ADVERTISEMENT

Gil Brandt says that UT chose between Dak Preskott and David Ash and as we know

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
chose Ash. Preskott, who as most know is setting it on fire as the Dallas Cowboys' rookie quarterback, grew up in Shreveport and was a Longhorn fan. He preferred them to any other school, but Mack Brown liked Ash better.

Brandt says that he used to sit in on UTexas recruiting meetings, and heard discussions about the decision to choose between the two. I guess Mack loves Gil for spreading that little bit of cheer around. It was in a DMN story this week.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...own-chose-david-ash-cowboys-star-dak-prescott

Last edited:
I read a bit of it before DMN wanted my money... Both 3 star recruits, one of those hit or miss deals... I watched Ash play at Belton his junior year in 6 or 7 games... He was good enough, and set records at Belton High, could have punted for texASS as well... He got hit a few too many times in college... He went to church with my wife's family... He was a good kid, I wish him the best...

Hindsight doesn't tell us whether or not Dak gets his bell rung and end his career early... No real way of finding out, either...

Do you guys really think that Ash was as good in his early time at Texas as Preskitt was at Miss State?

Preskitt was pretty good, pretty quick. Ash was up and down before concussions ended his career.

I don't even care to look up how Dak was in his early seasons at Miss State. I mean a thread about a 2011 class, and using the knowledge of 2016 in trying to troll a coaching staff as to why they chose one QB over another. Give me a frikin break....

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Do you guys really think that Ash was as good in his early time at Texas as Preskitt was at Miss State?

Don't know. I know what Ash looked like as a junior in 5A Texas High School football. Knowing the type offense Brown had run, and seeing how well he did in HS, I always figured he would play D1 as a starting QB. He was always a whorn fan, so it was no surprise when he went there after being offered.

Dak Prescott was a 3 star dual threat QB that ranked anywhere from 20th to 41st from what I can find... Ash was a 3 star pro style QB who ranked as high as 6th and a low of 15... Every recruiting site had him graded higher than Prescott coming out of high school that I have found...

Is there some save Charlie campaign going on? This is the story from Fox sports I ran across about AD and Mack Brown.... Adrian Peterson wanted to be a whorn...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...nghorns-blew-their-shot-at-signing-him-100716

I,ve always heard 2 things. One, was that Bob was the only coach who went to Huntsville and recruited AD's dad. And the other was 65-13.

It wasn't Mack, but the assistant coach recruiting him for Texas called him after the game. It was an odd number year so Texas hosted him. The first thing Adrian said was, "Coach, you got beat baaaaad!" And that was when he decided to be a Sooner.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
I thought his dad was in Federal Prison, not TDCJ. Which would mean Texarkana or Seagoville I think. Not sure, all my tours were at the state level, and in Texas, there are units all over the state... the only time I was in Huntsville was a week before release. There aren't many who are housed there permanently. Most who are have 15+ years and trade skills who work in different areas as slaves for the state...

Ya he did federal time. You're right, Huntsville is a TDC joint.

Although limited, my knowledge of Texas prisons comes from personal experience that I wish on no one, yet is beneficial for some...

I know Texas changed from being department of corrections to department of criminal justice for a reason... they don't correct anything, but their brand of justice is one of a kind... ha!

Reactions: BillyRay
Although limited, my knowledge of Texas prisons comes from personal experience that I wish on no one, yet is beneficial for some...

I know Texas changed from being department of corrections to department of criminal justice for a reason... they don't correct anything, but their brand of justice is one of a kind... ha!
Well I never worked TDC or TDCJ, but many of the guys I work with got their start with the state before coming over to the federal side. And their stories are pretty damn crazy. It's a TOTALLY different world for sure.

Dak already has one head injury, anybody see that fight about a year ago on youtube? Dak and some miss st players were at a rap concert and an altercation took place in the parking lot afterward. Well the state players got their butts kicked by some students from a community college in Tennessee, Dak took a bottle to the forehead. I will look for the vid and post in a sec.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT