ADVERTISEMENT

Here is why Lampkin can't play at OU this year right now

Carey Murdock

Sooner starter
Staff
Dec 6, 2001
Norman, OK
www.soonerscoop.com
Lampkin has an NLI with UT. Most fans want to believe that NLI runs out on a certain date clearing the way for Lampkin to be eligible at another school.

Today, Charlie Strong had some interesting things to say about Lampkin's situation at UT.

Which is interesting because it would seem that Charlie Strong wouldn't have anything to do with Lampkin's future if he couldn't get admitted to UT.

So how would he keep Lampkin from being released?

Well, Texas doesn't have to actually provide Lampkin with a letter of denial in this case. They can basically claim to the NLI office that he sabotaged his enrollment in order to get out of a national letter of intent.

And now that Lampkin is already enrolled at OU and ready to attend classes, there really is no reason for them to provide Lampkin with a letter of denial, or deny him admission.

Now he'll have to sit out this year

Here is the language in the NLI that talks about being denied by a university.

This NLI shall be declared null and void if any of the following occur:

a. Admissions Requirement. This NLI shall be declared null and void if the institution named in this document notifies me in writing that I have been denied admission or, by the opening day of classes in fall 2015, has failed to provide me with written notice of admission, provided I have submitted a complete admission application. It is my obligation to provide, by request, my academic records and an application for admission to the signing institution. If I fail to submit the necessary academic credentials and/or application to determine an admission decision prior to September 1, the NLI office per its review with the institution will determine the status of the NLI.

If I am eligible for admission, but the institution named in this document defers my admission to a subsequent term, the NLI will be declared null and void; however, this NLI remains binding if I defer my admission.

You can look at this and say there are things in Lampkin's favor, but the most important thing that is written is this: If I fail to submit the necessary academic credentials and/or application to determine an admission decision prior to September 1, the NLI office per its review with the institution will determine the status of the NLI.

This is where Texas can go to the NLI office and block Lampkin from being released from his NLI. Which is what they intend to do.

Now Lampkin will have an appeal process that he will go through, but all of that is going to take time.

So as it stands now, Lampkin won't be eligible to play this year, but I'm told OU does believe he can be a part of the program and workout with the team. That's really all you want at this point, because the chances are very slim he can make an impact this year coming in this late in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.