ADVERTISEMENT

Generalized football question

HerculesRockefeller

Sooner starter
Aug 26, 2014
Free the V
Lot of debate about the CFP rankings last night. I got to thinking, "How do we collectively define a 'great' team?" There's obviously no consensus. But here's the breakdown for me.

Does a Top 4 team beat all inferior opponents, and lose to perhaps 1 opponent with equal or greater talent (ND)? So biggest game of the year, they come up short when the bright lights shine. But... they beat all other opponents on their schedule except the elite one.

Or does a Top 4 team lose to one inferior opponent (Alabama, OU), but beat every other team including those teams with roughly equal/very good talent? Biggest stage of the year - they come through in primetime and beat down a couple highly ranked opponents.

Personally, I want to see the good-great teams you've beaten. Slipping up to an inferior opponent can happen for a number of reasons. That being said, no team is playing as well as OU is right now.

That's part of what Ohio State had going for it last year. Bad loss to a mediocre VA Tech team at home (early on), but when the lights came on they crushed the better teams on their schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.