ADVERTISEMENT

Has Boren changed his mind again?

Makes you wonder what has changed his mind? I wish it was along the lines of OU getting out of this conference but that aint it I am sure.

442dc4d37c2f53ab0f62efd2f99fa630.jpg

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Makes you wonder what has changed his mind? I wish it was along the lines of OU getting out of this conference but that aint it I am sure.

He probably doesn't want to cause any micro-aggressions in the conference. The Big 12 is a safe-space. Taking one side or the other would be racist and homophobic.

Last edited:
I think Boren hasn't changed his core goal. That goal was to expand the conference by two teams as a means to get a CCG and to put in place a Big XII Network. Texas has gotten heavy handed again, blocking a Big XII Network and insisting on another Texas team, to make the state of Texas presence in the conference bigger than it has ever been.

That dynamic is why the SWC fell apart two decades ago. If Texas insists on UHouston, and apparently they are, then Boren isn't for any expansion. That hasn't changed. And the conference already got a CCG. So since the hoity toity conference has gotten so not in favor of free speech, which means a school is no longer acceptable, if it has the same values that most all of us had for all of time until ten or 15 years ago, and some are insisting they the balance of power become more Texas bloc hindered, I'd be against expansion too.

For Boren, expanding the conference was not the ultimate goal. It was a means to the ultimate goal. Since one of the two primary goals was have a CCG and we do. And the other primary goal is to the detriment of half the conference, then a different means must be sought.

Boren true goal is to have the best possible athletic environment for all OU athletics. The old politician understands that there are ways to get there and ways not to. More than four Texas schools is not a good situation for OU.

Reactions: Steve91562
This is what caught my eye in the article, "Tramel says Oklahoma is not anti-expansion, rather OU is anti-expansion candidates. The central issue being finding candidates of equal stature to the schools that left."

Although I'm in favor of expanding the conference - Houston and Cincy are my top picks - good luck finding schools/programs of "equal stature" to A&M, Nebby and Mizzou.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised and disappointed by Boren's 180 degree turnaround on this issue. I'd much rather prefer to keep the B12 intact than see it dissolve and the conference schools scramble to find new homes.

This is what caught my eye in the article, "Tramel says Oklahoma is not anti-expansion, rather OU is anti-expansion candidates. The central issue being finding candidates of equal stature to the schools that left."

Although I'm in favor of expanding the conference - Houston and Cincy are my top picks - good luck finding schools/programs of "equal stature" to A&M, Nebby and Mizzou.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised and disappointed by Boren's 180 degree turnaround on this issue. I'd much rather prefer to keep the B12 intact than see it dissolve and the conference schools scramble to find new homes.

BYU, Colorado State, ND, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, sucsucsuc schools... or a match and an aTm built wood pile...

I really don't care if OU is cast as the bad guy in anything. Dump the fuel, light the match, and set this dumpster of a conference into the glorious full-blown dumpster fire that it is!!!
God...this conference really looks like a dysfunctional reality TV show.
Right now that is only BECAUSE of your university President.

Do you really think adding glorified commuter colleges to the Big XII was going to stabilize it? And have you looked into the academics of Memphis? BYU makes sense, but the political fallout would probably not be worth it. Cincy... meh. Maybe. UCONN, sure. But the geography sucks. Baylor has already embarrassed this conference, and with the government sniffing around at BYU because of all of the allegations of women being booted from school when they report they are raped, things could get ugly there. No thanks.

I see his about face as a net positive for this league. Schools like Houston and Cincy were NOT going to garner this league TV money. Let's be honest here, there are three things that move the TV needle with regards to $$$$ in this conference. Texas Football, Oklahoma Football, and to a lesser extent Kansas Basketball. That's it, the others of us are just along for the ride and are lucky to carry our weight. I'm smart enough to know that. BYU and perhaps UCONN would add value, but they are the only ones. If there is any chance we have of keeping this league together in 2025 it's gonna have to be fairly big money per school. Only BYU and maybe UCONN would not detract from what we currently have.

hOUston cOUgars have OU in it twice... They have a really good football team, right now... They did last year, as well. That is abOUt all...

Attendance at the Texas Dow Employee Credit Union Stadium is... crappy at best... It seats 40,000 plus... Average attendance at home for 2015? 33,730... They hosted the American Championship Game against a top 20 team and didn't sell out. There are high school teams that have drawn more fans to a game... Only two sell outs for home games in 2015, against #25 Memphis and #16 Navy... A so called rivalry game vs SMU drew a whopping 25,000 fans...

Is that what the Big XII wants????

Reactions: gocats5611
Cincinnati has a 40,000 seat stadium as well, and they don't sell out... Well, twice They did in 2015... Miami and U Conn...

hOUston cOUgars have OU in it twice... They have a really good football team, right now... They did last year, as well. That is abOUt all...

Attendance at the Texas Dow Employee Credit Union Stadium is... crappy at best... It seats 40,000 plus... Average attendance at home for 2015? 33,730... They hosted the American Championship Game against a top 20 team and didn't sell out. There are high school teams that have drawn more fans to a game... Only two sell outs for home games in 2015, against #25 Memphis and #16 Navy... A so called rivalry game vs SMU drew a whopping 25,000 fans...

Is that what the Big XII wants????
I would bet that if OU or Texas or any name brand team ever had to play Houston in Houston, it would be at Reliant Stadium.

I would bet that if OU or Texas or any name brand team ever had to play Houston in Houston, it would be at Reliant Stadium.

Texas would have more fans there, OU might...

BYU didn't sell out all their games last year... Lowest home attendance? 56,015, or 14,000 more than UH's highest for last year... That compares to Colorado/Mizzou...

In order to bring a Nebraska/aTm type... Notre Dame or a power 5 school has to be considered... Otherwise, the Big XII is becoming a minor conference...

Last edited:
I don't think Boren changed his mind at all. Did he ever say he was for or against expansion?
Seems everything I have read is his opinion on where everything stands.
When it appears to him that expansion is not gong to happen, he is said to be against expansion.
When he says he thinks expansion might happen, he is said to be for it.
The only thing I see him as being for is making a decision.
As for against, I agree with the comment that he is probably anti-expansion candidates.
I think I am in that same boat. I'd like the B12 to expand, but not with second or third tier schools.
I would have been in favor of Clemson, Florida State, etc.
But UH (johnny-come-lately and will probably leave sooner than later), Cinn, UConn, BYU, etc just don't do anything for me.

Oh, also, I think we probably agree that when we are talking expansion, it is driven by football.

OU verses Houston was sold out at Reliant.

And was considered a neutral site... I don't know how many OU fans vs. UH fans there were... but, if they can't sell out for 40,000 with a top 20 team playing for a conference championship, are they really that viable for expansion?

And was considered a neutral site... I don't know how many OU fans vs. UH fans there were... but, if they can't sell out for 40,000 with a top 20 team playing for a conference championship, are they really that viable for expansion?

I'm going to guess the game was about 60-40 UofH fans. That would mean that about 42,000' Houston fans.
This was a big game, so there were a lot of Houstonians at the game without an allegiance to either team.
They just came because the game was the first of the year and was in their back yard.
I saw lots of shirts/hats from places like Mich, Ohio St, Texas, Penn St - all over.
Though sold out, the ywere advertising the game and tickets still available the week of the game.
It wasn't that UofH fans couldn't buy more tickets due to OU fans buying them all up.
So about 40-45,000 is the max for UofH, even for a big game in a big stadium.
PtLavaca's point is well grounded.

The #6 ranked Cougars, coming off a victory over OU and in a prime time revenge game vs UCONN could not sell out last night. If all 42000 UH students attended they'd fill the stadium but apparently they have better things to do.

That's the catch of a giant city. Texans, Astros, Rockets and countless other nightlife activities. Why go to a college sporting event?

The area in and around the University of Houston, Hobby Airport, etc. was (and is) an area of Houston I wanted no part of.
If Coach Herman can sustain his great work and last ten years there, he's done an amazing job....but I'm not sure if kissing his entire team before games is much of a recruiting perk, although in this day and age, maybe it is.

The area in and around the University of Houston, Hobby Airport, etc. was (and is) an area of Houston I wanted no part of.
If Coach Herman can sustain his great work and last ten years there, he's done an amazing job....but I'm not sure if kissing his entire team before games is much of a recruiting perk, although in this day and age, maybe it is.
It's just a little kiss, some might like it. Lol They should just take all the Texas college teams and put them in a conference called "BIG EGO". Been to Houston once, don't care to go back.

Having left Houston in 1986 and returning each year to see family and friends, I no longer have a desire to live (retire) there. While there's plenty of cultural diversity, it's too damn big and too damn hot and humid....and it's not the same town it was 25-30 years ago.

Reactions: soonerfastnloud
Having left Houston in 1986 and returning each year to see family and friends, I no longer have a desire to live (retire) there. While there's plenty of cultural diversity, it's too damn big and too damn hot and humid....and it's not the same town it was 25-30 years ago.

Been in Houston for 23.5 years now. You are right about it not being the same.
One thing that will keep me here after my job is history....a beautiful 3-1/2 year old granddaughter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT