ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson in hot water?

Seems like Lincoln is having his share of problem players. In this case, it was all related to the three idiots and one incident.

Hopefully this is enough of a ‘wake up’ for the rest of the current and future Sooners
Misdeeds have been with OU football since the days of Joe Don Looney (1963) up to this latest issue.
I keep believing that college coaches should tell recruits there will be a zero tolerance policy on breaking the law, assaulting someone, accepting money for bogus jobs or cheating in class and that it won't matter if they are a 5-star recruit or the lowest player on the roster. Until that happens, stuff like this will always be part of big time college sports.

I think Henderson had the most potential of the 3 and was next in line to be our next X factor fullback. But like the others, his departure is not a heavy loss.

Reactions: LikeClicker3000
Misdeeds have been with OU football since the days of Joe Don Looney (1963) up to this latest issue.
I keep believing that college coaches should tell recruits there will be a zero tolerance policy on breaking the law, assaulting someone, accepting money for bogus jobs or cheating in class and that it won't matter if they are a 5-star recruit or the lowest player on the roster. Until that happens, stuff like this will always be part of big time college sports.
Ha! Zero tolerance won't stop the knuckleheads who have "zero" regard for the rules. That thought is too far gone.

I saw an interview on youtube with Henderson the other day and he sounded like a respectful young man. I'm surprised he was mixed up in this deal.

Zero tolerance, if adhered to be every program, would at the very least reduce these kinds of mischief greatly.
An 18-21 year old would know that he will lose whatever career in a sport he had forever. He would have to understand that he's not just another student and as a high profile athlete, he represents more than just himself.
If he can hold off being a jerk or thug for 3-4 years, he can have a career in pro sports where virtually anything is tolerated and the "it's all about me" behavior is accepted and revered.

Zero tolerance, if adhered to be every program, would at the very least reduce these kinds of mischief greatly.
An 18-21 year old would know that he will lose whatever career in a sport he had forever. He would have to understand that he's not just another student and as a high profile athlete, he represents more than just himself.
If he can hold off being a jerk or thug for 3-4 years, he can have a career in pro sports where virtually anything is tolerated and the "it's all about me" behavior is accepted and revered.
Makes you wonder if the newly gained access to making money will help college athletes make better decisions or empower them in a negative manner???

Makes you wonder if the newly gained access to making money will help college athletes make better decisions or empower them in a negative manner???

It could put them into the “money lifestyle” too young, and make them less hungry and indifferent to succeed and train for the next level. I see few positives to this. Going to really be a headache for CFB Coaches.

For the most part these kids are a product of our screwed up, permissive society. You can now break in and loot practically any store you want in San Fran and nothing will happen.

Key: permissive society. When there is little or no penalty for those scholarship players that go off the grid, what should we expect. Oh, they’re just kids and it’s not that big a deal. Well, with that attitude why would Lincoln or any NCAA head coach be surprised. I guess it’s “Just win, Baby”. Pretty sad.

I've never really looked into it but, Al was was very influential and powerful within the NFL from what I remember. I don't think he was ever highly regarded but his influence definitely left it's mark in the football world which seems to drive it to this day.

For the most part these kids are a product of our screwed up, permissive society. You can now break in and loot practically any store you want in San Fran and nothing will happen.
San Frananians are light in their loafers. They gloat only because the fed bails their state out year after year after year.

What makes you think the zero tolerance message is not being verbally transmitted to all sports teams at OU? Football in particular. I was told by high level chaps from OU's athletic department that such compliance is pressed into heads from day one on campus. There are always a select few that can't or won't heed the warnings and think they can get away with it.

What makes you think the zero tolerance message is not being verbally transmitted to all sports teams at OU? Football in particular. I was told by high level chaps from OU's athletic department that such compliance is pressed into heads from day one on campus. There are always a select few that can't or won't heed the warnings and think they can get away with it.
Joe Mixon, Rhamondre Stevenson and Ronnie Perkins come to mind.
Stevenson's and Perkins' absence in the Iowa State and Kansas State early season losses were huge reasons why OU lost. Personally, I think it cost OU both games.
Mixon slugged a woman who had rejected his advances outside a sandwich shop after he followed her inside. Mixon now has a 4 year $48 million contract with the Bengals.

Stevenson's and Perkins' absence in the Iowa State and Kansas State early season losses were huge reasons why OU lost. Personally, I think it cost OU both games.
Mixon slugged a woman who had rejected his advances outside a sandwich shop after he followed her inside. Mixon now has a 4 year $48 million contract with the Bengals.
And all three were drafted into the NFL. What's the underlying message here? Think about it. The corporate that runs the NFL as well as the NCAA are looking at future earnings, not morals. The cfb landscape is gonna ramp up this season. Get ready. All the rules have changed.

Last edited:
And all three were drafted into the NFL. What's the underlying message here? Think about it. The corporate that runs the NFL as well as the NCAA are looking at future earnings, not morals. The cfb landscape is gonna ramp up this season. Get ready.
You are 100% correct.
Money talks, morals walk.
It's all about money, winning and showcasing the "all about me" crap on (and off) the playing field and basketball court.
If the NFL, CFB, MLB, NBA and NHL don't care about the integrity of its product, why should we ?
We're supposed to pay the freight, sit back and shut up.....while making lots of bad odds bets.

Joe Mixon is a valid point. Stevenson and Perkins not so fast my friend. Smoking weed is not the same as punching a girl, even though she was a mouthy bitch that threw some pretty strong words and a punch if I am not mistaken. My point is that there is so much the school can do to remedy bad behavior before the fact. I think Riley has handled this matter as well as can be expected. He waited for the facts to surface and then sent them packing.

How long you been doing it? I'm guilty as well. 😁
It wasn't always like this, but now it's changed over the past ten years.
The more the networks glamorize the taunting and displays of poor sportsmanship, the less I watch. And the boorish behavior of many of today's fans is also taking enjoyment away for me.

Well my man, the game today is tailored as the networks so see fit. These folks as well as the NFL, call the shots and have ****ed up the game. I'm too old now to worry about this ridiculous shit. You wouldn't be hearing my babble right now if it weren't rainin cats and dogs down at the coast. God dam almighty, this is my fishin season. God bless you ct. 😁

Give us some ideas brother.
I guess I should have said "there is only so much the school can do". I believe they have counseling type sessions now and I know the athletic department provides tutors and mentors that conduct open discussions about the consequences of their actions. I had an opportunity to attend a function for donors here in Scottsdale a few weeks ago when the men's golf team was in town for the National Championship. One of the host was a Compliance Officer that said his job was to keep the golfers out of trouble. He commented that golfers were easy but baseball and football was a much bigger task.

I guess I should have said "there is only so much the school can do". I believe they have counseling type sessions now and I know the athletic department provides tutors and mentors that conduct open discussions about the consequences of their actions. I had an opportunity to attend a function for donors here in Scottsdale a few weeks ago when the men's golf team was in town for the National Championship. One of the host was a Compliance Officer that said his job was to keep the golfers out of trouble. He commented that golfers were easy but baseball and football was a much bigger task.
I knew what you were saying brother. It aint no mystery that some of the clobs recruited are deficient in life's skills and civility, but heck, it's a gamble that has to be taken. Has to. Cfb could not possibly survive without it. 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT