ADVERTISEMENT

Grier sitting out bowl game

Eh, downside of a playoff is it emphasizes how meaningless bowl games are. Money for a 2nd or 3rd rounder is still good (will likely be higher as QBs are few in this draft and lately the trend is for needy teams to overdraft for a QB). I don't blame these guys one bit for skipping a truly meaningless game. Gives the next players up a chance at real game-time.

Very bad trend. These guys would not even get the opportunity to play at the next level if not for being given the opportunity to play College Football on a scholarship at their respective Schools. Finish out your commitment to your School and your team and play unless you are hurt of course.
Spoiled pampered wusses in my opinion.
As far as being meaningless bowls because of the playoffs I disagree.
A Bowl Game is a tremendous opportunity for a Program and I would bet most players are thrilled to go Bowling vs sitting at home.
If I were the Coach guys that want to sit would be off the team immediately and would definately not travel with the team but I am old school, you start something you finish it.

Referring to a bowl game as meaningless because it's not a final four game is nonsense.
For the players, coaches and the fan bases of teams going to bowl games, it's not meaningless. Nor is it meaningless to those of us who have followed CFB many years and like watching intersectional match-ups. Some of Oklahoma's great victories were in bowl games without national championships at stake.
Obviously, it can be argued that there are too many bowls, but that's about money and the sponsors....and as long as there's money to be made, the excessive number of bowls isn't going away and might even expand.
For a fan like me, I simply pick and chose those bowls I'm interested in and ignore those I'm not.
For teams like West Virginia and Syracuse and any bowl team, there are 15 extra practices to look at the younger players (like having extra spring drills), traveling to places that the players haven't been to as a reward, and good exposure for each team.....and a payday for them.
I'm sure, in time, the playoff format will expand to 8 or more teams. That's no concern for me since it's out of my control and won't impact my life....but as it stands now, I like the controversy and debate that accompanies the CFB playoffs. I think it's good for the sport. And I think an 8-team format will still have controversy and debate.
As far as Grier avoiding the game, I think it's a slap in the face to West Virgina's team and coaching staff and fan base.

Very bad trend. These guys would not even get the opportunity to play at the next level if not for being given the opportunity to play College Football on a scholarship at their respective Schools. Finish out your commitment to your School and your team and play unless you are hurt of course.
Spoiled pampered wusses in my opinion.
As far as being meaningless bowls because of the playoffs I disagree.
A Bowl Game is a tremendous opportunity for a Program and I would bet most players are thrilled to go Bowling vs sitting at home.
If I were the Coach guys that want to sit would be off the team immediately and would definately not travel with the team but I am old school, you start something you finish it.

Utter disrespect for their fans, teammates and program. It’s all about ME. We had a defensive lineman that essentially did the same thing mid-season a few years ago.

Utter disrespect for their fans, teammates and program. It’s all about ME. We had a defensive lineman that essentially did the same thing mid-season a few years ago.

Nothing says more to an NFL team than "I am all about me not the team" than sitting out a game. Draft someone that is not a quitter like these babies sitting out.

For him to be given a second chance by the Mountaineers, then he pulls this crap, is inexcusable. I would be pretty disappointed if I had bought a bowl ticket. One of their OL also has elected to sit out. If you are injured or fighting a real injury that is one thing, but selfish action if you are fit and able. The NCAA needs to do something about that.

For him to be given a second chance by the Mountaineers, then he pulls this crap, is inexcusable. I would be pretty disappointed if I had bought a bowl ticket. One of their OL also has elected to sit out. If you are injured or fighting a real injury that is one thing, but selfish action if you are fit and able. The NCAA needs to do something about that.

It’s unlikely the Mountaineers win without Grier so to think it’s okay to let down his coach, teammates and fans is nuts. It will matter and he won’t be forgotten.

Against Syracuse....seems to be kind of a F you to Mountaineers for a second or third rounder.

I have no problem with this at all. He gave everything he had to West Virginia. The Bowl game is. nothing but a huge money making exhibition game. He gets nothing out of it but the risk of destroying his pro career.

What needs to happen is the 'next guy up' for these games. This is a wonderful opportunity for the fans to learn about their next QB. We all need to learn to embrace this. The season is over for every team out there but the final four that made the playoffs.

I believe this is more fake news. I think both of the kids will play for WVU.
----------------------
Well, on the above comment on the "fake news" as it turns out I was the one who got the "fake news". It is kind of funny. When I saw this post I did a google and a story popped up that both Grier and another WVU player were going to play in their bowl game. That was fake news.

Sorry for the mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
So the bowl wins over Syracuse, Tennessee, Florida State (1979-1980), Penn State, Auburn, Nebraska, Houston, Virginia, Oregon, Stanford were just “money making exhibition games” ?

So the bowl wins over Syracuse, Tennessee, Florida State (1979-1980), Penn State, Auburn, Nebraska, Houston, Virginia, Oregon, Stanford were just “money making exhibition games” ?

Nope... because there was no playoff. The only way to combat this situation is to expand the playoff to keep the top players around longer.

I have no problem with players sitting out bowl games as well. Bowl games are meaningless, unless it's the Orange, Rose, Sugar, Cotton or Fiesta. Bowl games were created to be exhibitions in the first place.

"Meaningless bowls".
A new phrase used by millennials ?

The problem is that now that we have a so called playoff these other bowl games are meaningless. I am actually torn in the middle of My view. On one hand I understand they dont want to risk a career ending injury if they know they have a shot at the NFL but on the other hand they enjoyed all the accoloids throughout the season as being known as one of the best on the team.

It seems to me that they wouldn’t want to let their team down knowing that by playing it gives them the best chance to win vs losing. Sometimes being selfish isnt the right thing to do. In the end if they are not playing then dont expect to be taken to the bowl game with the team to enjoy the gifts they get for participating.

Nope... because there was no playoff. The only way to combat this situation is to expand the playoff to keep the top players around longer.

Just my personal feelings. I see this just as I did when Neely, Rentzel and Grisham signed early and missed the 1965 Gator Bowl. I never forgave them for doing that to our team. Maybe Florida State still would have won if that group had played but we’ll never know. Ralph Neely is one reason I’ve never been a Dallas Cowboy fan. Hey, I was just as much a Sooner fan back then as I am now and it hurts when players you look up to screw you. I’m pretty sure Gomer was pissed too. I admit that I might hold a grudge for too long, but at 72 I don’t worry about it much. :cool:

Yes, yes they were. If you really think about it, all college and professional football games are money making entertainment.

BIG difference between the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and now: back then a 3rd or 4th rounder would need to become a star and earn a big enough payday to last a lifetime only after proving themselves through the end of their rookie contract.
Now, even 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders are making BIG bucks in their rookie contract. But, the higher the pick, the most guaranteed money. Draftees looking to go 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounds are risking big time by playing. If your team hasn't made the playoff, there's very little upside to playing in a bowl, and huge downside risk.

Times have changed. This very much seems like a "Get off my lawn!!" issue for some :p

Last edited:
I believe this is more fake news. I think both of the kids will play for WVU.
----------------------

Well, on the above comment on the "fake news" as it turns out I was the one who got the "fake news". It is kind of funny. When I saw this post I did a google and a story popped up that both Grier and another WVU player were going to play in their bowl game. That was what turned out to be fake news. Proves that one can never believe everything we see on the internet.

Sorry for the mistake

Yes, yes they were. If you really think about it, all college and professional football games are money making entertainment.

BIG difference between the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and now: back then a 3rd or 4th rounder would need to become a star and earn a big enough payday to last a lifetime only after proving themselves through the end of their rookie contract.
Now, even 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders are making BIG bucks in their rookie contract. But, the higher the pick, the most guaranteed money. Draftees looking to go 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounds are risking big time by playing. If your team hasn't made the playoff, there's very little upside to playing in a bowl, and huge downside risk.

Times have changed. This very much seems like a "Get off my lawn!!" issue for some :p
How did pro football get into this ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT