ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkins named starter for Auburn game

As much as I still think Arnold can be the guy, you have to try Hawkins to start at Auburn. We need a spark offensively and as bad as the line is playing we need Hawkins ability to cut bait and run.

With the line, we may need 2 QBs this year. But they did start playing a bit better late against Tennessee.

I’m not surprised.
My hope is that it ignites a fire in Arnold to improve.

He's clearly pressing behind a bad oline. Recipe for disaster. I wasn't big on running him as much as we were but now with either QB there's no choice.

I'm rooting for Hawkins too but I think we're going to see similar struggles from him but he's more mobile and was definitely making faster decisions.

I doubt Arnold sticks around after this season. I hate it, but that is the nature of the sport now.
If Arnold doesn’t win back his starting role, he’s definitely gone. If he wins it back but isn’t successful, he’s probably gone. So I’m guessing we fans will have a very good idea before the season is over.

If he can't win back his job, I don't think we're missing out on anything. Spencer Rattler 2.0.
Agreed. Sometimes the employer makes bad choices and gives the wrong man the job based on hype. I hate this for JA just lke everyone else but he failed to produce.

I doubt Arnold sticks around after this season. I hate it, but that is the nature of the sport now.

He'll be a fine quarterback if he is surrounded by elite talent like he had in high school, playing against lesser competition. There are some QB's who can take the team on their shoulders when the team is depleted. I'm not sure if Arnold will ever be in that category in the future.

Reactions: Oklabama
We got a lot to see before making heavy judgements on either guy but yeah I think it's a safe bet you'll see Arnold in Starkville next season if Hawkins blows up.

Lebby is 1-3 and plays Texas Saturday. Arnold could probably find a better landing spot next year. 😂

The game is way to loud/noisy for Arnold right now, it's when you have too much noise going on in your head. The game slows down, when you hear your heart beat with your helmet on, you can block out any and all distractions and make the play, he's not close to that level. He's kind of a Knight, great practice/blue jersey player, with a few great plays in games.

I’m wondering why Venables made this public so early this week instead of making the opposition prepare for 2 qbs ?
He said yesterday he didn't want it hanging over their heads all week.
I am guessing that means he knows JA still won't improve any, they gave him 4 1/2 games and I guess they figured they had seen enough for now. He went on to say JA has a bright future and he told him a bad week doesn't make a bad career.
So this week a 6 figure QB will ride the pine. Need to free up some of that money for some O Linemen.

And they get number 2 Georgia after that. I also believe they play Tenn and Ole Miss. Crap schedule like ours.
It is a crap schedule compared to other schools but in the end either a team is good enough to navigate it or not. Hopefully Hawkns at least makes OU look like a decent offense and if not for the D this team might be sitting at 1-3 instead of 3-1.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I spent some time this afternoon talking with an Allen Eagle long time season ticket holder. He was was not terribly impressed with Mike Hawkins. We'll see. He said Hawkins was too quick to bolt the pocket in high school. I told him that Hawkins might have to do that at OU, because our OL is so weak. At least he's quicker than J.A. But I wonder if any quarterback can be successful if we continue to not be able to block anybody.

I spent some time this afternoon talking with an Allen Eagle long time season ticket holder. He was was not terribly impressed with Mike Hawkins. We'll see. He said Hawkins was too quick to bolt the pocket in high school. I told him that Hawkins might have to do that at OU, because our OL is so weak. At least he's quicker than J.A. But I wonder if any quarterback can be successful if we continue to not be able to block anybody.
He was also just a junior in high school when he played for Allen. Was a much better qb when playing for Frisco Emerson, almost took them to the state title game. Wonder if we see more of Davon Mitchell (TE) they were teammates while at Allen.

Reactions: iasooner24
BV talked a bit about Mitchell in the last week, I thinkat the Tuesday presser. Don't remember the exact words, but the gist of it was that he had some growing up to do, and did it. He has even been a scout team player of the week. He's got mucho talent, but he's as old as a high school senior. In the spring, he looked no better than a third best TE, mayby fourth. He's been where he could just show up and be super in high school. He's not in hs any more. Again, not the exact words, but he's starting to get it. That would be nice. He's a man with a talented futere if he really does get it.

Reactions: iasooner24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT