ADVERTISEMENT

Getting torched by TT and OSU a good thing...

soonermade

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2001
Hear me out. We won, which is the ultimate goal, but getting torched by TT and OSU should shed any doubt that McNeal would become the permanent DC, thank God! Remember, McNeil is a good buddy of Riley's so just a slight improvement might have made him a permanent choice.

I hope you’re right. But LR is a good guy and see him having a hard time cutting his mentor and friend. Maybe they can find another spot on the staff for Ruff to make it easier for LR to pull the trigger. If you thought he had a hard time firing Mike, whom he didn’t know 4 years ago, Ruffin is that x 10.

I hope you’re right. But LR is a good guy and see him having a hard time cutting his mentor and friend. Maybe they can find another spot on the staff for Ruff to make it easier for LR to pull the trigger. If you thought he had a hard time firing Mike, whom he didn’t know 4 years ago, Ruffin is that x 10.
Good point.....but college football is a business and it takes smart decisions, however harsh.....to succeed.

I never said anything about releasing him, I said this should shed any doubt making him the permanent DC. However, if LR wants to win a NC, he has to hire a great DC that knows how to recruit.

Just my gut feeling, I think Ruffin will be given the full time job as DC after the season. Similar to what happened at Tech in 2007 when he was the Intetim DC there and then promoted to DC in 2008.
I think thats why Riley brought him in, he knew MS would have to be let go eventually and Ruffin would already be in place to step in and take over making for a smooth transition. For all we know he told Ruffin that was his plan when he hired him. Speculation of course. The only question is does Ruffin want the job? I believe he does and will surely get a shot at it.
I hope I am very wrong.

Just my gut feeling, I think Ruffin will be given the full time job as DC after the season. Similar to what happened at Tech in 2007 when he was the Intetim DC there and then promoted to DC in 2008.
I think thats why Riley brought him in, he knew MS would have to be let go eventually and Ruffin would already be in place to step in and take over making for a smooth transition. For all we know he told Ruffin that was his plan when he hired him. Speculation of course. The only question is does Ruffin want the job? I believe he does and will surely get a shot at it.
I hope I am very wrong.

it won’t happen trust me

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I thought it was understood that Ruffin would just be a temporary situation. I don't think he is even wanting or expecting to be the head DC. My guess is he will still be on staff but in a different position.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I figure Ruffin had the experience to fill in after Mike was let go.
When the season's over, LR and Joe C go out and find the next Bob Stoops for DC.
Ruffin goes back to his previous position at OU - namely, Riley's confidant.

I hope I am very wrong.

ZERO chance this happens so not worried Golding baby

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
There were rumblings in the stadium saturday about OU going after some assistant on Bamas staff. Anyone else heard this? I don't know his name

There were rumblings in the stadium saturday about OU going after some assistant on Bamas staff. Anyone else heard this? I don't know his name

It’s Golding. The thing that scares me about him is he JUST got on the staff this year. He came from UTSA... I don’t know if he’s ready for all these offenses but hopefully it works out. I mean Bama just faced the 104th and 106th passing teams it’s nothing like we face almost week to week. I don’t know if Golding can recruit well either. The great thing is he’s young like Lincoln and he can grow.

It’s Golding. The thing that scares me about him is he JUST got on the staff this year. He came from UTSA... I don’t know if he’s ready for all these offenses but hopefully it works out. I mean Bama just faced the 104th and 106th passing teams it’s nothing like we face almost week to week. I don’t know if Golding can recruit well either. The great thing is he’s young like Lincoln and he can grow.

I like the idea of a young and hungry coach, but I agree there could be some growing pains with someone like that. I just hope Castiglione has a lot of input and doesn't leave it totally up to Riley

Reactions: thatdude35
Get rid of Cooks and hire a DC that works with the secondary, Vines is on staff for recruiting, so let him work is magic. Golding has experience with the secondary so maybe he could be the guy.

Bring in Golding, who cares if he's ready or not?! Thinks can NOT get worse on the Defensive side of the ball.

Got to get a better DL coach too. Some guy with more input than charging straight ahead. This defense is ridiculously predictable. This is not the conference to be predictable whatsoever. You let the pocket QB stand back there and pick us apart...and you give up 400-500 yards easily. DB and DL need much better coaching period.

Got to get a better DL coach too. Some guy with more input than charging straight ahead. This defense is ridiculously predictable. This is not the conference to be predictable whatsoever. You let the pocket QB stand back there and pick us apart...and you give up 400-500 yards easily. DB and DL need much better coaching period.

Most ppl think Calvin is safe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT