ADVERTISEMENT

Great news. Riley no longer a candidate for UH job

I think there is another possibility here. I'm well known for taking up for coaches when the offense or defense screws up, because it's a lot more about players, than it is coaches. It's very very possible that the same deal is true in reverse here.

I think it is possible, that Baker is as good a quarterback as OU ever had. I'm even thinking that at the next level, he could be a guy as good as Drew Brees. Same talents.

My point is that I think Baker makes his OC look pretty good and vice versa. When I watch most college games, there are more than a few plays by most any team, when the protection is good, and the receiver runs a good route, and either the pass gets dropped, or the quarterback with everything else working, makes an uncatchable throw. Sometimes too hot at close range, or off the mark, or some other fault.

Baker still does that a little. The medicine ball he threw to Westbrook that led to his watching the rest of the day, was a good pass in terms of delivery, but it was a poor idea. Baker didn't protect his guy. That safety was sitting on him. But we almost start to take for granted how often Baker's throws are right on the money. We played in the snow, and his throws were where they should have been 90-95% of the time. Pretty much the same thing, in Bedlam. Riley deserves credit for a good bit of that. But Baker has been so consistent for the whole conference schedule. And he fits it into tight windows a lot.

I think Riley might be considered a little too young to be the man at a P5 school that expects ten win seasons as soon as immediately. Obviously there are other places where that can happen. Or you could include schools like Louisville who is a 21st century P5 school with a mid major history. Houston is as good as that. So there are other places where you can make your mark. Riley is exactly one month older than my oldest. At 33, he's a little short of seasoning. He's at the perfect place for it.

If he can show an offense that does all this two years from now, when he's doing it with a different quarterback, different running backs, and a diiferent OLine, then there is no doubt he's the primary factor. In the meantime, he couldn't be at a better place to finalize his resume` as an assistant coach. I think it's a decent chance we don't lose him until after the 2018 season. Or even later.

Barry got his shot at 35.9. That's where Riley will be in two years. He'll have proven all he needs to by then. And if things go great, and we get to eight or maybe even nine, then the best of the best will come calling. Maybe we go back to back, and Bob decides it's the right time to go watch his boys play every Saturday. And Lincoln steps up.

The last two times we hired OUr OC to take over the program, one was named Wilkinson and the other was named Switzer. Maybe we can get Lincoln to change his name to Bill, to keep the B tradition, alive.

Last edited:
I think there is another possibility here. I'm well known for taking up for coaches when the offense or defense screws up, because it's a lot more about players, than it is coaches. It's very very possible that the same deal is true in reverse here.

I think it is possible, that Baker is as good a quarterback as OU ever had. I'm even thinking that at the next level, he could be a guy as good as Drew Breez. Same talents.

My point is that I think Baker makes his OC look pretty good and vice versa. When I watch most college games, there are more than a few plays by most any team, when the protection is good, and the receiver runs a good route, and either the pass gets dropped, or the quarterback with everything else working, makes an uncatchable throw. Sometimes too hot at close range, or off the mark, or some other fault.

Baker still does that a little. The medicine ball he threw to Westbrook that led to his watching the rest of the day, was a good pass in terms of delivery, but it was a poor idea. Baker didn't protect his guy. That safety was sitting on him. But we almost start to take for granted how often Baker's throws are right on the money. We played in the snow, and his throws were where they should have been 90-95% of the time. Pretty much the same thing, in Bedlam. Riley deserves credit for a good bit of that. But Baker has been so consistent for the whole conference schedule. And he fits it into tight windows a lot.

I think Riley might be considered a little too young to be the man at a P5 school that expects ten win seasons as soon as immediately. Obviously there are other places where that can happen. Or you could include schools like Louisville who is a 21st century P5 school with a mid major history. Houston is as good as that. So there are other places where you can make your mark. Riley is exactly one month older than my oldest. At 33, he's a little short of seasoning. He's at the perfect place for it.

If he can show an offense that does all this two years from now, when he's doing it with a different quarterback, different running backs, and a diiferent OLine, then there is no doubt he's the primary factor. In the meantime, he couldn't be at a better place to finalize his resume` as an assistant coach. I think it's a decent chance we don't lose him until after the 2018 season. Or even later.

Barry got his shot at 35.9. That's where Riley will be in two years. He'll have proven all he needs to by then. And if things go great, and we get to eight or maybe even nine, then the best of the best will come calling. Maybe we go back to back, and Bob decides it's the right time to go watch his boys play every Saturday. And Lincoln steps up.

The last two times we hired OUr OC to take over the program, one was named Wilkinson and the other was named Switzer. Maybe we can get Lincoln to change his name to Bill, to keep the B tradition, alive.

Plaino, you are a talented wordsmith. I've always admired that about you. We will never agree on specific ideologies, but I read your posts for ones like this. I love it. Wouldn't it be great to win #8 and #9 with Bob at the helm, then Lincoln begin a new chapter! Kudos.

I'm glad that Riley is not the front-runner for the UH job. He may get some other looks as the coaching carousel starts to wind up, but I'm thinking he could use a couple more years of tutelage under Stoops before he gets his first HC gig.

I think a lot of guys get too anxious and end up taking jobs at schools where there is very little chance of making a difference instead of biding their time, building a resume and taking advantage of elite mentors like Bob Stoops did. Sumlin and Leach are the only OU assistants that have had any success. Wilson and Long took on bad jobs. Mangino did a great job at a terrible place, but got the boot anyway. I'd like to see Riley be patient for a real opportunity. If he continues to do the job for Bob, he will be get his chance at good school.

A guy on the pay board summed it up best...

"Bad news for Lincoln...but great news for us!!"

I wouldn't say that's even a remotely average way to put it.

Houston is a stepping stone and if Riley has been the beneficiary of Baker, Perine, Mixon, Shepard and Dede making him look more prepared than he truly is, failure at Houston could be a substantial setback.

Repeat his current results for a couple more seasons and he could be the premier target for premier programs...maybe even the one he currently resides in.

I wouldn't say that's even a remotely average way to put it.

Houston is a stepping stone and if Riley has been the beneficiary of Baker, Perine, Mixon, Shepard and Dede making him look more prepared than he truly is, failure at Houston could be a substantial setback.

Repeat his current results for a couple more seasons and he could be the premier target for premier programs...maybe even the one he currently resides in.
Great confidence in the guy for mentioning Riley and "failure at Houston" in the same paragraph.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Great confidence in the guy for mentioning Riley and "failure at Houston" in the same paragraph.

I don't see any problem with bc's comment. I think you may be reading something into his comment that is not there. I took his comment to mean that Riley has had some great players to work with at OU and it would be in his best interest to stay on as OU's OC before moving on to his first HC gig too soon. If he moves to soon and is not ready or "fails," regardless of what program he goes to, that would be a huge setback for him.

I don't see any problem with bc's comment. I think you may be reading something into his comment that is not there. I took his comment to mean that Riley has had some great players to work with at OU and it would be in his best interest to stay on as OU's OC before moving on to his first HC gig too soon. If he moves to soon and is not ready or "fails," regardless of what program he goes to, that would be a huge setback for him.
That and the fact that it appears that Lincoln Riley said "no" to Houston, not the other way around...

Yup.

I have full confidence in Riley as an OC but being "the guy"?

Let him develop more responsibility in our program and fine tune his scheme. Build his recruiting base and then cherry pick the job he wants.

Reactions: iasooner1
Yup.

I have full confidence in Riley as an OC but being "the guy"?

Let him develop more responsibility in our program and fine tune his scheme. Build his recruiting base and then cherry pick the job he wants.
Thing is, nothing in the future is for certain. An assistant that is a hot name now, can end up falling off that list in future years. So it's a roll of the dice turning down jobs, cuz something better may never materialize.
So whether Riley turned down the job, or got turned down I still feel the same way..."Bad news for Lincoln...great news for us"!!

Reactions: Huntin Hard
You can be a great coordinator for a great power five program 4-5 years and that will give you a shot at a good power 5 opening, not a mid major. Swoops is an excellent example, Muschamp, Kiffin, Sark, Crist, Narduzzi... You don't have to go the mid major route to be a HC.

That and the fact that it appears that Lincoln Riley said "no" to Houston, not the other way around...

Yup...........

Though it’s possible Houston could backtrack, Kiffin has been operating as if he will become the next Houston coach as of Wednesday night.

As of Wednesday, Houston had eliminated Les Miles as a candidate and was deliberating between Kffin and its internal candidates, most prominently defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley had been a candidate but pulled out Wednesday.

Riley is waiting for a better opportunity than Houston, a program that historically has been the "black sheep" of Texas football, as much as I don't like saying it. Herman's departure may be something that Houston won't recover from, just as it was nearing respectability.
Since it was mentioned earlier concerning who gets the blame when the offense or defense screws up, I don't believe it's a complicated question. A team, by my definition, includes coaches and players, and they win as a team and lose as a team....together. I've seen enough football to have witnessed blunders both on the field and on the sidelines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT