ADVERTISEMENT

Hello, boys...

Let’s see...........
Teeth brushed..........check!
Hair combed over.......check!
Eye brows trimmed.......check!
Beard nicely manicured........check!
Beer gutt sucked in while lungs over expanded..........check!
Deodorant.........check!
Wallet stuffed with $1.00’s to look like it’s fat with $100.00’s.........check!

I might have a chance here guys. Don’t blow it for me. ;)

Now that we've put those Cowgirls in their place, I thought I might fill y'all in on how my life has changed in the last year...and no, iasooner1, no grands, as I told you before, I'm not old enough to be a Gigi, yet!

It's been almost a year since I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer. It was just Stage 1 & the tumor was only 1 cm in size. So, with zero family history of breast cancer, I was ridiculously fortunate that we caught it when we did! ❤

I moved back to Norman to be near family & received all my treatments at the Stephenson Cancer Center at OU Medical Center in OKC! If you know of anyone who needs cancer treatment of any kind, I highly recommend Stephenson! I cannot say enough good things about all the doctors, nurses & staff. I love them so much that I brought them all some Cerreta's chocolates after a trip back to PHX last summer!

My chemo started in early February & by March 1st, my signature golden locks were gone. I kid you not when I say that losing my hair was the most traumatic part of the whole ordeal! My hair had been no shorter than shoulder-length since I was in 3rd grade. So, phantom ponytail grabs happened for at least a month or two. But I did have the joy of getting my entire bald head tattooed with Henna at the Medieval Fair in Norman! I was completely bald for about 5 months. I have a couple of wigs, but rarely wore them. Opted for beanies & ball caps, instead. Then my hair started growing back at the end of July & now I have a full head of curly locks! A look I have never had before & have been told that it may take 2 years for "my normal hair" to come back!

My treatment began with 4 months of chemo, as Triple Negative is a very aggresive form of breast cancer, so that way they could make sure that what they were using to treat my cancer was shrinking the tumor! Then I had a lumpectomy in June, in which my surgeon removed the tissue that used to contain my tumor & the surrounding tissue. And he only had to remove 2 lymph nodes, as he found that the cancer had not spread and in fact, it was completely gone! But because it was just a lumpectomy, then I had to "patiently" wait about 6 weeks, while my body recovered, before I could enjoy 4 weeks of radiation!

So, I was finally able to come back to AZ in early September! I got to drive to LA & go to the UCLA game with my sister & some friends & then came back to Norman at the end of that month for some follow-up appts & attended the Tech game, as well!

I was back in the OK for 3 weeks before Thanksgiving for more follow-up appts & to pick up my Honda car, as it had blown its AC compressor at the end of August & I opted trailer it home to my mechanic in PHX.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had my biopsy in PHX & was actually driving to Norman for the holidays last year when I got the call telling me that the spot they found during the mammogram was indeed cancer. I had just crossed over from New Mexico into the Texass panhandle, so, Texass sucks, again!!! ❌

Life has a way of educating you on things you never knew existed...just be patient & listen. ☘

So glad you were able to beat it!
Lost my sister to Breast Cancer last year, she was 48 with 3 young kids. She fought a long battle for 9 yrs but the Lord was ready to have her with him. Gone way too soon.
376121_20180620.jpg

Now that we've put those Cowgirls in their place, I thought I might fill y'all in on how my life has changed in the last year...and no, iasooner1, no grands, as I told you before, I'm not old enough to be a Gigi, yet!

It's been almost a year since I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer. It was just Stage 1 & the tumor was only 1 cm in size. So, with zero family history of breast cancer, I was ridiculously fortunate that we caught it when we did! ❤

I moved back to Norman to be near family & received all my treatments at the Stephenson Cancer Center at OU Medical Center in OKC! If you know of anyone who needs cancer treatment of any kind, I highly recommend Stephenson! I cannot say enough good things about all the doctors, nurses & staff. I love them so much that I brought them all some Cerreta's chocolates after a trip back to PHX last summer!

My chemo started in early February & by March 1st, my signature golden locks were gone. I kid you not when I say that losing my hair was the most traumatic part of the whole ordeal! My hair had been no shorter than shoulder-length since I was in 3rd grade. So, phantom ponytail grabs happened for at least a month or two. But I did have the joy of getting my entire bald head tattooed with Henna at the Medieval Fair in Norman! I was completely bald for about 5 months. I have a couple of wigs, but rarely wore them. Opted for beanies & ball caps, instead. Then my hair started growing back at the end of July & now I have a full head of curly locks! A look I have never had before & have been told that it may take 2 years for "my normal hair" to come back!

My treatment began with 4 months of chemo, as Triple Negative is a very aggresive form of breast cancer, so that way they could make sure that what they were using to treat my cancer was shrinking the tumor! Then I had a lumpectomy in June, in which my surgeon removed the tissue that used to contain my tumor & the surrounding tissue. And he only had to remove 2 lymph nodes, as he found that the cancer had not spread and in fact, it was completely gone! But because it was just a lumpectomy, then I had to "patiently" wait about 6 weeks, while my body recovered, before I could enjoy 4 weeks of radiation!

So, I was finally able to come back to AZ in early September! I got to drive to LA & go to the UCLA game with my sister & some friends & then came back to Norman at the end of that month for some follow-up appts & attended the Tech game, as well!

I was back in the OK for 3 weeks before Thanksgiving for more follow-up appts & to pick up my Honda car, as it had blown its AC compressor at the end of August & I opted trailer it home to my mechanic in PHX.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had my biopsy in PHX & was actually driving to Norman for the holidays last year when I got the call telling me that the spot they found during the mammogram was indeed cancer. I had just crossed over from New Mexico into the Texass panhandle, so, Texass sucks, again!!! ❌

Life has a way of educating you on things you never knew existed...just be patient & listen. ☘

God bless you.

So glad you were able to beat it!
Lost my sister to Breast Cancer last year, she was 48 with 3 young kids. She fought a long battle for 9 yrs but the Lord was ready to have her with him. Gone way too soon.
376121_20180620.jpg

OUSOONER67, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your sister. Yes, 48 is way too young. Sending prayers for her children from the desert.

I was barely 57 when I was diagnosed & now at 58, I am hoping to follow in my grandmother's footsteps, by living a long, long life. Mimi was 94 when she passed & she had one cousin that made it to 99 & another cousin who made it to 100. I know some people don't want to live that long...but as long as I am relatively healthy, why not continue to hang around & root on my SOONERS! ❤

OUSOONER67, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your sister. Yes, 48 is way too young. Sending prayers for her children from the desert.

I was barely 57 when I was diagnosed & now at 58, I am hoping to follow in my grandmother's footsteps, by living a long, long life. Mimi was 94 when she passed & she had one cousin that made it to 99 & another cousin who made it to 100. I know some people don't want to live that long...but as long as I am relatively healthy, why not continue to hang around & root on my SOONERS! ❤

TY SB! Its hard I know, I cried like a baby the day my other sister told me in 2009 that they were going to do a double masectomy, hope I spelled that right. No matter my pain I know her 3 kids have had it a lot rougher than I have had dealing with it. I had her for 48 yrs and they had her for a few short yrs in comparison. Life is never fair but all we can do is look forward to the day we will see them again and we will, that I have no doubt. I am so glad you have fought the battle bravely and have come out the other side better than ever. I hope one day we will find a cure for this awful disease that takes so many wonderful Mothers, Sisters and Spouses away from us. God bless Sockless and thanks so much for the kind words.

What an uplifting story.
Lost my brother 10 years ago at 52. As mentioned - way too early.
Don't think it will be in my lifetime (currently 61), but I think we are very close to find a cure for most cancers.
Glad you are back with us and feel the urge to share.
Thanks.
Merry Christmas (and many more).
God Bless.

Sockless, all of us here are just really glad about your now being cancer free, and looking forward to a long, curly headed life. Hang in there, girl.

We do miss the photo, even though it was dubbed.

I have never met or seen Sockless but I've always heard she is a sexy one...

Very glad you won your battle! And OUSOONER67, so sorry you lost your sister. Way too young!

Last edited:
I have never met or sen Sockless but I've always heard she was a sexy one...

Very glad you won your battle! And OUSOONER67, so sorry you lost your sister. Way too young!

Thanks Patriot. I didn't know what tough was until I saw a woman battling Cancer. We don't think of Women being as tough as they are but they are very very strong. A lot tougher and more brave than I am.

sockless is awesome. I will never forget and will always be grateful for her showing up at my sister in laws funeral and all the support as a great friend before and since. She was there when I needed a friend most. Simply an awesome person. Thanks again Jules!! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
sockless is awesome. I will never forget and will always be grateful for her showing up at my sister in laws funeral and all the support as a grest friend before and since. She was there when I needed a friend most. Simply an awesome person. Thanks again Jules!! Merry Christmas!

Slockless offered to go to New York to hand deliver the money we raised for Frankfangston and his wife.

Frank said he was not feeling well enough to have visitors.

Jules has a huge heart with empathy. She truly cares.

She is the best!

Slockless offered to go to New York to hand deliver the money we raised for Frankfangston and his wife.

Frank said he was not feeling well enough to have visitors.

Jules has a huge heart with empathy. She truly cares.

She is the best!

Thanks for the kind words, bullmarket. I finally got to take a trip to NYC about 4 years ago. Would've been really special to have taken a drive out on Long Island...to West Babylon, was it? I miss that wise man! ❤

sockless is awesome. I will never forget and will always be grateful for her showing up at my sister in laws funeral and all the support as a great friend before and since. She was there when I needed a friend most. Simply an awesome person. Thanks again Jules!! Merry Christmas!

Frou, you have always had a special place in my heart...and I just knew I needed to be there that day. Your brother & nephew were dealt a blow that was truly unimaginable. I would have driven a thousand miles to be there.

Thanks, again, for the unexpected chat this evening. You made my heart smile. ❤

One of these days we old school members should all meet up at a home game! But maybe like in late October, so it won't be so brutally steamy!

Thanks for the kind words, bullmarket. I finally got to take a trip to NYC about 4 years ago. Would've been really special to have taken a drive out on Long Island...to West Babylon, was it? I miss that wise man! ❤

My bucket list contained dining at the Sunburnt Cow in Manhatten. Someone told me it has closed. I was saddened to hear Ernie's Place in Brooklyn has closed.

Remember when I said that "I had just crossed over from New Mexico into the Texass panhandle," when I got the call last year?

Well, today, just 2 days shy of the 1 year anniversary of getting the call that changed my life forever, I took the Ivy Road exit on I-40 eastbound in the Texas Panhandle, again. This time it was just to have a look around & see what was at the end of that road. I must say, I didn't expect to get choked up today, considering last year I shed not a single tear when I got the news. But it was a beautiful day for a drive...even in Texass...with bluebird skies! So, if you ever find yourself on that particular stretch of I-40, pull off on Ivy Road & enjoy the beauty & the peace & quiet & know that I have taken that exit a few times in this last year. ❤

ADVERTISEMENT