ADVERTISEMENT

Go Army! Go Sooners!

WP76

Sooner starter
Oct 4, 2001
Most conflicted I've ever been on a game in my life. I expect the Sooners to win but it wouldn't make me angry if the Cadets could at least give OU a game.

Last edited:
Most conflicted I've ever been on a game I've been in my life. I expect the Sooners to win but it wouldn't make me angry if the Cadets could at least give OU a game.
Agree, but Army will be outmanned greatly and the score should reflect it. I thought the same way in 2010 when Air Force came to town and then gave OU all it could handle, losing 24-17.
One thing about Army: it will play all out for 60 minutes.

Most conflicted I've ever been on a game I've been in my life. I expect the Sooners to win but it wouldn't make me angry if the Cadets could at least give OU a game.

Huh? Hang half a hundred on em and be done with it. Close games against inferior opponents can keep you out of the playoffs, not that we will make it this year. :D

WP, my college football interest began in the late 50's and back then, my favorite players were Prentice Gautt and David Baker of OU, Billy Cannon of LSU, Buddy Dial of Rice and Pete Dawkins of Army.
I saw the Army-Rice game in 1958 in Houston, won by Army 14-7 on a late pass to Pete Dawkins. Rice (5-5 that year) gave Army all it could handle and Army went on to have an 8-0-1 record, with a 14-14 tie vs Pittsburgh as its only blemish.
When we moved to New Jersey in 1960, we lived 90 minutes from West Point and I saw many games there....as well as the 14-8 win by OU over Army at Yankee Stadium in 1961.
Army has been my second favorite team since childhood. It is my hope they can be as competitive as Air Force and Navy have been and that may be happening right now after Army went 8-5 in 2016 and 10-3 in 2017, with two straight wins over Navy.
As for this week's game with OU, I expect a decisive win by OU....against a team with players who realize they are at West Point for a much higher purpose than football.

Can’t wait for this game and I will be there. I seen Army play at West Point against VMI in 1977 while I was going through basic training at Ft Dix, NJ. The best atmosphere for a football game I have seen. Air Force is a close second and hopefully one day I get to Annapolis to say Ive been to all 3 campuses.

1. I respect Army's players for their service but I want to pound them like I do any other team. The that's the one thing I dislike about playing the service academies. It seems some of our fans are ambivalent about beating them.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I have a feeling after yesterday that OU will have enough close games against better competition, don't need any close games from teams like Army to make our schedule look as soft as it looks up to this point. UCLA was an impressive win in name only.
I don't want OU to beat Army 100-42 but to take it easy on them would be disrespectful to them imo. I would have said 100-10 but the MS factor comes into play.
If I were Army I would start the backup QB and see what happens. :D

Reactions: iasooner1
  1. I respect Army's players for their service but I want to pound them like I do any other team. The that's the one thing I dislike about playing the service academies. It seems some of our fans are ambivalent about beating them.

The problem arises when you've been a huge OU fan for five plus decades and a Sooner season ticket holder for a number of years but one of the service academies (obviously, Army in this case) happens to be your alma mater.

WP, my college football interest began in the late 50's and back then, my favorite players were Prentice Gautt and David Baker of OU, Billy Cannon of LSU, Buddy Dial of Rice and Pete Dawkins of Army.
I saw the Army-Rice game in 1958 in Houston, won by Army 14-7 on a late pass to Pete Dawkins. Rice (5-5 that year) gave Army all it could handle and Army went on to have an 8-0-1 record, with a 14-14 tie vs Pittsburgh as its only blemish.
When we moved to New Jersey in 1960, we lived 90 minutes from West Point and I saw many games there....as well as the 14-8 win by OU over Army at Yankee Stadium in 1961.
Army has been my second favorite team since childhood. It is my hope they can be as competitive as Air Force and Navy have been and that may be happening right now after Army went 8-5 in 2016 and 10-3 in 2017, with two straight wins over Navy.
As for this week's game with OU, I expect a decisive win by OU....against a team with players who realize they are at West Point for a much higher purpose than football.

Your memories of Army football and loyalty to West Point predate mine by about 15 years. I first paid attention to Army during the Navy games I watched as a kid starting in the early 1960s. I remember seeing the clips of JFK attending the game in Philadelphia and watching Roger Staubach play so well even though his team lost to Army his senior year. I applied to both schools and, coincidentally, received my acceptance to both on the same day. While there is much about the Navy that I admire and respect, I've never regretted my decision.

No one here wants or expects OU to take it easy on Army and Army’s players and coaches don’t want an opponent to disrespect them by doing so.

OU should treat Army the same as it does any other opponent. As Billy Tubbs used to say, "it's not my job to hold our score down, it's the other coach's." I expect both teams to go all out and hope for no significant injuries on either side.

The first Army game I ever saw in person was a 77-7 thrashing at the hands of Nebraska in 1972 so I'm fully how bad it could possibly be. 8^)

Last edited:
Should be a big group coming up the HE Bailey from Fort Sill. I have nothing but respect to all those that serve or have served in the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Reserves. It will be a goose bumps start to game. Wished I could be there.

I didn't say anyone wanted OU to take it easy on them. What I should have said was I hope the team does not take them lightly or overlook them, to me those are the same things as take it easy on them but thats just me.

ADVERTISEMENT