ADVERTISEMENT

Great Article to read

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009

Here is part of it below and it is dead on.

It’s Year 3, and Venables still doesn’t appear to have an understanding of his Oklahoma program or the situation the Sooners find themselves in. One early fourth-down decision wouldn’t have flipped what became a 34-3 loss, but field goals were never going to beat Texas.

It’s unacceptable for a program like Oklahoma to be in this position at this point in a coach’s tenure, with zero answers on offense, a leaky offensive line and a messy quarterback situation of their own making.

For the second time in three years, Venables’ Oklahoma team was blown out by the Longhorns and failed to score a touchdown. That never happened under Lincoln Riley. It never happened under Bob Stoops. It happened once to John Blake, and he was fired at the end of that season. From 1965 to 2021, Oklahoma scored three or fewer points against its Red River rivals just once. It has now happened twice under Venables.

Below is from CBS Sports.

Oklahoma's problems run deep​

The Sooners made a major quarterback change, slotting true freshman Michael Hawkins Jr. into the lineup. But after the blowout loss to Texas, Oklahoma's problems are just getting started. OU allowed 11 tackles for loss and five sacks in the loss as the offensive line completely failed to handle the Texas rush. The running backs combined for 55 yards. No receivers created much of anything after the catch. Offensive coordinator Seth Littrell dialed up lots of motion and quarterback movement to try and give the offense a little life, but the pieces just aren't there for Oklahoma to compete in this league.

Sad truth is OU is in bad shape and there is no quick fix. 2 blowout losses to Texass in 3 yrs is enough for me to say bye to Brent, add in all the other crap and if up to me he would be gone at seasons end and zero assistants would be retained but it will never happen. I didn't like the hire from day one and let it be known but was hopeful I would be proven wrong, he just aint it. I also would like to see Bob have less of a finger in the program. I blame him mostly for this mess, the bringing back of Mike Stoops, hiring Riley then Riley taking over after Bobs retirement and now Venables, both of which I think Bob pushed for.

Not that what I think matters but its what I think anyway.

There will be no rebuild as long as the portal and NIL have free reign. The programs willing to put up big money are still going to attract the best players available. The portal will catch all the players that want playing time they didn’t get each season. You can’t build anything cohesive and we aren’t the only ones having to deal with this. Until the portal and NIL have some dam rules to follow like transfer restrictions and a NIL cap……this is what you get. The whole thing just came about while we were weak and it’s not going to be easy to build anything cohesive and long term. I dam sure would not want to be BV in this position at all.

Here's an infuriating article... Another week of Seth saying, "I've got to do better.... We were almost there.". WTF? We need immediate changes. It's time to call on interim coaching and get prepared for a thorough coaching search in December.

My girls and son in law use to give me hell when BV was the DC here many years ago when I would catch myself saying “ That damn BV defense stinks” in his later years. I was K with his hire as HC because I thought maybe he had learned to be a better coach while at Clemson.

Now I am not sure he is going to be that coach to lead OU to number 8 in my lifetime. It seems he forgot about recruiting on the O side. I fear OU is going to become NU at this point unless changes are made. Plus I hate all this freaking NIL “ Pay me or I play somewhere else crap”.

Reactions: Oklabama
That athletic column is dead on. Earlier this year, I looked at the average tenure of national championship coaches over the 2000s. If I remember correctly, it was like 2.8 years and only two coaches took longer than 3 years, Dabo Swinney and I can't remember the other. Dabo took 5 years, I think, but he also showed improvement each and every year.

If you're a floundering fish like Venables in year 3, you're never going to get it done.

Sadly OU is a bad touched fumble and Pick 6 play away from being 0-3 in conf and 2-4 overall. What is OU paying BV 9m for?

I am betting tickets will be readily available for the SC game this coming Saturday and at a discounted price.

Reactions: JConXtsy
There will be no rebuild as long as the portal and NIL have free reign. The programs willing to put up big money are still going to attract the best players available. The portal will catch all the players that want playing time they didn’t get each season. You can’t build anything cohesive and we aren’t the only ones having to deal with this. Until the portal and NIL have some dam rules to follow like transfer restrictions and a NIL cap……this is what you get. The whole thing just came about while we were weak and it’s not going to be easy to build anything cohesive and long term. I dam sure would not want to be BV in this position at all.
Id gladly switch places with BV, 8 million a year, fire me at the end of the season. I find a good DC job making a million, and probably win another NC as the DC.

Now I am not sure he is going to be that coach to lead OU to number 8 in my lifetime.

I fear OU is going to become NU at this point unless changes are made.

Two points you make sends a chill through my body. Especially the first one. I turn 78 this week so it ain’t looking good for me to see us ever get another natty. I would have never guessed that we wouldn’t back in 2001.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT