ADVERTISEMENT

Healthy Dakota Austin vs Injured Zach Sanchez?

OUdrifter

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jul 15, 2001
Is a healthy Dakota Austin a better option than a dinged up Sanchez? Seems kind of obvious to me.

Sanchez limped up the ramp to the locker room after the game, he clearly played hurt for much of the game. While he did have a great interception he also got burned much of the night. Thankfully, Stidham did not see the wide open opportunities vs Sanchez, and when he did the passes were dropped thankfully. One would have been a BU TD had the receiver not dropped it, Sanchez was burned badly on that play. Props to Zach for playing through the pain, he is a phenomenal player. Just curious what everyone thinks of the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2C Sooner
That's a really good question, but it should be expanded to any slightly injured player versus the back up. I think if Dakota would have been in the game, you would have seen a lot more passes in his direction. I maybe wrong, but Baylor went after Jordan. Big mistake on their part. Hope you get some good responses.

I think I would take a Dakota Austin over a healthy Sanchez, especially in a game where getting beat deep can hurt you. I see Sanchez as someone who can make great plays, but have great breakdowns. I prefer someone who just keeps it in front.

Good question. Austin has played very well this season, so I think Mike should have alternated Sanchez and Austin vs. Baylor. And if Sanchez is still gimpy this week in practice, why not alternate them or sit him out vs. TCU, especially if Boykin is sidelined for this weekend.

Reactions: Oklabama
I'll go with the staffs decision on who plays and not just at cornerback. We see the players on game days for x amount of plays. The coaches may not be perfect but they know more than any of us. They see the players day in and day out. Practice, film room, strength and conditioning. They know class attendance and academic standings. I'm going to sit on the couch and decide who should be playing out there that day? I know this carpenter doesn't have a clue of the inner workings of this team. I dont think any poster on here does. That's not in my wheelhouse and I know that. I know I can teach someone to build something. Coaching, no I admit I don't much about big time football. I'm not talking about Pop Warner either. I remember my coach was a hardass that's about it.

Reactions: Oklabama
I agree with Mister Moses. I wouldn't want to be picked to make that call sitting here in Tulsa. Evidently the coaching staff that has a say into who plays felt Sanchez was the best choice. I hope Zach's injury heals soon because even mental toughness isn't good enough sometimes, but I admire his tenacity. And I hope he is still playing for the Sooners next season.

Is a healthy Dakota Austin a better option than a dinged up Sanchez? Seems kind of obvious to me.

Sanchez limped up the ramp to the locker room after the game, he clearly played hurt for much of the game. While he did have a great interception he also got burned much of the night. Thankfully, Stidham did not see the wide open opportunities vs Sanchez, and when he did the passes were dropped thankfully. One would have been a BU TD had the receiver not dropped it, Sanchez was burned badly on that play. Props to Zach for playing through the pain, he is a phenomenal player. Just curious what everyone thinks of the situation.
On the pass that Thomas intercepted, Sanchez was toasted and had the ball been thrown correctly the receiver was going for 6. I think the QB under threw that and other passes after he got slammed by Tapper earlier. He seemed off after that. But as others have pointed out they, including Sanchez held that great group of Baylor receivers in check all night for the most part.

I believe that Sanchez at 80% is better than Dakota Austin at 100%. Dakota did a good job filling in for Zach, but he's not the same player that Zach is. Yes, Zach does fall for the double move, but the majority of the time he does a good job. Zach has very good ball skills, and he does a good job of tackling in space. In my opinion, Dakota doesn't tackle anywhere close to as good as Zach does.

Sanchez did not play hurt for much of the game. He played hurt after he re twisted his ankle after his interception. He gave up two passes in coverage after. None before. He was mostly on their stud soph receiver when in man. Forget his name. Number 9. Cannon I think. He gave up the scramble touchdown early 4th when Bond busted and let the qb out of the pocket. Had a free shot but missed. He also gave up a throw late first half when we were backed off in prevent with 20 seconds left.

If his ankle does not improve from what was likely pretty sore the last two days, then Austin is a great option. But he is not as good as Sanchez.

Reactions: runningback43
That's a really good question, but it should be expanded to any slightly injured player versus the back up. I think if Dakota would have been in the game, you would have seen a lot more passes in his direction. I maybe wrong, but Baylor went after Jordan. Big mistake on their part. Hope you get some good responses.

Baylor wasn't going after Jordan; they were trying to go to their AA receiver, who JT was covering all night. So, it wasn't a case of the QB looking for Thomas and throwing his direction, it was the QB looking for his best receiver to try to make a play. JT did a tremendous job on him. I think he had three catches for 50 something yards.

Baylor wasn't going after Jordan; they were trying to go to their AA receiver, who JT was covering all night. So, it wasn't a case of the QB looking for Thomas and throwing his direction, it was the QB looking for his best receiver to try to make a play. JT did a tremendous job on him. I think he had three catches for 50 something yards.
I think his longest catch came when they got him matched up on Johnson, not Thomas. Thomas did a great job on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT