ADVERTISEMENT

Had a long talk with a good friend of mine who's an ex stoops era player

[zoomLENS]

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2011
We talked about all this SAE business and racism and culture. Since the FB team has taken such a stand and are as a group outraged, he suggested that the team should look at themselves in the mirror as he contends that the football locker room is one of the more racially divisive places on campus. Here's somethings he came up with. Another guy there was a trainer and pretty much agreed and I just kind of took notes.

1. Rap culture is extremely pervasive among most of the players (who are black) and there is no compromise with what music plays in the locker room or pregame. The N word is used on the regular and if you complain then be prepared to field harassment and insults.

2. Guys get in trouble all the time for things in both academics and team rules and it never leaves the football offices. The football offices insulate the team from expectations of regular students concerning conduct, legal matters, and academics.

3. The football team along with their facilities are the least inclusive of all buildings on campus and are hostile to other programs that have to use their facilities. Most other sports hate having to use football facilities. He told me stories of his baseball player friends working out at the Switzer center facility and was racially harassed by football players that weren't supposed to be in there at that time and apparently that was common.

4. Hip hop culture and rap culture isolate white and other nationalities when recruiting. He said he hosted a couple of linemen and a linebacker recruit that felt really uncomfortable with the street culture of the locker room and at football meetings.

These are things he mentioned. We only brought them up to discuss the football teams bold reaction to this video. The point was merely to say that if you were going to take this stance then it need to be said that the team has a lot of work to do. Starting with no distraction going into a season of 8-5 getting whacked in a bowl. Team needs to focus and practice all they can and discontinue the feigned outrage that is being displayed each day. Just thought I'd share. These aren't my opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.