ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Games in Oklahoma Football History (Elite 8)

An incredibly weak list. But won three national titles and had the longest winning streak in college football history. None of his games made the top eight?

It's pretty interesting when some 30 year old guy starts evaluating 75 years of games.

An incredibly weak list. But won three national titles and had the longest winning streak in college football history. None of his games made the top eight?

It's pretty interesting when some 30 year old guy starts evaluating 75 years of games.
one word plaino....television

Wilkinson's best wins were the two over Maryland in the Orange Bowls played after the 1953 and 1955 seasons.
The 47 game winning streak was against opponents that won only 38% of their games including Notre Dame (2-8) and Texas (1-9) in 1956. Just the same, I hope that record is never broken.
Aside from the two Maryland Orange Bowl wins and in no particular order, I believe the 1971 and 1973 Texas games, the 1973 and 1974 Nebraska games, the 1971 USC game, the 2000 Texas game, the 1968 Tennessee Orange Bowl and the 1985 Penn State and 2000 Florida State Orange Bowls are pretty great as well.

Reactions: iasooner1
You're right about the competition, but there was a game in Boulder that was a pretty quality contest. Big come from behind that ended up 27-19 I think. And the Buffs were pretty good that season. And there were a couple of games against the Frogs, and maybe A&M once. That was before my time, but I remember reading about them.

I'd think the 1955 win (technically 1-1-56) over the Terps was the biggest one. In 1950, OU beat a 9-2 Longhorn team, whose only two losses were one loss teams. The score was 14-13. Bud won three natty's. No way that he doesn't have one win worthy of an OU top eights.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
You're right about the competition, but there was a game in Boulder that was a pretty quality contest. Big come from behind that ended up 27-19 I think. And the Buffs were pretty good that season. And there were a couple of games against the Frogs, and maybe A&M once. That was before my time, but I remember reading about them.

I'd think the 1955 win (technically 1-1-56) over the Terps was the biggest one. In 1950, OU beat a 9-2 Longhorn team, whose only two losses were one loss teams. The score was 14-13. Bud won three natty's. No way that he doesn't have one win worthy of an OU top eights.
I mentioned the two Maryland wins as Wilkinson's best wins as OU held Maryland to a single touchdown. The 1953 win, 7-0, I regard as Wilkinson's biggest win and belongs among the top 8 best wins. Maybe the second win, a come from behind 20-6 win two years later, was Wilkinson's second best.
Colorado played several close games with OU (1950-52-53-54-56-57), with teams having winning records. OU escaped a few close calls against Colorado in those games.
Wilkinson's last two quality wins were in 1962 with back to back wins at home vs Missouri (13-0) and Nebraska (34-6).

ADVERTISEMENT