, etc. the national media narrative would say that OU was an overrated team in a bottom feeder P5 conference. Our wins were similarly disrespected.

My distaste for the SEC comes from personal interaction with fans of SEC teams as well as the national media. When SEC teams win bowl games it's because their conference is so tough; when they lose them, it's because they didn't want to be there. If I had a dime for every time a fan of an SEC team told me that Tennessee or Mississippi or South Carolina would win the Big 12 every year, I'd have a ton of dimes.

I'd be lying if I said I weren't looking forward to some of the teams we'll now see playing on Owen Field. I think we'll lose another game or two each year but no more than that. There's no way we'll be a middle to lower tier team like Nebraska in the B1G or Missouri in the SEC.

Bottom line, I guess, is that I look forward to stepping up in weight class but I hate the traditional SEC arrogance/culture.

Last edited:
I once heard that there are three kinds of people:
- those who make things happen
- those who watch things happen
- those who wonder what happened

By proactively joining the SEC, I believe OU was trying to get ahead of the curve and fall into the first category so they wouldn't find themselves hostage to the second or third.

Unfortunately, the Big 12 rendered itself obsolete. Some of the same old "no-win" matchups did get old. As the Big 12 standard bearer, we were supposed to win every game. When we occasionally lost to a TCU, K-State, etc. the national media narrative would say that OU was an overrated team in a bottom feeder P5 conference. Our wins were similarly disrespected.

My distaste for the SEC comes from personal interaction with fans of SEC teams as well as the national media. When SEC teams win bowl games it's because their conference is so tough; when they lose them, it's because they didn't want to be there. If I had a dime for every time a fan of an SEC team told me that Tennessee or Mississippi or South Carolina would win the Big 12 every year, I'd have a ton of dimes.

I'd be lying if I said I weren't looking forward to some of the teams we'll now see playing on Owen Field. I think we'll lose another game or two each year but no more than that. There's no way we'll be a middle to lower tier team like Nebraska in the B1G or Missouri in the SEC.

Bottom line, I guess, is that I look forward to stepping up in weight class but I hate the traditional SEC arrogance/culture.
The evolution my man.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I hate the move, but know l'm in the minority. Living close to Dallas, l love having a couple of short trips a year for conference road games in Waco or Ft Worth. I've loved the Big XII since Bob Stoops was hired.

I care that Bedlam is going away. I've always been one of thise guys that pulls for OSU when they're not playing us, unless their loss helps us in the conference standings.

And l hate being aligned with Texas in this whole deal. I hate UTexas and l hate the SEC. Now, we've joined the enemy.
Preach brother

Go big or go home. We be going big.

My only concern is how dirty are we going to have to get to win a Natty. But for Bama, every SEC team that won a Natty got busted for cheating and had a major fall.

Go big or go home. We be going big.

My only concern is how dirty are we going to have to get to win a Natty. But for Bama, every SEC team that won a Natty got busted for cheating and had a major fall.
Just hang on brother. We're gonna be swingin here shortly. 😉

I will miss the Big 12's middle America heritage, places, traditions, fan bases and branding. But obviously that is becoming a thing of the past. Conferences are getting away from regions, and society is homogenized now. Horrible, rude people from coast to coast.

Football wise, it will be exciting to have more bigger games... almost like bowl games all season long. It's going to be awesome. OU's winning tradition will continue, but it won't be those "hang half a hundred" games anymore. It will be tougher.

But there is more to Sooner sports than football.

Basketball isn't as popular in the SEC as it is in the Big 12. I'm not sure what happens to OU men's and women's basketball as a result. We may end up owning the league, who knows?

Baseball is HUGE in the SEC. That will be awesome. We are so fortunate to have Skip and Reggie. They're getting it going at the right time. OU's 2022 season and MLB drafting 11 players has gotten a lot of attention in the SEC. Insiders say there's a good chance of more great players are coming in, but the specifics cannot be made public yet.

Softball.... hey, we've got Patty Gasso. That's all I need to say there.

I'm not sure about the other sports. I only follow the above.

Last edited:
I will miss the Big 12's middle America heritage, places, traditions, fan bases and branding. But obviously that is becoming a thing of the past. Conferences are getting away from regions, and society is homogenized now. Horrible, rude people from coast to coast.

Football wise, it will be exciting to have more bigger games... almost like bowl games all season long. It's going to be awesome. OU's winning tradition will continue, but it won't be those "hang half a hundred" games anymore. It will be tougher.

But there is more to Sooner sports than football.

Basketball isn't as popular in the SEC as it is in the Big 12. I'm not sure what happens to OU men's and women's basketball as a result. We may end up owning the league, who knows?

Baseball is HUGE in the SEC. That will be awesome. We are so fortunate to have Skip and Reggie. They're getting it going at the right time. OU's 2022 season and MLB drafting 11 players has gotten a lot of attention in the SEC. Insiders say there's a good chance of more great players are coming in, but the specifics cannot be made public yet.

Softball.... hey, we've got Patty Gasso. That's all I need to say there.

I'm not sure about the other sports. I only follow the above.
OU's third best sport is women's gymnastics and the SEC is full of women's gymnastics teams. Interestingly, Texas won't be one of them. Florida, Bama and LSU are probably the best three. Florida has such homer officiating that we never do very well there. The SEC championships in women's gym are going to be spectacular. But there isn't a single men's gymnastics team in the SEC, where we are really good. Men's gym, because of Title IX, has fewer than 30 teams in the country.

We won't be dominating women's basketball anytime soon. Over that last decade. two or three of the top five or six women's basketball teams in the country came from the SEC. And Texas will fit in well there. We'll have some serious stepping up to do, to be in the top four in the conference. BTW, Texas hired their last coach from Mississippi State, where he made the Bulldogs a national power.

And of course there are also zero men's wrestling teams in the SEC. I wonder if the Big XII will let us stay in one sport?

I think Brent Venables is the perfect coach to lead OU into the SEC. He knows the terrain and how to compete. We will have some growing pains and disappointments but we will adapt and succeed sooner than any talking head will want to admit. Venables is recruiting the southeast better than expected now.

I hear all this crap about money ruling the college football landscape. It's all true. It was inevitable. Nothing stays the same. College football is a thriving business enterprise and deals with the profit and loss drama of a major corporations. It is no longer 1970s/80s. Do you blame Switzer? Did he not start the ball rolling when OU was a party too suing the NCAA over unreasonable controls? The NIL and billion dollar broadcast contracts are here to stay. It will evolve even more in the coming years. Castiglione and Turnipseed understands and is in the thick of keeping OU near the front of the line.

Last edited:
Seven thoughts about joining the SEC:

1) Sooners don't take a back seat to anyone. In my lifetime, there are 5 blue bloods (OU, Ohio State, USC, Alabama and Notre Dame). I am not talking about current elite programs, Clemson and Georgia come to mind, that are not my blue bloods. They may be at some point or in someone else's lifetime but not mine.
2) Steel sharpens steel. We will only get better playing the best. I want to see and play the best. That builds champions. Whooopiee another Big 12 champoionship NOT! Let that be a pokes hand me down.
3) Recruiting will improve being in the SEC and the extra money for recruiting. Remember, we are the other blue blood in the SEC.
4) New and better rivalries will be made. Unfortunately, we won't get to kick little brothers arse 80% of the time. I will miss beating the pokes. I won't miss those paddle swinging sheep wearing inbreds in stoolwater. Oh and not to mention how butt hurt the entire university is because we didn't drag them into the SEC with us!
5) I don't get excited about playing any big twelve team other than OSU and Texas. Losing Nebraska, Colorado, and A&M ended the big 12 as a power. Add LSU (my hatred for Texas could be overtaken by the druken, toothless, corn dog smelling cajuns), Arkansas (stupid pig hat wearing inbreds...never mind the wagon hats are uglier. Sorry Arkansas fans), Ole Miss (Lane Kiffin...nough said), Mississippi State (the pirate!), A&M (77-0 our OSU bitch replacement) etc..
6) The monster NEEDS fed! 75k fans for a scrimmage! It is time!
7) Most times there are 2 great SEC teams (Alabama and someone else) soon there will be 3 (the two blue bloods and whomever).

20 years ago, I remember an Alabama fan talking to me about getting back to OU's level and I told him they would being they were a blue blood. These things are cyclical and our cycle is about to kick in! I give us two years to become elite again. New players, coaches and schemes should take a few years to gel.

Last year was the most disappointing year I can recall. We had the talent to be great but failed miserably. Although I was blinded by the TBOW move, I now see a coaching overhaul was in order.

Last but not least, I could be wrong.😁

Let's go! All of you guys here, successful in your own avenues of the world, all competitive, then you're ready for this and this is exciting. Bring the fight. Competition is the reason for loving this sport and our university. I'm so excited to have a football season where every week is nail biting. I'm getting tired of these seasons where I don't even care half of the weeks. Let's go and let's compete. I like it. I love it.

I ain't gonna name drop, but I'll say that my trainer is a former sooner great. He was about as talented of a person could be, and he shares my sentiment. These kids want to compete. This is what gets their juices going. They want to fight for us.

Seven thoughts about joining the SEC:

1) Sooners don't take a back seat to anyone. In my lifetime, there are 5 blue bloods (OU, Ohio State, USC, Alabama and Notre Dame). I am not talking about current elite programs, Clemson and Georgia come to mind, that are not my blue bloods. They may be at some point or in someone else's lifetime but not mine.
2) Steel sharpens steel. We will only get better playing the best. I want to see and play the best. That builds champions. Whooopiee another Big 12 champoionship NOT! Let that be a pokes hand me down.
3) Recruiting will improve being in the SEC and the extra money for recruiting. Remember, we are the other blue blood in the SEC.
4) New and better rivalries will be made. Unfortunately, we won't get to kick little brothers arse 80% of the time. I will miss beating the pokes. I won't miss those paddle swinging sheep wearing inbreds in stoolwater. Oh and not to mention how butt hurt the entire university is because we didn't drag them into the SEC with us!
5) I don't get excited about playing any big twelve team other than OSU and Texas. Losing Nebraska, Colorado, and A&M ended the big 12 as a power. Add LSU (my hatred for Texas could be overtaken by the druken, toothless, corn dog smelling cajuns), Arkansas (stupid pig hat wearing inbreds...never mind the wagon hats are uglier. Sorry Arkansas fans), Ole Miss (Lane Kiffin...nough said), Mississippi State (the pirate!), A&M (77-0 our OSU bitch replacement) etc..
6) The monster NEEDS fed! 75k fans for a scrimmage! It is time!
7) Most times there are 2 great SEC teams (Alabama and someone else) soon there will be 3 (the two blue bloods and whomever).

20 years ago, I remember an Alabama fan talking to me about getting back to OU's level and I told him they would being they were a blue blood. These things are cyclical and our cycle is about to kick in! I give us two years to become elite again. New players, coaches and schemes should take a few years to gel.

Last year was the most disappointing year I can recall. We had the talent to be great but failed miserably. Although I was blinded by the TBOW move, I now see a coaching overhaul was in order.

Last but not least, I could be wrong.😁
I totally agree with you and JCon's subsequent post. I am a season ticket holder and I would trade OU/Alabama or OU/LSU at the Palace for OU/Kan or KSU any day of the year. Venables will surprise us. He will have us in the hunt and the fight for the top spot much quicker than expected. Bama is there for one reason, SABAN. OU has the foundation to build the same monster.

I totally agree with you and JCon's subsequent post. I am a season ticket holder and I would trade OU/Alabama or OU/LSU at the Palace for OU/Kan or KSU any day of the year. Venables will surprise us. He will have us in the hunt and the fight for the top spot much quicker than expected. Bama is there for one reason, SABAN. OU has the foundation to build the same monster.
I hope your assessment of Alabama without Saban becomes reality, but I can't imagine Alabama not replacing Saban with yet another elite coach.
Dabo Swinney has Alabama roots and after 13 years at Clemson is only 52 years old and privately, I think Dabo is waiting for Saban, who turns 71 on Halloween, to retire.
Dabo, in my opinion, would represent a seamless transition from Saban.
I suspect Alabama, Saban and Swinney have this all planned out.... although the current feud between Saban and Swinney might torpedo the plan.

Saban & Swiney have to polar opposite personalities. As such, their teams take on the these traits as each recruits to their personal likings. Swinney to Bama may occur as you say, but it won't be seamless. For seamless, I can see Kirby Smart.

Of course it's about the money. Always has been, always will be. Nothing has changed but the $$$ amount offered. And NC, JC, and Scottsdale have nailed it. From a fan's perspective it's about the level of competition. I say bring it. My only concern is how dirty are we going to get to win. Because w/ the SEC, it's always about the dirty.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Saban & Swiney have to polar opposite personalities. As such, their teams take on the these traits as each recruits to their personal likings. Swinney to Bama may occur as you say, but it won't be seamless. For seamless, I can see Kirby Smart.
Good point.
My feeling is that whatever route Alabama takes after Saban's exit, money and personality differences won't matter, but as you mentioned, Kirby Smart may be a better choice.

Reactions: newnasty
Worrying about a single school is silly. Only 11 kids get on the field at once. There are way more than 11 kids with talent in the world. Coaching is a huge advantage. Hopefully we have our coach now.

There's plenty of talent to share.

Let's go! All of you guys here, successful in your own avenues of the world, all competitive, then you're ready for this and this is exciting. Bring the fight. Competition is the reason for loving this sport and our university. I'm so excited to have a football season where every week is nail biting. I'm getting tired of these seasons where I don't even care half of the weeks. Let's go and let's compete. I like it. I love it.

I ain't gonna name drop, but I'll say that my trainer is a former sooner great. He was about as talented of a person could be, and he shares my sentiment. These kids want to compete. This is what gets their juices going. They want to fight for us.
And thank OUr lucky stars we got that coach that can compete in the sec. A couple of seasons of fine tuning the Crimson Machine and we're gonna be just fine imo.

I’m looking forward to the SEC for the competition. I’m ready to accept what happens. I’m not going to whine if we don’t win conference championships every year or even seldom. Just knowing that my team is playing in the best conference is good enough for me. I trust our coaches to put competitive squads onto the field every year. BOOMER!

I’m looking forward to the SEC for the competition. I’m ready to accept what happens. I’m not going to whine if we don’t win conference championships every year or even seldom. Just knowing that my team is playing in the best conference is good enough for me. I trust our coaches to put competitive squads onto the field every year. BOOMER!
Exactly. At least it will be fun to watch. It's an entertainment sport. We all want to win but we really watch for entertainment. Something to break up the stress of life. Something to have fun with.

I look forward to OU playing in the SEC, too.
I do, however, see a much more challenging road ahead for either a conference championship or especially a national championship.
OU has gone 22 years without a national championship and I thought after the 2000 championship, that there would be a few more coming into this century.
My hope is that the old saying "if you can't beat them, join them (the SEC)" works for OU. It was five SEC teams that derailed OU's title hopes (LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and LSU again). And in each game, I saw OU as the second-best team on the field.
I hope competing in the SEC will be more successful than it has been for Missouri and Arkansas.... and even ATM.
What OU needs now is time (2-3 years) for Venables to build HIS team and for OU fans to be patient and to know that all the energy, resolve and resources are NOW in place.

I like to think that we make the SEC a tougher conference. We are better than 90% of the teams in the conference. I don't think of the SEC as a place where we are over matched. I do belive the SEC elite's will make us better.

We will get our fair share of conference championships always have and always will. We will not dominate the conference like we did in the Big 12.

What I envision are two heavy weights slugging it out for conference championships much like OU and Nebraska.

Last edited:
Reactions: JConXtsy
I look forward to OU playing in the SEC, too.
I do, however, see a much more challenging road ahead for either a conference championship or especially a national championship.
OU has gone 22 years without a national championship and I thought after the 2000 championship, that there would be a few more coming into this century.
My hope is that the old saying "if you can't beat them, join them (the SEC)" works for OU. It was five SEC teams that derailed OU's title hopes (LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and LSU again). And in each game, I saw OU as the second-best team on the field.
I hope competing in the SEC will be more successful than it has been for Missouri and Arkansas.... and even ATM.
What OU needs now is time (2-3 years) for Venables to build HIS team and for OU fans to be patient and to know that all the energy, resolve and resources are NOW in place.
Good Comment, CT...I agree with your assessment, that OU was the second best team in 4 of the 5 Title Games, but, IMO, the second best COACHED, in the Georgia game...

I do not see Kirby leaving his alma mater, where he just won the Natty over Saban, for Alabama. Why would he do that?

I know I keep harping on this guy and I will continue to do so. OU has Thad Turnipseed, the king maker of both Alabama and Clemson. He knows what it takes to build a structured environment that can thrive. Saban could never get to where he is without money and that takes a salesman of a much higher quality than Saban. Donors and alumni builds programs also.

I know there a lot of people for the move to the SEC, and I also know there is a lot that would rather stay in the Big 12. I've read many compelling arguments for both. So what do the Sooner fans on SoonerScoop think?

I personally can't wait to join the SEC. I got friends that say over and over that OU has a much easier path to the playoffs staying in the B12 and I admit--that is true. Personally, I am sick of the B12. I'm sick of waking up on what should be a great day of college football and I'm saddled with watching yet another K.State vs Texas Tech game, or Baylor vs TCU, OSU vs Kansas, and so on and yeah I know there are a few bigger dog matchups but in this conference you have to wait for them. Just tired of it and yeah, I admit I am very selfish about my football Saturdays.

I figure Lord willing, I got about 15 years left watching college football and I can not wait to wake up and see Ole Miss at Norman, Texas at LSU, Florida at Austin, OU at South Carolina and those are not even the big dog games! So I guess we wait another 3 years they say. Many think it will take OU that long to be "SEC Ready" and yeah, I guess so. So I'll wait and suffer through a few more OU vs Iowa State which isn't bad, just like Baylor but nothing like waking up knowing Georgia is in Norman at night, and the list and the wait goes on and on.

What you say!
I'm going against the grain as usual. I hate it that the traditional rivalries are going down the tubes. OU/Nebraska, and now OSU/OU. And not just football, what about wrestling, softball, tennis, baseball, on and on. We've got to travel 900 miles to play South Carolina when there is a worthy opponent 60 miles away?? Change is imminent I guess but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I hate it that the traditional rivalries are going down the tubes. OU/Nebraska, and now OSU/OU.
Agree, but as I've stated several times before, the money-grab of conference realignment is what college football is about now. Tradition is dying out the same way sportsmanship is.
Spoken like an old timer, right ?

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I'm going against the grain as usual. I hate it that the traditional rivalries are going down the tubes. OU/Nebraska, and now OSU/OU. And not just football, what about wrestling, softball, tennis, baseball, on and on. We've got to travel 900 miles to play South Carolina when there is a worthy opponent 60 miles away?? Change is imminent I guess but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
I sure do miss that cornhusker rivalry of 70s and 80s not so much the 90s though. Time to start afresh.

Bulldogs had half a defense, we did not.
Way too much blame for OUr UGa failure was placed on our defense. As good as OUr offense was in the first half, and as bad as the end of the first half went, that led to the late Bulldog field goal, OUr offense went so belly up in the second half, that they put the defense is a horrible position. We had like four out of five possessions that went three and out. Anderson also got beat up on a late hit out of bounds late first, and it changed the complexion of the game. A whole lot of bad things had to come together to make that loss happen, but not giving Trey Sermon some snaps against his home state team was a big factor. He'd played a lot all season, but barely that day. And Anderson was hurt, but we didn't spell him. And OUr all world offense had one drive after halftime, and a whole bunch of three and outs otherwise. Because of that, OUr defense was worn out by the end of the 4th quarter and overtime. The offense was the strength of that team. But they disappeared after halftime.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Way too much blame for OUr UGa failure was placed on our defense. As good as OUr offense was in the first half, and as bad as the end of the first half went, that led to the late Bulldog field goal, OUr offense went so belly up in the second half, that they put the defense is a horrible position. We had like four out of five possessions that went three and out. Anderson also got beat up on a late hit out of bounds late first, and it changed the complexion of the game. A whole lot of bad things had to come together to make that loss happen, but not giving Trey Sermon some snaps against his home state team was a big factor. He'd played a lot all season, but barely that day. And Anderson was hurt, but we didn't spell him. And OUr all world offense had one drive after halftime, and a whole bunch of three and outs otherwise. Because of that, OUr defense was worn out by the end of the 4th quarter and overtime. The offense was the strength of that team. But they disappeared after halftime.
I watched the game in it's entirety. Tbow just couldn't build a complete team. He's not a head coach. Maybe he got caught up in his star status? Who knows, he's a branch off the pirate tree imo. Brent doesn't play that way. A different way of looking at it brother. We're in a better place today imo.

I watched the game in it's entirety. Tbow just couldn't build a complete team. He's not a head coach. Maybe he got caught up in his star status? Who knows, he's a branch off the pirate tree imo. Brent doesn't play that way. A different way of looking at it brother. We're in a better place today imo.
Whatever reasons or excuses one presents for OU's loss against Georgia, when a team is built with little regard for defense, it will lose games like this.
OU had to score 49 points to beat Baylor, 42 points to beat KSU and 62 points to beat Oklahoma State in 2017....yet OU held Ohio State, a team that produced 576 points that season (an average of 41 points per game), to 16 paltry points....in Columbus.

Whatever reasons or excuses one presents for OU's loss against Georgia, when a team is built with little regard for defense, it will lose games like this.
OU had to score 49 points to beat Baylor, 42 points to beat KSU and 62 points to beat Oklahoma State in 2017....yet OU held Ohio State, a team that produced 576 points that season (an average of 41 points per game), to 16 paltry points....in Columbus.
My opinion was pretty simple.

Reactions: CTOkie
ADVERTISEMENT